Georgia election laws and MLB

16 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Over 50%.  Now, quit being such an insufferable a-hole.

Nope.  Not even close.  If I'm making you feel like I'm being an a-hole I'm doing my job.  

So let's look at the numbers.  Based on 2019 counts the metro Atlanta area had about 6,000,000 inhabitants. Here is the breakdown.

White - 52.8%

Black or African American - 34.4%

Asian - 6.1%

Hispanic or Latino - 10.9%

Foreign Born - 13.8%

So based on these numbers it appears those most affected by the reduction of ballot boxes in the Metro Atlanta area you brought up would be White residents.  

And I didn't use a Fox linked site for my numbers.  I used the ATL Chamber of Commerce.  

https://www.metroatlantachamber.com/resources/reports-and-information/executive-profile

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Nope.  Not even close.  If I'm making you feel like I'm being an a-hole I'm doing my job.  

So let's look at the numbers.  Based on 2019 counts the metro Atlanta area had about 6,000,000 inhabitants. Here is the breakdown.

White - 52.8%

Black or African American - 34.4%

Asian - 6.1%

Hispanic or Latino - 10.9%

Foreign Born - 13.8%

So based on these numbers it appears those most affected by the reduction of ballot boxes in the Metro Atlanta area you brought up would be White residents.  

And I didn't use a Fox linked site for my numbers.  I used the ATL Chamber of Commerce.  

https://www.metroatlantachamber.com/resources/reports-and-information/executive-profile

Where do most of the black voters in Georgia live is the question to ask.  In the counties in and around Atlanta and other cities.

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I’m sorry but you are absolutely wrong about being able to throw out legally cast ballots.  The state legislature in Georgia can take over control of elections from counties if they feel there is something questionable in that county.  They have taken away responsibility of elections from the Secretary of State.  Ask yourself why.  You can’t be that naive.

You literally complained that the long lines are only in democrat areas as well as other problems and then you blame the state for making a way to change that. In FL if we have major voting issues we know it is gonna be the three idiot counties in southeast FL, the only heavily democratic counties. The law is written similar to FL which will not allow them to remove someone mid election but will hopefully allow them to keep from having someone like Brenda Snipes. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-ne-brenda-snipes-ends-court-case-20190124-story.html%3foutputType=amp

I am happy though you got through a whole post without mentioning Trump.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You literally complained that the long lines are only in democrat areas as well as other problems and then you blame the state for making a way to change that. In FL if we have major voting issues we know it is gonna be the three idiot counties in southeast FL, the only heavily democratic counties. The law is written similar to FL which will not allow them to remove someone mid election but will hopefully allow them to keep from having someone like Brenda Snipes. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-ne-brenda-snipes-ends-court-case-20190124-story.html%3foutputType=amp

I am happy though you got through a whole post without mentioning Trump.

I truly hope that when a Republican legislature sees long lines in a Democratic county that they will open more polling places.  But of course they could have done that last election but you still had very long lines in counties that are primarily Democratic.  Color me skeptical.

I want everybody to be able to vote.  I would make the same comments if a Democratic legislature did this to highly Republican counties.  Can you say the same?

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I truly hope that when a Republican legislature sees long lines in a Democratic county that they will open more polling places.  But of course they could have done that last election but you still had very long lines in counties that are primarily Democratic.  Color me skeptical.

I want everybody to be able to vote.  I would make the same comments if a Democratic legislature did this to highly Republican counties.  Can you say the same?

I don't care who the rules are passed by or who it effects politically, I care that the vote is made secure and people have equal access across the state, if this was being passed in June of 2024 I would say it is wrong but the rules are now open and plain. My neighbor last year recieved a ballot for his mother from Pennsylvania who died around 2012 therefore making someone verify they want it by mail is important, I don't trust drop boxes that are not monitored, and as for long lines I understand that they are a function of democrat areas because most people don't have three hours to spend in line but those without jobs certainly do, especially if you are feeding them the whole time. Lastly in order to enroll your kids in an Orange County school you must have a valid ID, and there are no exceptions, if they can get an ID for that then the voting ID should not be a problem.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Everyone is able to vote. Plenty of options, and plenty of time to accomplish it. 

This thread has gone completely a different direction then I had hoped, and I wanted to discuss it much more along the MLB angle. I have read that the ratings of the national games are down but that is a small sample size, can anyone speak to ratings otherwise? Basically will MLB pick up some new fans by doing this or just tick off the conservative fans and lose out due to it?

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

This thread has gone completely a different direction then I had hoped, and I wanted to discuss it much more along the MLB angle. I have read that the ratings of the national games are down but that is a small sample size, can anyone speak to ratings otherwise? Basically will MLB pick up some new fans by doing this or just tick off the conservative fans and lose out due to it?

I helped take it off the rails so I apologize.  MLB will normalize and stay about the same I suspect.  Some hardcore people might leave and pick up some hardcore on the other side of the aisle.  With time feelings will subside.

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

They didn’t make the wait times in line less during the 2020 primaries and/or general.  But you know what requires that?  That’s righ.  This racist Jim Crow on steroids Bill does. 

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

WRONG THREAD

Perfect thread for this.  Let’s go to the tape shall we...

The Bill makes it impossible for a black person to get a drink of water!  This Bill is racist and worse than Jim Crow!!  What?  Oh the Bill actually makes provisions for water stations at the polling places??  Well ok but those long lines. Those are racist and worse than Jim Crow. What? Oh the Bill addresses those?  Ok how about drop boxes??  They reduced the number of drops boxes!!  What?  You mean drop boxes weren’t even around before 2020 and were only put in place due to Covid?  Yeah but still drop boxes are hard to find!!  What?  You mean those ballots can be dropped in any mailbox?  ***** I got nuthin.

You sure do. 

17 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I helped take it off the rails so I apologize.  MLB will normalize and stay about the same I suspect.  Some hardcore people might leave and pick up some hardcore on the other side of the aisle.  With time feelings will subside.

Guilty as charged too. But it’s the unfortunate (and sometimes entertaining) aspect of this sub-forum. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Decisions like that aren’t made unless they can make money.....or at least not lose money.

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Where do most of the black voters in Georgia live is the question to ask.  In the counties in and around Atlanta and other cities.

In 2000, I lived in Cobb County and that was mostly white and Hispanic. I’m not exactly sure if the demographics have changed all that much since then but the political leanings sure did. That’s a purple and sometimes blue district now.

Thst was Newt Gingrich’s old district! So much has changed.

Edited by The Governor

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

PR play by MLB... guarantee it was calculated and the study/projection about the very question you ask was in the executives inbox’s before they took a stand.  

could also be that Maybe the players union pushed it? These unions often push companies for social stances so they can justify the cut of pay they take from their members. 

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Actually I like arguing as long as the other party is being honest- it went a different direction but still on a set of rails, just not the ones I expected initially. 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

PR play by MLB... guarantee it was calculated and the study/projection about the very question you ask was in the executives inbox’s before they took a stand.  

could also be that Maybe the players union pushed it? These unions often push companies for social stances so they can justify the cut of pay they take from their members. 

I agree MLB thinks it will bring them some young fans but I bet it loses them more, at least initially, and I doubt people who are impressed by it stick around for long.

19 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Seethe video on  my post above.