Darnold to the Panthers

4 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

You literally said my comparison is dumb. Just disagree and leave it at that . We're fans of the same team.

You were comparing the one year of some guy at BYU to one of the greatest single seasons a QB has had in college football offensively.

The facts I provided in my post.  Newton was on a far different  planet in his last year than Wilson has ever even seen through a telescope.

Edited by Mr. WEO

42 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wut

There’s been some reports online citing “sources” claiming Wilson is ranked above Lawrence on one or more draft boards. I realize the internet is far from trustworthy, but I find it surprising that any sports site would post these articles. Chris Simms is respected for his analysis, and he came out saying he preferred Wilson. Lawrence remains number one obviously, and who knows the validity of these rumors, but there could be legitimate rumblings about Wilson over Lawrence in some circles. It won’t happen, but I’m just making the point that Wilson over Lawrence has been mentioned, albeit not often. 

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You were comparing the one year of some guy at BYU to one of the greatest single seasons a QB has had in college football offensively.

The facts I provided in my post.  Newton was on a far different  planet in his last year than Wilson has ever even seen through a telescope.

Cam Newton wasn't a surefire 1st overall guy like people seem to think. His system was extremely simple at Auburn and not to mention all his off the field BS. Carolina could've went in many directions w/ that pick. He was a huge gamble that happened to work out. Heisman winners don't even pan out half the time from any position.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Where does Bridgewater go now. Bridgewater in NE makes sense. 

hed probably be a safe and reliable caretaker there. Not winning many games for them but not losing many either. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Why is San Fran hell bent on getting rid of him then?

What they gave up to get to #3 is all you need to know.

This is easy, when the team ran the ball down other teams throats all season 2019, Jimmy G looked great in just managing the game like Alex Smith.

Everything came to light in that super bowl when the 49ers put the emphasis to win the game on their QB, and he failed them. He was only sacked once and yet he looked bad, the Chiefs won 31-20. 

Jimmy G had 3 starts in 2018, played a full season in 2019 and with injuries only played 6 games in 2020. Perhaps they want a QB that can stay healthy. The Buffalo Bills might have shown them what a true stud at QB looks like! 

My thoughts are the 49ers are looking at QB Trey Lance. Both Fields and Jones look better right now. But, Lance looks like Josh Allen in that he has a very high ceiling and needs time to develop... small school, big arm.

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

There’s been some reports online citing “sources” claiming Wilson is ranked above Lawrence on one or more draft boards. I realize the internet is far from trustworthy, but I find it surprising that any sports site would post these articles. Chris Simms is respected for his analysis, and he came out saying he preferred Wilson. Lawrence remains number one obviously, and who knows the validity of these rumors, but there could be legitimate rumblings about Wilson over Lawrence in some circles. It won’t happen, but I’m just making the point that Wilson over Lawrence has been mentioned, albeit not often. 

There were also rumblings teams had Ryan Leaf ahead of Peyton Manning on their draft boards. These types of rumors happen often. While anything is possible and Simms is respected I find it unlikely any team would take Wilson over Lawrence. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Iverwig said:

There were also rumblings teams had Ryan Leaf ahead of Peyton Manning on their draft boards. These types of rumors happen often. While anything is possible and Simms is respected I find it unlikely any team would take Wilson over Lawrence. 

I think people are just bored since the college season ended in the time up to the draft. They just say ***** to create content. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

For all those Bills fans worried about Zach Wilson. This take remind you of anyone?

"In speaking to a director of college scouting from a NFC team that is in the market for a new quarterback, he outlined the makeup concerns with Wilson:

"Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He's a backyard baller who is fun to watch."

"Someone will grab him in the first [round]. I doubt he gets to the second [round] because once the third quarterback goes, after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all.

"His positives are that he's super competitive, not to get scared and won't back down, extremely confident, very smart with keen recall and teammates will play for him."

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Some-Teams-Have-Makeup-Concerns-with-Zach-Wilson

Like perhaps Josh Rosen...

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Cam Newton wasn't a surefire 1st overall guy like people seem to think. His system was extremely simple at Auburn and not to mention all his off the field BS. Carolina could've went in many directions w/ that pick. He was a huge gamble that happened to work out. Heisman winners don't even pan out half the time from any position.

Yup.

Scam Newton 

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Back in 2018 I was one of those people who thought the Jets had outmaneuvered us when they moved from #6 to #3.  My 1st reaction was the Jets were going to screw us out of getting the QB we wanted.  It sure didn't work out that way.  One season of Darnold & Mike Maccagnan, the GM who I thought pulled off the draft coup, was fired by the Jets.  

@Albany,n.y. I'm in the same boat: I was livid that Beane LET us get jumped by the fuggin' JESTS. I thought that was the nail in another 16 year (at the time) coffin. Man alive, am I glad we were stone-cold wrong!

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Where does Bridgewater go now. Bridgewater in NE makes sense. 

He would compete with Darnold for the starting job.   Darnold will probably get his fifth year option picked to give the Panthers a 2-year window to develop him.  Good move for the Panthers

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Lol. You are the 3,417th poster to not speak glowingly about a Patriot and feel the wrath of WEO.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

I dunno - its tough to go from 2-14 to good in a year.  Their offensive line is still poor, they have no running backs, and their WR core is pretty similar to a year ago.  One QB isn't going to flip them from worst offense in the league to... reasonably poor.  Davis will help, i thought mims looked alright at times, crowder and cole are fine.  The biggest help to a young QB is top tier weapons, or a run game.  They have neither.

Oh, and their defense was bad last year and they're pretty much running it back with carl lawson and rankins.  

I didn't say the Jets will be good this year, but I do think they will win a lot more games than they did last year.  They had the worst coach in the league last year.  They finally have a GM who seems to know what he's doing.  They had a good draft last year and they have a ton of picks this year, including 6 in the top 107 picks.  Next year they have two first rounders and two second rounders.  I expect Wilson will be an upgrade from Darnold and Mr. Clean simply has to be an upgrade from Gase.  So yes, I think the Jets will be much improved this year and if they hit on Wilson and Saleh, they could surpass the fish as the Bills' toughest AFCE competitor.