Darnold to the Panthers

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Physically he's got it. He's a great playmaker from the quarterback position

But the Jets are a dumpster fire and they will ruin just about anybody. I would even be scared for Trevor Lawrence going there 

Wilson would have been perfect in Carolina, San Francisco, New Orleans... Jets ... Eh , good luck 

He plays like he's Josh Allen, or rodgers , but it doesn't have the body for that to hold up in the NFL.. even Rogers has 25- 30 lb on him 

He's going to have to adapt his game for the NFL

Fair enough.  I just don't buy the notion that a QB like Darnold or Wilson can be "ruined" by the team that drafts them.  And I also think the Jets are turning the corner and will no longer be a laughing stock, starting with this year... 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Yeah.  I was fully expecting the Jets to trade Sam Darnold and take a QB at 32, so that wasn't surprising.

What surprises me, is that Carolina was sitting at #8 and decided to make this move before seeing which QBs were available at their pick.

Everyone knows Trevor Lawrence is going #1.  The odds are heavily in favor of Zach Wilson at #2.

After that, we know San Francisco is taking a QB.  But nobody has a clue which one.  I've seen solid arguments for all three (Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Mac Jones), and any hints from the 49ers could easily be them blowing a smokescreen.

To me, the smart money for Carolina was to wait until draft night and see who drops to #8.  So by making the quick move for Darnold, that tells me that either:

A)  The Panthers were not comfortable with drafting any of the QBs outside of Lawrence and Wilson.

B)  They are pretty confident none of the QBs will drop to them at #8, and the price was too high to move up.

Probably B.

Prices was too steep to move up and at 8 they can get a WR, Pitts, Surtain, or one of the two top tackles.  Even better if one of the QB's does fall they can trade back to 15 if New England wants to jump ahead of Denver for a QB.   Maybe they trick Denver into giving up a third round pick to move from 9 to 8 just to ensure they get a QB.  

4 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Exactly lol it was Benjamin, Zay Jones, and Clay + a geriatric Lesean McCoy and a below average Line protecting him, but anyone worth his salt knew Allen was the future especially after the last few games on the schedule. 

Hell, the staff didn't know he was going to start before the first half of the first game. With no off-season and being super raw, he still put up a respectable seasons and showed huge flashes.

Cowherd is a clown.

The 2018 Allen season was such a poor offense.  They had traded a considerable amount of talented players for the picks needed to acquire Allen, and their big free agent acquisitions were Murphy and Star.  Offensive line had many starts by the likes of ducasse, miller, bodine, and mills. 

Offense scored fewer than 14 points 8 times.  Petermans baltimore/chicago games and 2 derek anderson starts were 4 of those 8.  I think people that complained about his accuracy/inconsistency needed to watch other QBs perform with that terrible offense.  After the Bears game, they started giving snaps to some different players like mckenzie and foster and eventually just dumped benjamin/holmes entirely and you saw a bit more of what allen was capable of.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

Fair enough.  I just don't buy the notion that a QB like Darnold or Wilson can be "ruined" by the team that drafts them.  And I also think the Jets are turning the corner and will no longer be a laughing stock, starting with this year... 

We will see .. and yes the Jets absolutely ruined Darnold , and many talented quarterbacks have been ruined... David Carr was twice the quarterback of his brother... And Derek's on a 10 year good career... David just got ruined by a expansion franchise

If he(Darnold) came to the bills he would be a really good quarterback. Maybe not at the tier Allen's at now, but that's because Allen had a higher ceiling

But Donald absolutely got ruined in New York 

And by all accounts the bills did have darnold number one and Josh Allen number 2 on their board

The fate of many players careers rest on where they go on draft night. Every single player from the first pick to last undrafted free agent is extremely talented 

It's always circumstances

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

They haven't played a game and already they are turning the corner?

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Well the vast majority of this board wanted Sam Darnold/Josh Rosen on that famous draft night after everyone knew Baker was CLE bound.

Thank your lucky stars for Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott.

This is painfully true. Then you had the 10% who wanted Jackson.

I actually initially liked Allen at first. He just looked like what a prototype QB should look like, but then I got brainwashed by everyone else and changed my opinion. Now I always go with my gut.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Prove it.

He’s got zero elite traits.

It's not up to me to prove it. Easy to play Monday morning analyst knowing what we see now. Most had him ranked over Josh and some even over Baker. His draft profile was considered "Starter ready with Pro Bowl potential. Do you really think Josh would be the stud he is if drafted by the Jests with that coaching and front office?

The Jets made a mistake trading him away. Yea he stinks, but he is still more talented than the kid from BYU. this trade doesn’t look bad if they draft fields. 

I hope they draft the BYU guy though, so we can count in 2 more BYE weeks. 

Edited by GETTOTHE50

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

I dunno - its tough to go from 2-14 to good in a year.  Their offensive line is still poor, they have no running backs, and their WR core is pretty similar to a year ago.  One QB isn't going to flip them from worst offense in the league to... reasonably poor.  Davis will help, i thought mims looked alright at times, crowder and cole are fine.  The biggest help to a young QB is top tier weapons, or a run game.  They have neither.

Oh, and their defense was bad last year and they're pretty much running it back with carl lawson and rankins.  

I don't look at other teams message boards very much, but I'm curious what they think of the departure of Darnold.  We all know, at least in my opinion, it's the Jet's MGMT being the Jet's MGMT.  Curious if the majority blame him, or the MGMT.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Potential: Took his team to the NFC Championship last time he played a whole season.

Contract: $25M/year isnt that bad for a starting/franchise QB. Plus can be renegotiated to a new, long term deal to bring that down a little.

I'm not a huge Jimmy G fan, but I dont get why folks completely write him off around here.

Why is San Fran hell bent on getting rid of him then?

What they gave up to get to #3 is all you need to know.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

We will see .. and yes the Jets absolutely ruined Darnold , and many talented quarterbacks have been ruined... David Carr was twice the quarterback of his brother... And Derek's on a 10 year good career... David just got ruined by a expansion franchise

If he(Darnold) came to the bills he would be a really good quarterback. Maybe not at the tier Allen's at now, but that's because Allen had a higher ceiling

But Donald absolutely got ruined in New York 

And by all accounts the bills did have darnold number one and Josh Allen number 2 on their board

The fate of many players careers rest on where they go on draft night. Every single player from the first pick to last undrafted free agent is extremely talented 

It's always circumstances

Couldn't agree more.  Darnold was absolutely screwed with the Jets organization.  Gase was a complete and utter embarrassment.  The GM & ownership did nothing to help him. Is Darnold a top 12 qb. No....but he's hardly the train wreck some like to convince themselves. It wouldn't shock me to see Sam as a backup in Buffalo someday. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, jamiezzz said:

I don't look at other teams message boards very much, but I'm curious what they think of the departure of Darnold.  We all know, at least in my opinion, it's the Jet's MGMT being the Jet's MGMT.  Curious if the majority blame him, or the MGMT.

I'd have done it.  You aren't extending him (or picking up the 5th year option) so the value (while damaged) is as high as it gets.  

I wouldn't say its entirely his fault.  High expectations were put on him in 2019 after their spending spree and he got mono.  The team construction was flawed, and Gase is not a good coach.

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Couldn't agree more.  Darnold was absolutely screwed with the Jets organization.  Gase was a complete and utter embarrassment.  The GM & ownership did nothing to help him. Is Darnold a top 12 qb. No....but he's hardly the train wreck some like to convince themselves. It wouldn't shock me to see Sam as a backup in Buffalo someday. 

He's gotta start for the bears first 😉