Jets' draft ammo is crazy right now

15 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

All the draft ammo and they probably take another #3/4 receiver with hamstring problems. 

The Jets are last in the division for a reason. Miami and NE are both tougher challenges now and in the foreseeable future. 

Things can turn on a dime with the right management. They were 1-15 in 1996 under Kotite, and then Parcells came in and changed the culture. They had only 3 losing seasons over the next 15 years, 7 playoff appearances, and 3 championship game appearances.

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Hmm... alright, so they have the #2 overall pick which they're going to use on a QB.

They have nobody around him right now and an extra 1st, 3rd and 5th this year.

Lets rewind to 2018.

The Jets had the 2018 6th overall pick, two second round picks, and another 2019 second round pick.

They traded all of that to the Colts to get up to pick #3 to get Sam Darnold. They didn't have anyone else around him.

The rest of their draft picks that year were Nathan Shepherd, Chris Herndon, Parry Nickerson, Folorunso Fatukasi. and Trenton Cannon.

I will be shocked if any of those players are starters in 3 years.

All that Draft Capital and nothing to show for it. The Jets are a completely inept franchise and unless they have a McDermott/Beane type combo in their front office, they will continue to squander any opportunity they might have to actually develop talent. 

They may have that now. I like their coach a lot, and Joe Douglas knows what he's doing.

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Things can turn on a dime with the right management. They were 1-15 in 1996 under Kotite, and then Parcells came in and changed the culture. They had only 3 losing seasons over the next 15 years, 7 playoff appearances, and 3 championship game appearances.

They may have that now. I like their coach a lot, and Joe Douglas knows what he's doing.

Ah, yes, the Robert Saleh is likely to be the next Parcells who had a history of turning around teams. Those guys are a dim a dozen in the league. Sound reasoning. 

34 minutes ago, klos63 said:

They were much more competitive against KC than we were.

Not invalid, I just disagree with it.  Bills are the best and damn anyone that says any other team is good too.  Is that better?

We certainly disagree. And that’s ok. 

Good day, sir.

Go Bills 

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Ah, yes, the Robert Saleh is likely to be the next Parcells who had a history of turning around teams. Those guys are a dim a dozen in the league. Sound reasoning. 

I am not sure of the substantive point you are trying to make (other than snark). The Bills hired a SB-caliber DC and have gone to the playoffs in 3 of the past 4 seasons after going 17 straight years of not making the playoffs.  

Also, Joe Douglas worked in the Ravens personnel department for 16 years and was the VP of player personnel with the Eagles when they built a juggernaut beginning in 2016. The Eagles had the best roster in the league in 2017.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

So a team that was 1-15 in 1996, he took in 1997 9-7, 12-4 in 1998, made it to the championship game, and then 8-8.  His problem after the Giants is he would get bored and moved from team to team.  He also previously took the Pats to the SB with Bledsoe.

We’ll see what Salah does as he was a good DC.  Sometimes these guys make the leap like McD, and sometimes not.  I think he will in time turn that team around.  Douglas needs to hit on that drat capital.  As it stands he has 21 picks over the next two years.  Miami had the same between last year and this year.  Miami spent a ton of $ last year and had 11 picks. They went from 5-11 to 10-6.  If they would e let Fitzy continue, they probably would’ve won another game and make the playoffs.  They now have 10 picks.

The AFCE will become more competitive over the next couple of years and I welcome it.

But what QB threat did they have on the team at that time? Also 9-7 and 8-8 are not very good Stats. He had 1 good year going 12-4 and then nothing came of it. The Jets are going to be in a full rebuild mode for quite sometime. We don’t even know if Salah is HC material, he could wind up as another great coordinator that doesn’t work as a HC. Time will tell, I’d say Miami is more of a threat because if and I mean IF Tua can turn it around year 2 then they will be in really good hands with all those draft picks plus all the cap money they’ll be able to use in FA next year. 

Just now, BuffaloBills1998 said:

But what QB threat did they have on the team at that time? Also 9-7 and 8-8 are not very good Stats. He had 1 good year going 12-4 and then nothing came of it. The Jets are going to be in a full rebuild mode for quite sometime. We don’t even know if Salah is HC material, he could wind up as another great coordinator that doesn’t work as a HC. Time will tell, I’d say Miami is more of a threat because if and I mean IF Tua can turn it around year 2 then they will be in really good hands with all those draft picks plus all the cap money they’ll be able to use in FA next year. 

98, I don’t disagree with you Miami is the bigger threat.  I’ve written it several times in other threads.  1-15 to 9-7 is pedestrian?  I’d say not, then builds on it to 12-4 the next year.  It took us which I’m proud and grateful to mcbeane for doing it in four years.  There is a reason why Parcells has a gold jacket.  He won two SB’s in the Giants, went to another in the Pats, went to the championship game in the jets two years after 1-15.

he didn’t take the fins very far as GM, and Jerrah kept getting in his way with the Cowgirls.  He is a well deserved HOF coach.

we’ll agree to disagree on this one.  As far as Miami, they have another 10 picks before all that maneuvering.  They also have a little bit of $.  We’ll see how good Flores is this year.  I think they will give us a little more competition this year.

36 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Hmm... alright, so they have the #2 overall pick which they're going to use on a QB.

They have nobody around him right now and an extra 1st, 3rd and 5th this year.

Lets rewind to 2018.

The Jets had the 2018 6th overall pick, two second round picks, and another 2019 second round pick.

They traded all of that to the Colts to get up to pick #3 to get Sam Darnold. They didn't have anyone else around him.

The rest of their draft picks that year were Nathan Shepherd, Chris Herndon, Parry Nickerson, Folorunso Fatukasi. and Trenton Cannon.

I will be shocked if any of those players are starters in 3 years.

All that Draft Capital and nothing to show for it. The Jets are a completely inept franchise and unless they have a McDermott/Beane type combo in their front office, they will continue to squander any opportunity they might have to actually develop talent. 

Newsflash!  The Jets' front office that squandered all that draft capital on Sam Darnold is, like Darnold himself, gone.  There is no reason to believe that Douglas will do as poorly as their last GM.  Nor is there any reason to believe Wilson will be as disappointing as Darnold.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I keep seeing this, but does he? I realize Gase was the coach last year but they went from 7-9 to 2-14 with Douglas having a full year on the job.

His 2020 draft picks besides the LT are pretty bad

Mims had 23 catches in 8 games last year. So 3 catches and 40 yards a game?

Ashtyn Davis (S) had one pass defensed in 6 games last year

Jabari Zuniga (DE) 5 tackles in 8 games

Lamaical Perine (RB) 232 yards rushing last year and couldnt beat out a 39 year old Frank Gore

James Morgan (QB) Didnt play

Cameron Clark (OL) Didnt play

Byrce Hall (CB) 31 tackles and INT

Brandon Mann (P) Probably their best pick, decent punter 43 yd avg

Thats basically a wash of a draft class. Blame Gase all you want, but they had a serious talent gap with the rest of the NFL and thats on the GM

36 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I keep seeing this, but does he? I realize Gase was the coach last year but they went from 7-9 to 2-14 with Douglas having a full year on the job.

His 2020 draft picks besides the LT are pretty bad

Mims had 23 catches in 8 games last year. So 3 catches and 40 yards a game?

Ashtyn Davis (S) had one pass defensed in 6 games last year

Jabari Zuniga (DE) 5 tackles in 8 games

Lamaical Perine (RB) 232 yards rushing last year and couldnt beat out a 39 year old Frank Gore

James Morgan (QB) Didnt play

Cameron Clark (OL) Didnt play

Byrce Hall (CB) 31 tackles and INT

Brandon Mann (P) Probably their best pick, decent punter 43 yd avg

Thats basically a wash of a draft class. Blame Gase all you want, but they had a serious talent gap with the rest of the NFL and thats on the GM

Come on, man.  That's ridiculous.  Becton is an absolute beast.  He's going to be their LT for the next ten years.  That alone makes it a pretty good draft.

8 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Huh?

Come on, don't you remember when Rex Ryan said the Bills D will now be "fully pregnant" once he had a chance to do his magic?

The history of NYJ GMs/HCs are fun to laugh about.  At least for now!

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, mannc said:

Come on, man.  That's ridiculous.  Becton is an absolute beast.  He's going to be their LT for the next ten years.  That alone makes it a pretty good draft.

They need to handle him better than this then 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/03/new-york-jets-look-bad-mekhi-becton-injury-denver-broncos-week-4/amp/

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Another reason Gase is gone...

Gase is an idiot. But Douglas, unless he had no say in personnel decisions like this, is part of the regime with that and the previous medical debacle with osemele. I don’t know how he will do with these draft picks but the reality is in some circles he gets all the credit for anything good that occurred since he got there and none of the blame for the bad. It’s probably somewhere in the middle so I’ll hold off on the blind trust.