Darnold to the Panthers

14 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Once the 49ers traded up to 3 the options as far as drafting a QB were pretty dry. Taking a two year experiment on Darnold was a serviceable plan B. They can use pick 8 to fill another need. Overall it isn't a tragic option in my opinion. Not ideal for sure but not the worst pivot either. 

Yeah, it’s a pretty low-cost gamble on a young QB whom a lot of people think might have some potential.  I don’t think Darnold will pan out for them, but it’s certainly not impossible.

To me, this shows that Carolina isn’t high on the QBs who are likely to be left after Lawrence, Wilson, and (probably) Jones are gone.

22 minutes ago, mannc said:

Yeah, it’s a pretty low-cost gamble on a young QB whom a lot of people think might have some potential.  I don’t think Darnold will pan out for them, but it’s certainly not impossible.

To me, this shows that Carolina isn’t high on the QBs who are likely to be left after Lawrence, Wilson, and (probably) Jones are gone.

I think Darnold could pan out for them, Robby Anderson, DJ Moore and CMC are a good complement of weapons, their offensive line is not bad either (ranked mostly around mid-level) use pick 8 to find another weapon if an elite WR falls or add an OT to get the O-line in better shape and I think they will be giving Darnold a fair shot to have success. It is better than picking the 4th best QB. Lawrence, Wilson and Fields are the top QB's and I think they will be gone. I would rather give up a future 2nd and 4th for a two year commitment on Darnold than trade additional capital and pick 8 to get Mac Jones or Trey Lance.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Do the Jets have a vet backup QB on the team? That seems somewhat important with a rookie. Matt barkley is available, just saying 

No, both their other QBs have never thrown a pass in the NFL.

If I was the Jets management I would beg Alex Smith to come to camp and then hold a clipboard for the 1st few games for some

decent guaranteed money. 

I would go with Barkley or Hoyer at a minimum for a mentor.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll bet the FO of the Jets simply couldn't stand to look at Darnold any longer...then, they think of the guy they missed on. 

Because every time they looked at Darnold it reminded them that they traded up to the #3 pick to have their choice of QB's after Mayfield and they screwed it up.

They traded with the Colts for the #3 and gave up their #6 first round and THREE second round picks. The #37th overall, #49th and a 2019 second round pick.  

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

We have an over abundance of ‘Kiddy Table’ residents here.

Darnold is crappy. He hit his ceiling as a QB at USC. It’s been all downhill since.

Saleh said he has "unreal arm talent".  I dunno about Darnold's ceiling.  It seems a valid point that he hasn't had several things that help a young QB develop, including consistency in offensive coordinator and scheme.  I also think it's a point that Darnold may have felt a bit like he "arrived", drafted #3 overall into NYC vs. Josh Allen who had the "joke of a 1st round pick" and "replacement level QB" stuff driving him like a whip. 

Wentz traded despite being the 2016 #2 pick and having his team win the SB and go to the playoffs 3x while he was there, Goff traded despite having a SB appearance and 2 playoff appearances/winning record every year he started, 49ers trading up to #3 (and I don't think it's to draft a CB) despite having Garappolo who took them to a SB under contract.  Meanwhile, Trubisky, the #2 pick in 2017, just signed with the Bills as their backup QB.

The tea leaves seem pretty clear now that "Not For Long" has now extended to top-pick QBs if their team loses confidence they can get the job done.

So we'll see after this offseason if Darnold took any of these lessons to heart and decides to put his all into turning it around.

12 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

There was no intent to play Josh year 1. Everyone and their brother knew he’d have to acclimate to the pro game. Derek Anderson was the designated starter but was injured. Nate Pickpeterson pretended he belonged until we couldn’t take it anymore. A solid OL from ‘17 crashed & burned with Eric Wood retiring unexpectedly and Incognito running off with his fathers’ head. Allen started by default.

If there wasn't intent to play Josh year 1, then WTF were the Bills playing at to go into the 2018 season with Nate Peterman starting at QB, and even pre-season with a choice between career backup AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman?  Derek Anderson wasn't the "designated starter" going into the season, he wasn't even signed until October 7, 2018.

As for the OL, Brandon Beane publicly admitted that he was limited by cap but could have done more, and should have done more to improve it.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I think this is a great chance for Darnold to rebound his career.  Doesnt mean he will, but the truth is for all his struggles, the Jets also did nothing correct with him...bad coaching, even publicly admitted by Gase himself, poor weapons and even worse OL, and just overall poorly run organization from all facets.  

Now he goes to a better staff and a very good stable of weapons.  OL still needs work, but this is IMO a good move by the Panthers on a young kid with upside and a good fit for Darnold in both personnel and scheme.  And Jets got a decent haul for him without having any leverage.  They now got the draft assets to really rebuild...doesn't mean they will spend wisely, but at least they got good ammo next 2 years

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

he may turn out to be a mad genius.. because he's been right in the past.. but he's been gambling on traits and that absolutely will backfire.. he had paxton lynch ahead of Goff... Lynch wasn't good enough to play 3 years in the league

Pretty sure you’re thinking of Phil Simms here, not Chris.  To my knowledge, Chris didn’t do a pre-draft QB ranking in 2016.

21 minutes ago, mannc said:

Pretty sure you’re thinking of Phil Simms here, not Chris.  To my knowledge, Chris didn’t do a pre-draft QB ranking in 2016.

Possibly I'm not sure , I know Chris was still evaluating quarterbacks in 2016 

I'm pretty sure he also called Carson Wentz the best prospect since Andrew luck 

Point is yeah he has an eye for quarterbacks, but he might have some hot takes

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, nucci said:

Allen didn't fall to the Bills. We traded up to get him

He "fell" to the Bills in the sense that the 5 teams with picks 1-6 didn't choose to draft him, including 2 teams who drafted QBs.

The point is that it's possible if the Browns took Darnold, the Jets might have preferred Allen to Mayfield - we don't know how they had the QB's ranked on their board.

I personally think they would have bypassed Allen for Rosen, but who knows?

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Possibly I'm not sure , I know Chris was still evaluating quarterbacks in 2016 

I'm pretty sure he also called Carson Wentz the best prospect since Andrew luck 

Point is yeah he has an eye for quarterbacks, but he might have some hot takes

Simms is fully capable of being revisionist.  I can't find right now but he wasn't always as "high" on Allen as he alludes he was right now.

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Yeah, agreed. I also think that Darnold is an upgrade from Bridgewater, who is never going to get any better than he currently is. Bridgewater will never be anything more than a better-than-average backup (meaning he's still pretty valuable!), but Darnold promises more than that. It's still an open question whether he pans out, but he has a lot more upside than Bridgewater. Moreover, Ruhle can't have another losing season or the sharks will start circling.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/zach-wilson/32005749-4c82-7119-d27e-724ec33f130b

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/sam-darnold/32004441-5246-6141-9e5c-6e7d32a03e33

And I could pull up a lot more comparisons, but this is the head of NFL scouting and his grade..

Wilson, boom or bust 6.5

Darnold, pro bowl talent 7.1

Just curious, what did Zierlein grade Josh Allen again?

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He had Josh Allen ranked 5th, behind Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Jackson, in that order.  In other words, he was very, very wrong.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know what's funny. He changed his grading scale in the last two drafts so it rewrote some of his projections

Allen was in the Boom or bust category if I recall correctly 

Now it pushes him into the will be starter within 2 years.. 6.4 

14 minutes ago, mannc said:

He had Josh Allen ranked 5th, behind Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Jackson, in that order.  In other words, he was very, very wrong.

In his defense it's not like he called Allen and Jackson trash , he had them as Boom or bust guys like your boy Zach Wilson 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

In his defense it's not like he called Allen and Jackson trash , he had them as Boom or bust guys like your boy Zach Wilson 

Same thing he said about Mahomes.  But he loved him some Mitch Trubisky!  

• Haha (+1) 1