Bills fact people might not now

On 4/6/2021 at 6:18 PM, Mcdermott said:

This is true but when Flutie signed with New Jersey he stated the Bills never contacted him.

This is also true. However, my original response was to Jokeman's post that said, "Thank God Polian intervened and said we should take Bruce instead" - at which point I responded that decision was made easy for Polian because Flutie signed with the USFL in February.

Your statement is true. But it still wasn't Polian who made the decision to pick Bruce and not Flutie. Flutie agreed to sign with the USFL in late January, and actually signed his contract on February 6th. Bills GM Terry Bledsoe had a heart attack right around that same day, prompting Ralph to ultimately let Polian take over as GM.

Polian did do a good job signing Bruce as Bruce had also been drafted by Baltimore of the USFL, and was receiving a large offer. But the decision to take Bruce and not Flutie wasn't really made by Polian. I have doubts whether Polian would have chosen Flutie over Bruce anyway, but that decision was basically made for him.

9 hours ago, Tuco said:

This is also true. However, my original response was to Jokeman's post that said, "Thank God Polian intervened and said we should take Bruce instead" - at which point I responded that decision was made easy for Polian because Flutie signed with the USFL in February.

Your statement is true. But it still wasn't Polian who made the decision to pick Bruce and not Flutie. Flutie agreed to sign with the USFL in late January, and actually signed his contract on February 6th. Bills GM Terry Bledsoe had a heart attack right around that same day, prompting Ralph to ultimately let Polian take over as GM.

Polian did do a good job signing Bruce as Bruce had also been drafted by Baltimore of the USFL, and was receiving a large offer. But the decision to take Bruce and not Flutie wasn't really made by Polian. I have doubts whether Polian would have chosen Flutie over Bruce anyway, but that decision was basically made for him.

Flutie wouldn’t have been picked till the 5th round or lower even if he hadn’t signed with the USFL. The only decision for Polian was Bruce or Childress.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/6/2021 at 2:38 PM, IronMaidenBills said:

The Bills never won a Super Bowl. Yep believe it or not it’s true. 

Um...haven't you ever seen the movie Second String?

Though not as noticeable with the current charging buffalo as it was with the standing buffalo, the bills logo is the only one in pro sports which shows genitalia (sorry if this has been mentioned, didn't look through all 5 pages.)

Edited by Steve O

I used to have a fun one I’d throw around occasionally but now I forget which qb it is. 

Basically, when Jason Peters came to the Bills he was a tight end. The qb in question threw his first ever nfl touchdown to him. I want to say Losman? 

Man, i know some people are still bummed about Peters leaving, but getting a first round pick for a converted TE is not bad. 

I know, I know he was an all-world tackle but dude held us hostage and wanted out. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

On top of Ralph Wilson loaning money to the Raiders, he is rumored to have financially propped up the Boston patriots as well...,   

On 4/6/2021 at 7:02 AM, BringBackFergy said:

Little known fact: Bills WR TJ Graham has never been in my kitchen. 

Who are people who have never been in my kitchen!!

Wrong answer....but, they have never been in my kitchen!!

On 4/7/2021 at 3:51 PM, Mcdermott said:

Gary McDermott wore 32 OJ’s rookie year.

IIRC McDermott played for the Bills in 1968 and wore 32 then and in preseason in 69, OJ’s rookie year. Hence the SI cover. But was released at the end of preseason and OJ had 32 by his first game. McDermott then played for another team in 69. 

On 4/7/2021 at 7:10 PM, Shaw66 said:

Raloh wanted Miami but league wanted Buffalo.  It was the only franchise left, so he took it.  

This is false. Miami wouldn't lease ralph the Orange Bowl, so he sent a telegram to Hunt that said "I'm in with Buffalo"

The O.J Simpson trade to the 49ers (in 1978) got the Bills the pick that they used (in 1983) to select Jim Kelly.  It's a long story, and here it is:

n 1978, the Buffalo Bills trade  O.J. Simpson to the San Francisco 49ers.  the 49ers traded their second- and third-round picks in 1978, first and fourth-round picks in 1979, and a 1980 second-round to acquire Simpson. That 1979 first rounder would become the number one overall pick, though at the time of the trade in 1978 no one could know that.

Buffalo used those draft picks to acquire DE Scott Hutchinson and WR Danny Fulton in 1978, DE Tom Cousineau and DE Ken Johnson in 1979, and RB Joe Cribbs in 1980. The first overall pick in 1979, Cousineau would never play for the Bills, however, instead opting to go to the CFL. The Montreal Alouettes offered him twice as much money as the Bills and he headed north. When he returned to the NFL, the Bills were able to obtain the 14th overall pick in the 1983 NFL draft plus a pair of pick in 1984 from the Cleveland Browns instead of signing Cousineau to a massive deal.

That 14th overall pick would become Jim Kelly, who also refused to play for the Bills and opted to head to the USFL. So it eventually worked out, but it took seven years.