Georgia election laws and MLB

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Hurt my feeling? I am a teacher and I am married to a teacher- that makes you wrong. You pontificated that I was too dumb to understand a teachers life. So in other words my facts prove your opinion wrong.

When you know your opinion is not based in fact then you are lying.

So, now I'm curious - I just did a search on your username and teacher and my username and teacher - with no date parameters - I couldn't find such statements where I explained to you how you are too stupid to understand what it is like to be a teacher last August.

I can't find it but since it clearly struck a nerve, so please send the link - it must be out there but I don't see it.

I did find this gem though - lmao

image.thumb.png.6cfac2a186056cc8a126019d7c50c647.png

Edited by BillStime

Back to the thread...........

Gov. Brian Kemp signed the bill on March 31. Certain provisions will go into effect on July 1:

• Special ballots will be created for nonpartisan elections
  • Ballots must be printed in black and white ink on security paper
  • A cutoff date of 11 days before a primary, general election or runoff election for mail-in ballot applications
  • A deadline for the issuance of absentee ballots at least 25 days before a federal primary, general election or special election or 22 days before a municipal general election or primary
  • A Georgia state driver's license number, ID card number, date of birth and the last four digits of a social security number or another approved form of identification must be printed on the outside of an absentee ballot
  • Conditions for rejecting absentee ballots if certain requirements are not met

What about early voting?

The law expands in-person early voting for general elections, according to The AJC. Two early-voting periods are required on a Saturday for each county, with optional voting on Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (hours may be extended to 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.).

In prior elections, early voting began on the fourth Monday before a primary or election and ended the Friday before an election day, according to the state's official website. For runoff elections, voting began as soon as possible before election day. 

Some leaders of Georgia's Black churches say the new schedule will affect voting after church services, also known as "souls to the polls."

The voting period for runoff elections was also shortened from nine weeks to four weeks.

Refreshments for voters waiting in line

The law bans people aside from poll workers from soliciting votes or signatures from voters. The distribution or display of campaign materials is also restricted to 150 feet of the "outer edge" of a polling location or within 25 feet of a person waiting in line to vote. Offering money and gifts – including food or drink – to a voter is prohibited. In a rebuke of the proposal last month, Georgia Senate Minority Leader Gloria Butler, a Democrat, said Republican lawmakers "want to make it a crime to bring Grandma some water while she’s waiting in line.”

Voters have waited hours in long lines at polling places in recent elections,  especially in Black neighborhoods. 

Poll officers are permitted to distribute materials encouraging voter participation as required by law. Officers may also make self-service water available to voters.

Training for poll watchers

Training provided by the political party, political body or candidate designating the poll watcher is a prerequisite for qualifying for or being appointed a poll watcher. Those responsible for designating poll watchers must attest to their training under oath.

New rules for ballot drop boxes

A board of registrars or absentee ballot clerk may supply one drop box for absentee by mail voters at the respective offices or inside advanced voting locations. Additional drop boxes are restricted to one per 100,000 active registered voters in a county or the number of advanced voting locations. The boxes are only accessible during advanced voting. 

The number of drop boxes for Georgia's four most populous counties, Fulton, Cobb, DeKalb and Gwinnett, will drop from 94 in 2020 to 23 in 2022, according to The Times.

Deadlines for tabulating absentee ballots

Elections superintendents must report the returns of verified and accepted absentee ballots by 5 p.m. the day following an election day. In the event of a missed deadline, the State Election Board may convene to conduct an independent review.

In prior elections, absentee ballots were accepted until 7 p.m. on an election day. The law allowed a week to finalize and certify the final vote count, according to the AJC.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/04/10/georgia-new-voting-law-explained/7133587002/

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

When you know your opinion is not based in fact then you are lying.

Oh I disagree with this.  Opinions can be based on conjecture and hypothesis.  It's when an argument is presented as a fact when in reality it is an opinion.  That's not a lie. That's just poor debate IMO  

Perfect example is @BillStime couching this Bill is racist as a fact when it's actually just his opinion.   This is why I call him, and others out on it.  So instead of saying "the Bill IS racists" (presented as a fact) it would be better if he said something along the lines of "this Bill feels to me to be racist" (presented as an opinion).  Now if he comes back with verified proof of the Republicans saying "we need to pass this through so fewer black people vote" I'll buy him a beer and congratulate him on a job well done.   Until that time............ 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Oh I disagree with this.  Opinions can be based on conjecture and hypothesis.  It's when an argument is presented as a fact when in reality it is an opinion.  That's not a lie. That's just poor debate IMO  

Perfect example is @BillStime couching this Bill is racist as a fact when it's actually just his opinion.   This is why I call him, and others out on it.  So instead of saying "the Bill IS racists" (presented as a fact) it would be better if he said something along the lines of "this Bill feels to me to be racist" (presented as an opinion).  Now if he comes back with verified proof of the Republicans saying "we need to pass this through so fewer black people vote" I'll buy him a beer and congratulate him on a job well done.   Until that time............ 

Your perspective on what is fact or opinion is irrelevant; especially with your track here with hundreds of comments dismissing anything race related.

12 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Your perspective on what is fact or opinion is irrelevant; especially with your track here with hundreds of comments dismissing anything race related.

A few things about this post.

1.  The fact that you're searching my posts is both flattering and creepy

2.  Every one of those posts is me dismissing anything race related?  That's not your OPINION that's a LIE.

3.  So less than one half of one percent of all my posts are related to race means what exactly?  

You're clutching at straws my friend.  Pretty sad. 

38 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

A few things about this post.

1.  The fact that you're searching my posts is both flattering and creepy

2.  Every one of those posts is me dismissing anything race related?  That's not your OPINION that's a LIE.

3.  So less than one half of one percent of all my posts are related to race means what exactly?  

You're clutching at straws my friend.  Pretty sad. 

Oh, you don't like me reviewing your 226 entries countering racism?  Did that bother you? This is a message board - full of debate, right?  

This game is old Jim. You have your beliefs and I have mine.  There has been a consistent and systematic attempt to disenfranchise voters in Georgia; a state with a long history of discrimination - if that wasn't true; no GQP would support this bill.

Straws me a$$

Why Do Nonwhite Georgia Voters Have To Wait In Line For Hours? Too Few Polling Places

Democracy Diverted: Polling Place Closures and the Right to Vote

Georgia, a state where 31 percent of the population is African American and 9 percent is Latino, has 214 fewer polling places. Georgia stands out because its counties have closed higher percentages of voting locations than any other state in our study. The top five closers of polling places by percentage were Georgia counties: The top three counties in the state were Lumpkin (89 percent closed); Stephens (88 percent closed); and Warren, which is 61 percent African American (83 percent closed). Bacon County, which is 15 percent African American, and Butts County, which is 28 percent African American, tied with 80 percent closed. Seven counties with major polling place reductions now have only one polling site to serve hundreds of square miles. In a February 2015 memo, the office of Brian Kemp, who was then serving as Georgia’s secretary of state, encouraged counties to consolidate voting locations. He specifically spelled out twice — in bold font — that “as a result of the Shelby vs. Holder [sic] Supreme Court decision, [counties are] no longer required to submit polling place changes to the Department of Justice for preclearance.”

A look into Georgia’s history of voter suppression

Precinct closures harm voter turnout in Georgia, AJC analysis finds

Why didn't the new voting law reopen some of these voting sites; especially in growing counties that are blue and minority?

Say it Jim.  Give me more of your opinion -- cuz it means ZERO to me.

19 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Oh, you don't like me reviewing your 226 entries countering racism? 

I go no further.  This is a lie.  I don't like talking with liars.  When you have to lie to make your point in a debate is a very good indicator you have lost said debate.  

58 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I go no further.  This is a lie.  I don't like talking with liars.  When you have to lie to make your point in a debate is a very good indicator you have lost said debate.  

See? Everyone is a liar when facts aren't convenient - typical GQP.

You’re the one w 229 entires of denial.  Maybe you should work on that obsession.

58 minutes ago, BillStime said:

See? Everyone is a liar when facts aren't convenient - typical GQP.

You’re the one w 229 entires of denial.  Maybe you should work on that obsession.

what facts and what denials are you talking about?

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

Now this is funny - did the GQP posters here get the talking points in advance?  Or did they advise Christie that this approach works! LMAO

Everyone else is a liar when the GQP come up empty.

Ummmm no. You’ve come up empty.  You have been all over on this topic while those of us in the right have been 100% consistent.  

Once a liar always a liar?  Isn’t that how it goes?

Get back to us when you get proof of the closed door conversations that this bill was created and passed to specifically target black peoples. Until they present your feels as facts. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/13/2021 at 12:07 PM, BillStime said:

Georgia has a history of disenfranchising minority voters - what changed? 

Nothing 

Domocrats still doing it sine before 1860.

• Agree 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/548069-poll-mlb-favorability-sinks-among-gop-amid-voting-law%3famp

This shows that overall baseball took a large hit from this decision. What I find most interesting is that baseball of all the sports seems the most linked to old conservative fans, NBA doing it makes much more sense than MLB.

On 4/11/2021 at 10:14 AM, oldmanfan said:

For the 2020 election, there were 94 drop boxes across the four counties that make up the core of metropolitan Atlanta: Fulton, Cobb, DeKalb and Gwinnett. The new law limits the same four counties to a total of, at most, 23 drop boxes, based on the latest voter registration data. The number could be lower depending on how many early-voting sites the counties provide.

Does anyone know how many drop boxes there were in 2016?  Was this maybe a covid thing?

Edited by Tenhigh

On 4/15/2021 at 7:21 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/548069-poll-mlb-favorability-sinks-among-gop-amid-voting-law%3famp

This shows that overall baseball took a large hit from this decision. What I find most interesting is that baseball of all the sports seems the most linked to old conservative fans, NBA doing it makes much more sense than MLB.

They had no choice. The players likely would’ve threatened to protest and not play. 

It’s never a bad decision to be on the right side of history on a no-brainer like this issue.

Edited by The Governor

25 minutes ago, The Governor said:

They had no choice. The players likely would’ve threatened to protest and not play. 

It’s never a bad decision to be on the right side of history on a no-brainer like this issue.

It is amazing that you can see being completely political as a no brainer. You might be pretending it is a civil rights idea but many liberal states have more restrictions on voting so that would simply be pointing out your ignorance.

32 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

It is amazing that you can see being completely political as a no brainer. You might be pretending it is a civil rights idea but many liberal states have more restrictions on voting so that would simply be pointing out your ignorance.

We get it. You don’t want certain people to vote. That’s being on the wrong side of history. Mail-in voting is here to stay.