TBD with Ads is the greatest!

Jobot

As some others have said I have just recently started seeing them and wasn't sure if I was the only one.  I don't post often but I am constantly checking and reading on the site.  The ads aren't a big deal but I have enjoyed this site for many years and would gladly pay if it was needed to keep it going.  Thank you for what you do @SDS

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I make my own pills out of cod liver oil, smoked oysters, and grated pangolin.  Toss in a little powdered rhino horn or albino ears on birthdays and anniversaries.  No preservatives and it works just as good as the stuff big pharma is peddling.  

Aren’t you missing tiger blood and granulated essence of shark fin soup in that organic mix? Although on further reflection, I guess getting a permit for big cats would be tougher these days than normal thanks to that Netflix show that shall not be named...🧐

50 minutes ago, JimmyNoodles said:

I just started to see ads (an ad to get to the home page) on my Iphone and computer yesterday.  This thread has only been helpful in that I know I'm not the only one seeing them.  As far as the expereince, I come here almost everyday and although I don't post a lot, I'm very grateful to SDS and all who contribute here.  It's the best best place for Bills news and the rest of the NFL to boot.  Not a problem at all.  Thank you for this forum.     

A great avatar name such as yours, faintly reminiscent of say, a low level yet lovable mob boss, needs to be posting more than you do. That is all. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

Just to let you know, I would be down to pay a subscription fee for this service.

FAO @SDS

My college hoops board has an optional category of “Supporting Members” which costs me all of $12.50/year. I can swing that. There is power in numbers. No biggie. I’ve never seen ads as I never come here on my phone, but I can’t imagine it could be too terrible.

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I only see the new ads when I browse from my phone where I am not logged in.

Never seen the new ads when I'm logged in, and using Firefox with ABP.

This is me, I am super confused by the OP. I’ve been getting a lot more ads lately on my phone. Which is obviously annoying, but TBD has been a safe space for me. I don’t think I get any on the forum.

Maybe I do when reading articles? I don’t know, 

3 hours ago, SDS said:

So, Google inserted this type of ad on their own. It is my choice if I want to decline it or not. This was a recent development.

To date, I have not shown any ads to members on the forum.  It’s not to say I won’t in the future, but I haven’t done so in 23 years. 

Guests that read, but don’t contribute see ads. That seems fair to me.

It looks like there might be a click through ad to go from the front page to the forum. It’s new, but is this a day wrecker? I certainly don’t mean to enrage people because they have to press an X once in transition.

it cost thousands of dollars to run this site with enough hardware to keep the place up during the draft and opening day and other times of intense interest. I would like to think as a community we can be reasonable about this.

For those of you with ad blockers, are you willing to pay a subscription for all your content? I’m just a guy with a house and a mortgage and a wife and a kid in college and another one in high school. I certainly think I have been reasonable over the years. There are some websites that are unreadable because of their aggressive tactics. I don’t think we’re one of them.

If you find that interstitial ad to be unfair and oppressive, then let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks. 

I get the click through ad once per day. Not a big deal.

1 hour ago, JimmyNoodles said:

I just started to see ads (an ad to get to the home page) on my Iphone and computer yesterday.  This thread has only been helpful in that I know I'm not the only one seeing them.  As far as the expereince, I come here almost everyday and although I don't post a lot, I'm very grateful to SDS and all who contribute here.  It's the best best place for Bills news and the rest of the NFL to boot.  Not a problem at all.  Thank you for this forum.     

Nerd! But seriously it’s a pretty cool place...

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Jobot said:

Force feed ads that you have to click on is the latest greatest craze!

Maybe if I'm positive about this forum my post won't get taken down? Either way, super great call leaders!

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Does anyone know if getting a bone scan is fun?  The ad made it sound great but I’m not totally sold.

Probably depends on who is scanning your 'bone'...

(I have not been seeing ads but I don't use my phone when on this site and my default page is set to the forums, not the main board)

4 hours ago, SDS said:

Are logged-in members seeing ads on the forum?

Despite being logged in, I show ads to myself so I know what is being shown and where. 

I don't have pop up blockers on my phone- when logged in I don't see ads. My laptop is always logged in and I don't see ads, but I use brave browser and I think it blocks pop ups. I've been a member here for 17 years and I appreciate all your efforts, I'm happy to kick in for maintenance if you ever need. 

5 hours ago, Jobot said:

Force feed ads that you have to click on is the latest greatest craze!

Maybe if I'm positive about this forum my post won't get taken down? Either way, super great call leaders!

I find this self-centered and entitled post offensive as hell. You are entitled to nothing and are benefiting from someone else's investment of labor & money maintaining a website as well as the time and effort invested by mods. The notion of complaining about something you're receiving for free is ridiculous. Life is going to be hard if you run around believing you are owed anything from others, I hope you're able to grow out of this mindset for your own happiness.