Darnold to the Panthers

Darnold is 100% gonna turn his career around now that he has good coaching and a supporting cast.

We will have seen both the Dolphins AND Jets trade away good quarterbacks that were ruined/wasted by Adam Gase, only to see said quarterbacks become quality starters elsewhere.

Ya hate to see it, but then again.....ya love to see it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

This is a very interesting trade to me.  

First, the value the Jets got for him shows me the market wasn’t there.  Not getting a 2nd until next year is rough.  I’m personally surprised Darnold is being written off by so many, but I get it. 

Second, while the Panthers gave up draft capitol, I wonder if they are out of the QB race in this years draft.  

I agree that they didn't get a huge return for Darnold. That said, why would they in a draft with just so many QBs and the #2 pick? 

Are the Panthers out of the QB race? I would say 99% chance yes, in terms of the apparent top 5. Would they take Mond from Texas A&M if he is there in the 2nd round? Maybe. I think that it would be a smart move (and btw an OK move by the Bills imho).

I am probably going against the grain, but I think that the Panthers got the best of this deal by far.

As always, jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

It should be better for Darnold as well.   Getting away from the New York Media will help.

Getting away from that dumpster fire previous coaching staff with zero WRs, RBs or Oline alone will help tremendously. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

Darnold is 100% gonna turn his career around now that he has good coaching and a supporting cast.

We will have seen both the Dolphins AND Jets trade away good quarterbacks that were ruined/wasted by Adam Gase, only to see said quarterbacks become quality starters elsewhere.

Ya hate to see it, but then again.....ya love to see it.

Just glad it’s gonna happen in the NFC

7 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

I wonder if McDermott put this trade together,  knowing that he can only have expanthers and wanted Darnold as the backup in a couple of years. 

4D chess.

Josh and Sam are buddies 🤔

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

This is bad news for Buffalo because that kid from BYU is gonna be something serious. IMO of course..

Yeah, ol what's his name!

Picking a one full season college starter who no one heard of a year ago at #2...what could go wrong??  (asking for a Bears fan)

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

We will see .. and yes the Jets absolutely ruined Darnold , and many talented quarterbacks have been ruined... David Carr was twice the quarterback of his brother... And Derek's on a 10 year good career... David just got ruined by a expansion franchise

If he(Darnold) came to the bills he would be a really good quarterback. Maybe not at the tier Allen's at now, but that's because Allen had a higher ceiling

But Donald absolutely got ruined in New York 

And by all accounts the bills did have darnold number one and Josh Allen number 2 on their board

The fate of many players careers rest on where they go on draft night. Every single player from the first pick to last undrafted free agent is extremely talented 

It's always circumstances

I agree with some of this, but to say it’s always circumstances takes it a bit too far imo. Success in any field requires the right circumstances, but it still has a lot to do with the person. If it’s always about circumstances, that’s saying there’s no such thing as a QB bust. The circumstances a guy has in college also plays a huge role. Being on the right college team can put a QB in a higher draft position, compared to a QB who plays on a lower tier team with little talent. Allen at Wyoming vs Darnold at USC is a perfect example of this.

The jury is still out on Darnold’s career, I just don’t think anyone can be certain he would have been successful elsewhere. What does Darnold possess that made him a sure bet to be a good NFL QB ? I don’t think there is a such thing. When circumstances are blamed as the sole culprit of failure, that’s assuming Darnold must be good, but I don’t think proof of Darnold as a good NFL QB exists. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Potential: Took his team to the NFC Championship last time he played a whole season.

Contract: $25M/year isnt that bad for a starting/franchise QB. Plus can be renegotiated to a new, long term deal to bring that down a little.

I'm not a huge Jimmy G fan, but I dont get why folks completely write him off around here.

I honestly think he would fit well with the Pats. I think of Jimmy G as a high end game manager. He isn't a dynamic QB like Josh, Mahomes, Watson or Rodgers but he rarely makes mistakes/turnovers and can execute a scheme and has a knack for making clutch plays now and again. He is like a very very poor mans Brady in that sense. I think he fits well on a team with a very strong defense and some decent offensive pieces. 

I hope the Pats don't get him because he would be enough of an upgrade at QB to make those two games a lot tougher.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, ol what's his name!

Picking a one full season college starter who no one heard of a year ago at #2...what could go wrong??  (asking for a Bears fan)

Totally agree. Every draft has one of these guys, and it never turns out well. Wilson owes everything to Trevor Lawrence. Lawrence was the unanimous number one for so long that people got bored with the idea. NFL scouts might be the experts, but they’re people who are prone to emotion as well. I think some became tired of the Lawrence talk, and wanted to think outside of the box. They’re doing this by finding their savior in Wilson. Lawrence had no way to elevate his game film beyond what was seen early in his career. This developed into  the boredom that became Wilson mania imo. 

4 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Totally agree. Every draft has one of these guys, and it never turns out well. Wilson owes everything to Trevor Lawrence. Lawrence was the unanimous number one for so long that people got bored with the idea. NFL scouts might be the experts, but they’re people who are prone to emotion as well. I think some became tired of the Lawrence talk, and wanted to think outside of the box. They’re doing this by finding their savior in Wilson. Lawrence had no way to elevate his game film beyond what was seen early in his career. This developed into  the boredom that became Wilson mania imo. 

The kid could be the real deal.  who knows?  But the Jets is the worst place for him.  Those fans won't wait long....

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree with some of this, but to say it’s always circumstances takes it a bit too far imo. Success in any field requires the right circumstances, but it still has a lot to do with the person. If it’s always about circumstances, that’s saying there’s no such thing as a QB bust. The circumstances a guy has in college also plays a huge role. Being on the right college team can put a QB in a higher draft position, compared to a QB who plays on a lower tier team with little talent. Allen at Wyoming vs Darnold at USC is a perfect example of this.

The jury is still out on Darnold’s career, I just don’t think anyone can be certain he would have been successful elsewhere. What does Darnold possess that made him a sure bet to be a good NFL QB ? I don’t think there is a such thing. When circumstances are blamed as the sole culprit of failure, that’s assuming Darnold must be good, but I don’t think proof of Darnold as a good NFL QB exists. 

I understand that, I was just trying to make a point that players careers absolutely have a trajectory change based on where they land and the scheme fit, and coaching etc 

What sets a lot of pros apart is their work ethic

• Agree 1