This Just in - Good Analysis of Moss & Singletary in 2020

13 hours ago, njbuff said:

Antonio Williams is a major wild card here.

He flashed just like Willie Parker in the season finale last year much in the same manner as Parker did in the 2004 season finale.

Willie Parker wound up being a starting RB on a SB champion in Pittsburgh, so who knows with Williams.

We should get a big answer with Antonio Williams in TC.

Wasn't Parker an undrafted free agent from North Carolina too? 

5 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Singletary was still the better of the 2 last year. 

Yes, at running. At blocking on a pass happy team? Not so much. He also had 3 penalties while blocking which was the worst in the league. He was way more explosive with the ball in his hands though. Moss started to improve with a change in the blocking scheme. Very good video here. Moss was the best pass blocking RB in the league. He was a major contributor in Josh's big passing numbers last year.

Thanks for posting this.   I learned a lot.  

These guys seem to think that the outside zone scheme is better suited to the passing game - checks at the line of scrimmage are easier, and the coordination of the line requires less practice time.   Moss is, apparently, the better runner in that scheme, although Singletary could learn to be better.  Moss is the better pass blocker, and Moss actually could be argued to be the better receiver.  These guys point out what I noticed last year, which was that Allen and Singletary had trouble connecting - Allen sometimes was high, Motor wasn't ready, and Motor sometimes just dropped it.  

All of that points to the Bills leaning more on the outside zone scheme, Moss getting more touches, and perhaps Breida threatening to take snaps from Singletary.   But, of course, McD likes to be multiple, and I think he'll be unwilling to give up the pulling-trapping style that Morse and others are suited to.   We'll see. 

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Breida will make plays in this offense. Kid runs angry. I'm excited to see what he and 35 can bring to the table. 

Breida was at his best in outside zone in SF.   Late last season I thought both Singletary and Moss were approaching the LOS tentatively........anticipating the unblocked defender.......because of a lot of missed blocks over the course of the second half of the season.  

When Antonio Williams was plugged in during the Miami game he ran the play like it was drawn up and and got the results that you hope for.

I don't really love OZ......as we saw last season you need to be pretty athletic on the OL to consistently block it up.    The old Alex Gibbs OL's in Denver and Houston were pretty undersized and athletic.   When pass blocking nowadays I really prefer the big bodies.    But if your OL can block up OZ you can get great production from backs that don't really have "all" of the tools.........it's been proven many times over........if they have power or speed and are decisive they can produce.

On 4/6/2021 at 1:30 AM, njbuff said:

Antonio Williams is a major wild card here.

He flashed just like Willie Parker in the season finale last year much in the same manner as Parker did in the 2004 season finale.

Willie Parker wound up being a starting RB on a SB champion in Pittsburgh, so who knows with Williams.

We should get a big answer with Antonio Williams in TC.

Ah, you're forgetting about our secret weapon: Christian Wade! This is the year!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/6/2021 at 3:23 PM, Rockinon said:

Yes, at running. At blocking on a pass happy team? Not so much. He also had 3 penalties while blocking which was the worst in the league. He was way more explosive with the ball in his hands though. Moss started to improve with a change in the blocking scheme. Very good video here. Moss was the best pass blocking RB in the league. He was a major contributor in Josh's big passing numbers last year.

He was the better running back.

You draft running backs to be running backs. He was the better running back.

Watched it the other day, it kind of said to me that the run game was not particularly done well from coaching / schemes, to player execution, it was as if it was an afterthought in the offensive play book. 

But you can bet your azsez that is going to change, we won’t become a 50/50 offense, but you can know that when a run play is called it will now be as equally well executed as a pass play, or heads gonna roll so to speak, we are going to see a team that isn’t going to so much run more, but run more effectively, and hell, isn’t that what we all want..,

• Agree 1