Darnold to the Panthers

23 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Thats my thing with Darnold. What does he do well? People always show some crazy highlight where he made this great throw. Then I look at the score and it 40-7 with 3 mins left in the 4th. What happened the first 3 quarters Sam????

Of course he is talented. Nate Peterman has made some nice throws, its the NFL. Everyone is good. I see far more bad than good with Sam and I wouldnt want him as my QB. He will make enough plays to make you think there is potential and enough turnovers to make you lose

It’s being reported that the Panthers plan to exercise Darnold’s 5th year option, which means they won’t be taking a QB at 8.  Yikes.

Good for him. Maybe Carolina will actually give a crap and try to surround him with talent. They must believe they're just a QB away from contending, I guess?

I've said it before with Darnold and it's just my own speculation but I don't think the guy is that passionate about football. I'm sure he loves it and enjoys playing but he's not a natural leader, teammates don't seem to gravitate towards him. And he seems pretty indifferent whether he plays good or "sees ghosts" he's kinda just like meh either way. Louis Riddick was at war on the Twitters last week because everyone was talking about a throw Zach Wilson had at his pro day (rolling left and launching it the opposite direction 60 yards downfield) and Riddick found a clip of Darnold doing close to the same thing in a game. Rolls left, throws back the other direction and hits a guy for 35 or 40. Riddick was all about it being a million times more impressive than Wilson because it was done in a game situation. I really wish I would've replied with Darnold throwing the pick to Milano in the opener last season. He rolled left and tried to stick it back towards the middle of the field and Milano just drifted back and snagged it. I would've said "Here's another time he tried that stuff...didn't go so well." I guess I can't blame the kid for trying to make something happen. It's clear he never had any real support in that organization. 

And did anyone see the tweet where the guy recapped all Jets first round picks since 2011? Every single one either traded or cut. And they have over 10 picks in these next two drafts with two first rounders in each and I gotta tell ya I just can't wait to see them screw it up. I hope they remain and eternal dumpster fire. 

Edited by blacklabel

Add me to the list of "good for Sam" posters.  If anybody needed a change of scenery it was Darnold.  I've commented previously that I'm not sure Darnold has the drive to excel, but he can still be a very good QB in the right situation.  I'll be rooting for him and the Panthers as my "NFC team."

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Good for him. Maybe Carolina will actually give a crap and try to surround him with talent. They must believe they're just a QB away from contending, I guess?

I've said it before with Darnold and it's just my own speculation but I don't think the guy is that passionate about football. I'm sure he loves it and enjoys playing but he's not a natural leader, teammates down gravitate towards him. And he seems pretty indifferent whether he plays good or "sees ghosts" he's kinda just like meh. Louis Riddick was at war on the Twitters last week because everyone was talking about a throw Zach Wilson had at his pro day (rolling left and launching it the opposite direction 60 yards downfield) and Riddick found a clip of Darnold doing close to the same thing in a game. Rolls left, throws back the other direction and hits a guy for 35 or 40. Riddick was all about it being a million times more impressive than Wilson because it was done in a game situation. I really wish I would've replied with Darnold throwing the pick to Milano in the opener last season. He rolled left and tried to stick it back towards the middle of the field and Milano just drifted back and snagged it. I would've said "Here's another time he tried that stuff...didn't go so well." I guess I can't blame the kid for trying to make something happen. It's clear he never had any real support in that organization. 

And did anyone see the tweet where the guy recapped all Jets first round picks since 2011? Every single one either traded or cut. And they have over 10 picks in these next two drafts with two first rounders in each and I gotta tell ya I just can't wait to see them screw it up. I hope they remain and eternal dumpster fire. 

I mean, their weapons are veryyy solid. They do need a TE and to sure up their OL.

When Darnold threw to Anderson his last year in NY, he had 88 completions, 88.5 completion%, 1,341 yards, 11 TDs, and 21 completions over 20+ yards.

DJ Moore is a very talented receiver as well and obviously they have CMC.

I don't think it's about them believing they're a QB away, I believe it's about them building for the long term. 

It's hard to be passionate about football playing for Gase. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tannehil type turn around in some capacity. Maybe not that extent but I wouldn't be surprised. If they go get Jamar Chase at 8, suddenly they have Joe Brady, Darnold, 4 weapons, and one of whom was one of the best receivers in college playing for Brady. 

19 minutes ago, eball said:

Add me to the list of "good for Sam" posters.  If anybody needed a change of scenery it was Darnold.  I've commented previously that I'm not sure Darnold has the drive to excel, but he can still be a very good QB in the right situation.  I'll be rooting for him and the Panthers as my "NFC team."

I’m with you ^^^^ !!! Would be GREAT if a year from now the Jets realized they’ve made a huge mistake by getting rid of Sam, 

7 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Had 40 more targets, averaged 4 fewer yards per catch and also had a much better team around him than any year with Sam.

Anderson and Darnold were a nice combo. Jets and any player are not.

More targets typically means you are going to have fewer ypc as it’s not likely every target is going to be deep which will bring the average down. Nevertheless we will have a better idea if Darnold’s lackluster career so far was his fault as well as the Jets dumpster fire wearing off on him or not.

We saw what happened when Tannehill left Gase, and it certainly is possible Darnold could have that type of resurgence. I just don’t see it.

21 minutes ago, Putin said:

Man I would love for Sam to have success in Carolina and Zack Wilson turn out to be a HUGE BUST !!! 

From a Jets standpoint it will be the rest of this year's draft (not the #2 pick) and next year's draft that will tell the story. The Bills are the perfect example for the Jets to follow. If JD does a good job building the team around Wilson then he has a good chance to succeed. If not then Wilson is Darnold, Sanchez, and so on of Jets QB failures.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Special thanks to the Jets for selecting Sam Darnold over Josh Allen.

That was a defining moment in Bills history.

It was the Browns who threw the curveball in that 2018 draft. Everyone had Darnold going #1 but they chose Mayfield. If they would have taken Darnold then who knows if Allen falls to the Bills.

11 hours ago, mannc said:

And I’m saying one scout’s opinion does not equal a consensus.  Chris Simms, who’s got as good a record as anyone evaluating QBs for the draft, gives Wilson the highest grade of any QB the last two years—ahead of Burrow, Herbert and Lawrence—all of whom he liked a lot.

Then why did Darnold return so little in trade, and why aren’t the Jets sticking with him over Wilson?

The Jets are not sticking with him because of where the contract falls.  They would have him this year and need to decide on a 5th year option.  

The team is no where near ready to win - so you would be wasting his last cheap year and then getting into his second contract as you try to build around him.

The Jets were forced to reset - it was exactly what I said during the season.  The timing and the contract did not match up for Jets with a new staff.

We will see who ends up better long term, but many people feel even now Darnold at 23 has as much or more ability than most of the QBs in this draft.  He has a higher floor, but perhaps a lower ceiling than guys like Wilson and Fields.

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

The Jets are not sticking with him because of where the contract falls.  They would have him this year and need to decide on a 5th year option.  

The team is no where near ready to win - so you would be wasting his last cheap year and then getting into his second contract as you try to build around him.

The Jets were forced to reset - it was exactly what I said during the season.  The timing and the contract did not match up for Jets with a new staff.

We will see who ends up better long term, but many people feel even now Darnold at 23 has as much or more ability than most of the QBs in this draft.  He has a higher floor, but perhaps a lower ceiling than guys like Wilson and Fields.

Nonsense.  They are ditching Darnold because they don't think he's good enough and they think Zack Wilson is going to be better.  The excuses people are willing to make for Darnold are endless.     

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

I mean, their weapons are veryyy solid. They do need a TE and to sure up their OL.

When Darnold threw to Anderson his last year in NY, he had 88 completions, 88.5 completion%, 1,341 yards, 11 TDs, and 21 completions over 20+ yards.

DJ Moore is a very talented receiver as well and obviously they have CMC.

I don't think it's about them believing they're a QB away, I believe it's about them building for the long term. 

It's hard to be passionate about football playing for Gase. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tannehil type turn around in some capacity. Maybe not that extent but I wouldn't be surprised. If they go get Jamar Chase at 8, suddenly they have Joe Brady, Darnold, 4 weapons, and one of whom was one of the best receivers in college playing for Brady. 

Where did you get these stats from?

image.thumb.png.c170a723e0866d0078a48bc95638b377.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Greg S said:

It was the Browns who threw the curveball in that 2018 draft. Everyone had Darnold going #1 but they chose Mayfield. If they would have taken Darnold then who knows if Allen falls to the Bills.

Allen didn't fall to the Bills. We traded up to get him

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Allen didn't fall to the Bills. We traded up to get him

They traded up to #7 or somewhere around there. If the Browns took Darnold #1 then maybe the Jets would have taken Allen at #3. Glad it worked out for the Bills.

3 hours ago, mannc said:

It’s being reported that the Panthers plan to exercise Darnold’s 5th year option, which means they won’t be taking a QB at 8.  Yikes.

Once the 49ers traded up to 3 the options as far as drafting a QB were pretty dry. Taking a two year experiment on Darnold was a serviceable plan B. They can use pick 8 to fill another need. Overall it isn't a tragic option in my opinion. Not ideal for sure but not the worst pivot either.