TBD with Ads is the greatest!

Jobot

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

The Ads have continued to get worse. There has to be a better way. 

You know, when this thread started, @SDS was on here expressing constructive concern about when the ads were being seen - were you logged in? from the News section?  In Community?  What kind of ads, were they generally perceived as intrusive and why?

So Kudos for you for finding the old thread instead of starting a new one to grouse, but how about providing some more details so that he can understand what you perceive as "worse"?

-when you see the ads you find "worse", are you logged in, or not logged in as a member?

-where are you seeing the ads you find "worse" (eg where are you on the page)

-what make them "worse"?

That would probably be helpful and of interest to Scott. 

Sometimes new ad strategies do show up and can be tweaked by him so that they are less annoying or certain advertisers with sketchy ads can be blocked.

But just "they're worse!" doesn't help with that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/6/2021 at 9:27 AM, Jobot said:

Force feed ads that you have to click on is the latest greatest craze!

Maybe if I'm positive about this forum my post won't get taken down? Either way, super great call leaders!

I really havent noticed much in terms of forced ads. The site runs great for me. I cant imagine the personal investment of someone’s time it must take to keep this site running as smoothly as it does.  Im grateful. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know, when this thread started, @SDS was on here expressing constructive concern about when the ads were being seen - were you logged in? from the News section?  In Community?  What kind of ads, were they generally perceived as intrusive and why?

So Kudos for you for finding the old thread instead of starting a new one to grouse, but how about providing some more details so that he can understand what you perceive as "worse"?

-when you see the ads you find "worse", are you logged in, or not logged in as a member?

-where are you seeing the ads you find "worse" (eg where are you on the page)

-what make them "worse"?

That would probably be helpful and of interest to Scott. 

Sometimes new ad strategies do show up and can be tweaked by him so that they are less annoying or certain advertisers with sketchy ads can be blocked.

But just "they're worse!" doesn't help with that.

I generally stay logged in as a member. Whenever I log in now there seems to be a big banner ad taking up my whole cell phone screen that has to be circumvented to get through to the site. I think one of frustrations is that the method to click out of the ad seems to be inconsistent. Sometimes I click the top right X and that takes care of it. Often I click the wrong thing and get taken into the ad and not the site. If the same method for clicking out of the ad worked every time that would make it easier. I don’t know why these big full screens are necessary. Aren’t subtle side ads enough to sustain the site. The team is good now so the ads should be getting smaller and not larger. 

1 minute ago, Charles Romes said:

I generally stay logged in as a member. Whenever I log in now there seems to be a big banner ad taking up my whole cell phone screen that has to be circumvented to get through to the site. I think one of frustrations is that the method to click out of the ad seems to be inconsistent. Sometimes I click the top right X and that takes care of it. Often I click the wrong thing and get taken into the ad and not the site. If the same method for clicking out of the ad worked every time that would make it easier. I don’t know why these big full screens are necessary. Aren’t subtle side ads enough to sustain the site. The team is good now so the ads should be getting smaller and not larger. 

OK, thanks!

So the issue is that when you log in, there's a big banner ad that you have to dismiss to log in, but it's not always clear what you have to do to dismiss it?

Anyone else having these issues?

I have to admit I usually stay logged in on my mobile device

I don't want anyone messing with our adds, they are vital for planning future purchases.

If it wasn't for adds I might do something stupid, like depositing money in the bank

So, knock it off....

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, thanks!

So the issue is that when you log in, there's a big banner ad that you have to dismiss to log in, but it's not always clear what you have to do to dismiss it?

Yes, that. But better yet why not just get rid of the full screen ads altogether.  I don’t even mind an ad that takes up 80 percent of my screen if I can easily scroll past it without clicking anything.  The problem is that all the FULL SCREEN ads must be clicked out of, and the makers of these ads have a vested interest in the user clicking into rather than out of the ad. Any “less than full screen” ad can be scrolled past without risk of clicking anything that takes you deeper Into the ad. 

20 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Yes, that. But better yet why not just get rid of the full screen ads altogether.  I don’t even mind an ad that takes up 80 percent of my screen if I can easily scroll past it without clicking anything.  The problem is that all the FULL SCREEN ads must be clicked out of, and the makers of these ads have a vested interest in the user clicking into rather than out of the ad. Any “less than full screen” ad can be scrolled past without risk of clicking anything that takes you deeper Into the ad. 

Is it only on your phone??? I stay logged in on my iPad and never see ads, but never log in on my phone so I don’t know what that is like. 

You should be thankful! As @HOUSE so wisely points out, how would you know how to piss away all your hard earned cash without these helpful advertisements? 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, thanks!

They appear for me on iPad, iPhone, my Mac and my work PC…but they don’t bother me. All you do is click the ‘X’ or ‘Close’ and I’m back to browsing. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, thanks!

The same thing happens to me. When I attempt to enter the forum (I’m already logged in) in my mobile device, the full screen ad pops up.

This does NOT happen on my laptop, only my mobile device.

**I do not mind the ad. Small price to pay. Takes only a minuscule amount of effort to close the ad. I’m only chiming in to point out that it’s happening to me, too.

49 minutes ago, Augie said:

Is it only on your phone??? I stay logged in on my iPad and never see ads, but never log in on my phone so I don’t know what that is like. 

You should be thankful! As @HOUSE so wisely points out, how would you know how piss away all your hard earned cash without these helpful advertisements? 

When I log in from my phone there's a full page ad in order to get to the forums.  Just on my phone though.  I consider taking two seconds to hit the x button in the upper corner to get to the forums my personal Vietnam.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

This is nuts.  I only access this site via my phone nowadays and I’ve never once seen a pop up. Ever. Not saying your lying, you’re obviously telling the truth, but it’s so strange that one person has intrusive ads everyday while others never see ads. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, thanks!

Same.  I’m always logged on.  Never seen a popup

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Beerball said:

I get one ad when I leave the news page to come here. Intrusion level is 0.012.

I only sometimes get an ad when I get online in the morning.  I never log out ... but once I go to TBD, I get an ad.

Sometimes I click "close," and sometimes I click the X at the top right corner.

Either way, when it's all said and done, it's one ***** click.  One. Click.