Darnold to the Panthers

On 4/5/2021 at 4:02 PM, 17islongenough said:

FB_IMG_1617652870211.jpg

And a bag of chips... 

the chips are important...

On 4/5/2021 at 4:08 PM, mannc said:

Yeah, his bad quarterbacking had nothing to do with it...

It was certainly “both” in this case,

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He "fell" to the Bills in the sense that the 5 teams with picks 1-6 didn't choose to draft him, including 2 teams who drafted QBs.

The point is that it's possible if the Browns took Darnold, the Jets might have preferred Allen to Mayfield - we don't know how they had the QB's ranked on their board.

I personally think they would have bypassed Allen for Rosen, but who knows?

Sure, I get it. You can rationalize it any way you want but we traded up to get him. Falling means a team stayed in their spot and picked a player.  Ed Oliver fell to the Bills.

Great deal for the Panthers if they can turn him around.

So total cost of the move by the Jets to #3 from #6 is 5 players

Quentin Nelson T

Braden Smith G

Kemoko Turay DE

Jordan Wilkins RB

Rock Ya Sin DB .......2019 draft #34

The Colts dealt 49 to Philly to get 2 picks #52 and 169 to get the DE and RB

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Possibly I'm not sure , I know Chris was still evaluating quarterbacks in 2016 

I'm pretty sure he also called Carson Wentz the best prospect since Andrew luck 

Point is yeah he has an eye for quarterbacks, but he might have some hot takes

He pry was.  Between Luck (2012) and Wentz (2016) you had Manuel, Geno Smith, Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Winston, and Mariota.  Just a really bad stretch of rookie quarterbacks.  Now it seems there's a plethora of good rookie QB's to choose from each year.

• Like (+1) 1

Ya gotta realize how happy Sam Darnold is, now that his indentured servitude is over, this is his last chance to have a career as a starter, as unlikely as it is, if this fails, he is a backup QB permanently,  or he is gone from the league... good luck to ya Sam...

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He pry was.  Between Luck (2012) and Wentz (2016) you had Manuel, Geno Smith, Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Winston, and Mariota.  Just a really bad stretch of rookie quarterbacks.  Now it seems there's a plethora of good rookie QB's to choose from each year.

In his terms he was basically calling him a generational prospect, and thatt he could be better than luck

On 4/5/2021 at 3:49 PM, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree.  On the Jets board and even here there is a false narrative that Allen had it great when he came to Buffalo and Darnold had it terrible in NY.

IMO Allen had it worse in Buffalo his rookie year then Darnold did in NY.  I would challenge people to check out both offensive rosters and tell me I'm wrong.

While folks like Colin Cowherd continue to peddle the false notion that Bean/McD did a great job with Allen from day one the objective truth is that they screwed up big time his rookie year.  It wasn't until mid season when they brought in Barkley & Anderson and cut the dead weight at WR did the Bills brain trust start to the right thing. 

For sure in Allen's 2nd year Bean & McD hit their stride and they haven't looked back.  At that point Allen was given the tools to succeed.  But in his rookie year all credit goes to Allen because management & coaching did precious little through the first half of that season.

I can not disagree that the Bills offensive roster was shabby for Allen in 2018.  In the Bills FO defense, I will say that with McCoy and Ivory, they felt they'd be able to run the ball, and with 2nd year 2nd round pick Zay Jones then trading for former 1st rounder Kelvin Benjamin added to Clay, I believe the Bills thought they had a respectable combination of young talent and experienced vet. 

The OL was a complete CF, which nixed the run game, the receivers were not who they thought they were.  Which was actually kind of scary to me, because of what it implied about the talent evaluation, but I'm feeling better about it now.

Anyway, fundamentally agree that Allen had it way worse and that the FO screwed the pooch with the personnel they put around him.  But even then you could see the kid had something.  He could be electric, and light up the team.

• Like (+1) 1

LOL!  Poor Sam!

https://sports.theonion.com/panthers-adopt-patchy-haired-shivering-rescue-qb-who-s-1846644313?utm_campaign=TheOnion&utm_content=1617908256&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=twitter

Bringing him into Bank of America Stadium where they washed off the grime with a nice warm bath, the Carolina Panthers adopted a patchy-haired, shivering rescue quarterback named Sam Thursday, who had spent years being abused by the New York Jets.

When we saw him, our hearts just broke and we knew we had to give up a few draft picks to get him,” said Panthers coach Matt Rhule, who revealed that Sam was so traumatized by the years he spent mistreated in New Jersey that he ran into a corner and started whimpering when they first threw a ball to him. “He’s in rough shape, he was beat up pretty bad so he didn’t want to go anywhere near the coaches and other players at first, but we eventually coaxed him out with a nice meal.

• Haha (+1) 6

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can not disagree that the Bills offensive roster was shabby for Allen in 2018.  In the Bills FO defense, I will say that with McCoy and Ivory, they felt they'd be able to run the ball, and with 2nd year 2nd round pick Zay Jones then trading for former 1st rounder Kelvin Benjamin added to Clay, I believe the Bills thought they had a respectable combination of young talent and experienced vet. 

The OL was a complete CF, which nixed the run game, the receivers were not who they thought they were.  Which was actually kind of scary to me, because of what it implied about the talent evaluation, but I'm feeling better about it now.

Anyway, fundamentally agree that Allen had it way worse and that the FO screwed the pooch with the personnel they put around him.  But even then you could see the kid had something.  He could be electric, and light up the team.

I would also note that the indecision on the part of the Bills front office did Allen no favors:  a brand new OC; a WR as a QB's coach; and a vet QB that DIDN'T want to mentor Allen. 

The front offices faith in Peterman to be able to hold the fort until Allen was ready was deeply misplaced.  As a result Allen didn't take many reps with the 1st team and then is thrown into the starting job in only his second game. 

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's actually the new style.  Tone-on-tone, minimalist decor - supposed to clear your mind and help your focus

My mother wouldn’t be able to sleep at night If I did that. She’s be in my house while I’m at work hanging things on the wall. Mom, it’s minimalism! Nope, that wouldn’t fly at all.

13 minutes ago, The Governor said:

My mother wouldn’t be able to sleep at night If I did that. She’s be in my house while I’m at work hanging things on the wall. Mom, it’s minimalism! Nope, that wouldn’t fly at all.

LOL I'm sitting in my office, and I can see 4 different colors on the wall from here.  I'd be over there with a paint tray and a roller.

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

How embarrassing for NY.  

Excuse me.  Embarrassing for New Jersey.  One New York team....that has nothing particular to be embarrassed about after last season, though of course we do regret that final game.

I think it's a very good fit.  Sam has a lot of talent to work with in Carolina.

I wish him the best, except when he's playing us.

• Like (+1) 1