Bills sign G Forrest Lamp

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I guess, but you’d think these vet minimum guys number 1 priority would be going to a place they can make the 53 man roster and get their $900k base guaranteed.  

Except not how it is. See NE signings like these for the Years Brady was there. Players know good teams give them exposure. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure if their blocking scheme changed at all with coaching shift but that could be a reason. He’s a zone-based fit which is what the Bills appear to be moving toward. 

Bills said they moved to a power based scheme at the end of last year. Beane said that actually. Which is why the Morse talk started. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

23 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

With all the OL signings a lot of Competition and assets that could be moved for picks instead of outright cuts near end of camp. There are many talented OL ok this team that came get a 5th or below at end of camp instead of cut. 

People want to play for winners. And Beane and McD will start the players that earn it. These players see that and know they will have a clean slate shot to win a job. 

And maybe how the Wyatt Teller trade turned out for Cleveland helps Beane. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Why do these vet minimum guys with a fair amount of NFL playing time keep signing here?  Beane basically returned his entire 53 man roster that went 13-3.  There’s gotta be other teams where they’d have a better shot at making the roster.  

In this particular case, I think it's because the Bills are weak at offensive guard. Easier to earn a starting spot here than it would be with a lot of other teams.

This kind of addition is really emblematic of how this team is being managed. This team believes that players can learn, they can get better, their value is not a fixed, static quality. That is really what this team is about and Josh is just the most obvious example but you can find that ethos up and down the roster. It isn't because they are finding great players that were somehow overlooked. They are finding guys who just need to get a little bit better to really be an asset to the team and then they help them do just that, get better.  And then they re-sign them.

Coaches actually coaching? What is the world coming to?

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Mickey said:

This kind of addition is really emblematic of how this team is being managed. This team believes that players can learn, they can get better, their value is not a fixed, static quality. That is really what this team is about and Josh is just the most obvious example but you can find that ethos up and down the roster. It isn't because they are finding great players that were somehow overlooked. They are finding guys who just need to get a little bit better to really be an asset to the team and then they help them do just that, get better.  And then they re-sign them.

They have said repeatedly that they want coaches who are also 'teachers'. That is evident as seen in the growth and development of many of the players on the roster.

7 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

And maybe how the Wyatt Teller trade turned out for Cleveland helps Beane. 

I'm not sure there is any way to spin the Wyatt Teller trade in a positive light. I've heard people say it helped with the Diggs trade and such but it was a fail on Beane's part. Teller has been a beast in Cleveland. He has been one of there best lineman.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, turftoe said:

I'm not sure there is any way to spin the Wyatt Teller trade in a positive light. I've heard people say it helped with the Diggs trade and such but it was a fail on Beane's part. Teller has been a beast in Cleveland. He has been one of there best lineman.

I think what may have induced Lamp to sign here may not have been the Teller trade, so much as the Williams story. Williams came here looking to revive his career, earned a starting spot, played well, and has now received an extension. I'm guessing Lamp is looking to do that exact same thing at offensive guard.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, turftoe said:

one miss, how many players/trades has Beane hit on? Losing Teller hurts yes but think all of Beane's good outweighs all the bad. 

22 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Thanks for this.   I think many people don't see that this philosophy is at the core of the how the Bills operate.  

The Bills believe their players can learn to play better.  They believe that they should have an offense and a defense that is continually evolving, becoming more complex and more nuanced, so it can perform in different ways.   And they believe they can make that work because their players can learn to fit themselves into that scheme.  

So, the Bills look for players who believe in the Growth Mindset, and they ask those players to invest in themselves by committing to get better.  They go looking for guys, in the draft and in free agency, who have shown the ability and interest in continual improvement.  

And this signing also relates to two related points.   One is that Beane likes to sign guys who have underperformed coming off their rookie deals.  A guy like Lamp, who went high in the second round of the draft, has the physical tools to play the game at a high level, but he underperformed for some reason, so his original team didn't lock him up.  The Bills pursue guys like that, telling them to come to Buffalo on a short-term deal and prove to themselves and their coaches that they can learn and grow.   And when a guy does show that, the Bills re-sign them, like Feliciano and Williams.  

The other point here is that offensive linemen in the draft are a crapshoot.  I saw something here recently about how many first-round offensive tackles have underperformed.   They're a crapshoot because college offenses don't require these guys to learn any offensive line techniques - just stick the guy across from you and stay with him for a one-count, and the play is gone.   They aren't pass blocking for 3-4 seconds, and they aren't running complicated running schemes.   So, a lot of the offensive linemen who make it in the NFL make it after having bounced around the league for a few years, on practice squads or on the bench, getting a few starts here and there, learning technique, building their bodies to the needs of the league.  Then, around year three or four, they emerge as starters.  Not everyone, of course, but many of them.   Beane clearly would rather get three or four offensive line prospects in their third or fourth or fifth seasons and try them out than burn a number one or two pick on a guy they hope will work out.    Clearly, they were high on Ford, but Ford is an example of the problem.   Not only has he been hurt; when he has played, he hasn't shown that he is a solid NFL starter.  HE simply didn't learn enough playing college football at a high level that translated immediately to the NFL.

I think this signing is what we can expect from Beane, year after year.   Will he chase a high-end offensive line free agent, and take a tackle in the first round?   Yes, maybe, but he's going to have to be really sold on the guy.  (It would be interesting to know what Beane thinks about the Morse signing, for example, now that he's a couple seasons into it.)  In the meantime, he'll keep on signing five guys who've been around the league for several years, expecting that two of them will stick, and of the two, one will become a keeper.  

13 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

I think what may have induced Lamp to sign here may not have been the Teller trade, so much as the Williams story. Williams came here looking to revive his career, earned a starting spot, played well, and has now received an extension. I'm guessing Lamp is looking to do that exact same thing at offensive guard.

I agree.  Players are seeing that Buffalo is a place where they can succeed, and when they succeed they are rewarded with a contract.   Williams is one example.   Milano is another.  

And they're seeing that guys like Feliciano, who might have made a few bucks more someplace else, also are staying, because this is a team they want to be with.  

I've said this before.  At the end of his press conference at the end of the season, McDermott said the Bills are a team where players can come to play the best football of their lives.   That quote is at the end of the Bills video about the Growth Mindset.  McDermott is selling that point, and I think guys like Lamp are buying it. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That's a good pickup. He was rated pretty highly coming out of college. Saw plenty of mocks here that had him going to the Bills. Hopefully it's just been injuries that have stunted his career a bit. He played every snap last season for the Chargers so that's a positive sign. I still think it's Ford and Feliciano at the two guard spots but this dude could give either one a run for their money if he catches onto the scheme quickly and all that. 

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Makes me feel a lot better about the 4th string guard.  I think the plan might be to use Bates as the swing tackle this year.

Dawkins-Ford-Morse-Feliciano-Williams

Bates-Ike-Lamp-Hart

I really wasn't all that impressed with the Devey and Douglas signings.  I like this one much better.

Beane stocking up on tradeable assets coming out of camp