TBD with Ads is the greatest!

Jobot

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Why would we take your post down, when it is more fun to leave it up and let everyone make snarky remarks about you?    

There are no need for snarky remarks, either towards him or I guess the op was snarky towards me. This can be discussed as a community in good faith.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, SDS said:

https://www.finheaven.com

I think the owner does a really nice job over there with their graphics and layout. Though I think they probably cater to a different audience then I hope to attract, but that’s all right. But people are free to go over to a really busy football forum and see what that user experience is like and ask yourself if things are so bad over here.

True story—I clicked on the fin link and was immediately bombarded with an ad loudly proclaiming to be the “shoe that Gronk wears” on the Dolphins forum threads page. I can’t unsee that. Where do I sign up for a platinum TBD membership to ensure this never happens here? :doh:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't see any ads....

However, it's remarkable how a terrific resource for fans is somehow also supposed to take the vow of poverty and dedicate people's lives to the service of others for a football team. I LOVE the Bills and I LOVE to follow all things Bills related and I'm passionate about football in general but I don't think any of us should expect or require another person to carry content for us to consume at their own cost, be it due to financial implications or time away from things that actually matter in the grand scheme of life. If they do it out of the abundance of equal passion - wonderful, I'm grateful - if they don't, I'd be disappointed but completely understand. 

No person should have to turn away a revenue stream to help support this forum - considering IT'S FREE - for any reason. If one day it comes to having to pay a monthly fee, I'll decide then if I want to invest my money. Until then, whatever SDS needs to do to help off-set personal costs, so be it....

Regardless, count me among the many who is grateful and appreciates this forum and most of the good natured folks that come with it.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, SDS said:

There are no need for snarky remarks, either towards him or I guess the op was snarky towards me. This can be discussed as a community in good faith.

The OP was 100% snarky towards you, and generated some mild but amusing snark clapback. 

You are generally well liked here and the service you provide is highly valued by many.  Deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I don’t get my ***** pills online. You never know what’s in those things

I make my own pills out of cod liver oil, smoked oysters, and grated pangolin.  Toss in a little powdered rhino horn or albino ears on birthdays and anniversaries.  No preservatives and it works just as good as the stuff big pharma is peddling.  

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SDS said:

So, Google inserted this type of ad on their own. It is my choice if I want to decline it or not. This was a recent development.

To date, I have not shown any ads to members on the forum.  It’s not to say I won’t in the future, but I haven’t done so in 23 years. 

Guests that read, but don’t contribute see ads. That seems fair to me.

It looks like there might be a click through ad to go from the front page to the forum. It’s new, but is this a day wrecker? I certainly don’t mean to enrage people because they have to press an X once in transition.

it cost thousands of dollars to run this site with enough hardware to keep the place up during the draft and opening day and other times of intense interest. I would like to think as a community we can be reasonable about this.

For those of you with ad blockers, are you willing to pay a subscription for all your content? I’m just a guy with a house and a mortgage and a wife and a kid in college and another one in high school. I certainly think I have been reasonable over the years. There are some websites that are unreadable because of their aggressive tactics. I don’t think we’re one of them.

If you find that interstitial ad to be unfair and oppressive, then let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks. 

What if my wife sees the adds and buys a $200,000 Mercedes......then I will be screwed

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

Man, I hope you never stumble across the forums of our AFCE opponents.  Do you like ads every 4 posts that cause the page to stutter when you scroll?

Don't recall ever seeing an ad here, at least in this part of the forums and I am immensely appreciative of that.

I think the JetsNation one has a somewhat similar set up as here where you get less ads if you're signed in.

i am getting ads

using google chrome.....open to home page

click on the blue field that says "the stadium wall community"

a pop up ad displays before that page opens  ( ad varies )....i just close it out

then i am able to sign in. no more ads.

do NOT get ads using internet explorer and doing the exact same sequence

I just started to see ads (an ad to get to the home page) on my Iphone and computer yesterday.  This thread has only been helpful in that I know I'm not the only one seeing them.  As far as the expereince, I come here almost everyday and although I don't post a lot, I'm very grateful to SDS and all who contribute here.  It's the best best place for Bills news and the rest of the NFL to boot.  Not a problem at all.  Thank you for this forum.     

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1