Bills sign G Forrest Lamp

I will be interested to hear from camp and see in pre-season (if we get one) whether they try Lamp at center at all. McDermott has talked in the past about his preference for having a backup center who isn't a starter, I remember him talking to Howard and Jeremy about it and saying "ideally that's what you'd like to have" or words to that effect so that when you center goes down you only need to make 1 change on the line rather than 2. I actually think Morse to Feliciano at center is very little drop off but Lamp is similar in playing style to Morse and just a little shorter and I just wonder whether it might an option that they are thinking about.

3 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

He was a good pass blocker for Herbert last year, that has always been his strength. The Chargers power inside run scheme really isn't a fit for him though. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is a smart signing, along with the other veteran OL signings.  A few thoughts:

1.  If you sign 3 or 4 veteran OL with starting experience, chances are that at least one of them will do well in the Bills program and be a significant contributor.  Sign 1, maybe not, sign 3 or 4, your odds go up.

2.  Even if these guys don't become significant contributors, they provide solid injury depth.  Given their starting experience, they won't be "deer in the headlights" if thrust into action.

3.  Going this route allows you to draft OL in the late rounds or go the UDFA route.  Based on how many linemen take time to develop, and the unpredictability of drafting linemen (as was mentioned earlier in the thread), this is a smart route.  A guy like Boetteger is a great example of a UDFA OL who developed over few years into a solid player.  Bates could turn out to be another.  You can save your higher draft picks for other positions, and develop an OL or 2 at the back of the roster or on the practice squad while you have veteran depth in front of them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

OMG. Deja vu. He was the guy drafted immediately after Zay Jones. I thought Lamp was pretty good based on the senior bowl practice tales and tape in 2017 - but it was not a position of need for us. And we know the 2017 Senior Bowl was where McD did his first serious in-person scouting for the Bills (Dawkins, Peterman etc.). I remember he more than held his own against those Alabama guys - Jonathan Allen and Ryan Anderson. I think he switched to guard because of having short arms - but I wouldnt mind giving him a run at backup tackle as well.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

wonder why the chargers moved on from him - continuity in front of Herbert cant be a bad thing, no?

New coaching staff, prior injury concerns and didn't grade out great by PFF. I'm sure there's a reason for it, all I can say is low cost possible high reward signing but time will tell. 

37 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

wonder why the chargers moved on from him - continuity in front of Herbert cant be a bad thing, no?

They upgraded their interior with the Feiler and Linsley signings.  Oday Aboushi is also pry a slight upgrade.  

2 hours ago, turftoe said:

I'm not sure there is any way to spin the Wyatt Teller trade in a positive light. I've heard people say it helped with the Diggs trade and such but it was a fail on Beane's part. Teller has been a beast in Cleveland. He has been one of there best lineman.

I don’t think it was a fail on Beane’s part at all. He went with what he knew and trusted his evaluations. Good on Teller for continuing to develop in Cleveland. He might not have just as easily.

3 hours ago, turftoe said:

I'm not sure there is any way to spin the Wyatt Teller trade in a positive light. I've heard people say it helped with the Diggs trade and such but it was a fail on Beane's part. Teller has been a beast in Cleveland. He has been one of there best lineman.

Except when it comes to Pass Pro. 

2 hours ago, gobills404 said:

So my theory is Lamp wanted to wear the 2 best retro jerseys in the league in his career.  Chargers powder blue and Bills all Whites with standing Buffalo helmet.

Seriously, see PFF scouting report when he came out. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-forrest-lamp-g-western-kentucky

Played LT at a small school, projected to OG or OC at NFL level.  Maybe an audition in camp at C/G to see if he can be main interior backup.

Edited by freddyjj
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, turftoe said:

This made me laugh.  I guess it's true that the picks helped in the Diggs trade, but it's not like the Diggs trade wouldn't have happened if the Bills hadn't made the Teller trade.  

I don't think the Teller trade was a disaster or to use your word, a "fail," but it IS amusing the extent to which people will go to defend Beane.   I think Beane has been excellent, but nobody gets them all right.  If Beane had a chance to undo that one, I'm sure he would.  

Mickey Mantle struck out once in a while, and so does Beane.  

• Like (+1) 2