Darnold to the Panthers

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I think it’s a great acquisition for Carolina, but I also think their GM got fleeced. There is no way the Jets were starting year one under Saleh with a quarterback controversy. Darnold could of been had much cheaper at some point this offseason imo. That second rounder sticks out like a sore thumb to me. 
The guy is 100% shell shocked from the beating he’s taken the last 3 years.  I haven’t written him off maybe he can recover with a decent offense, but Carolina still has a pathetic offensive line. Teddy is not great but I’m not even sure Darnold is an upgrade at this point. 

It's a 2nd Round pick in 2022 though. That's roughly the equivalent of a 3rd Round pick this year.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I don't think they traded up for Mac Jones whom they could have had @ #12, but who knows really. 

Maybe...but if you covet Mac Jones are you willing to stay at 12 and hope that NE* at 15 (or somebody else) doesn't jump just ahead of you and snag him? If SF really does want Jones. he's theirs at 3. It's a much iffier proposition at 12. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

The kid could be the real deal.  who knows?  But the Jets is the worst place for him.  Those fans won't wait long....

Absolutely, there’s no way any of us know how their careers will turn out. I’m just amazed by reports that some teams actually prefer Wilson to Lawrence. A year ago you’d assume anyone going all in to draft a QB would be going after Lawrence. I’m not certain of Lawrence or Wilson, as I’ve said there’s no guarantees. It’s just interesting how fickle opinions and analysis can be. Last season Lawrence was the greatest QB prospect ever, and now a one season star is giving him a bit of a challenge. I think it shows that we’re too prone to exaggerations when assessing players. 

• Like (+1) 1

Back in 2018 I was one of those people who thought the Jets had outmaneuvered us when they moved from #6 to #3.  My 1st reaction was the Jets were going to screw us out of getting the QB we wanted.  It sure didn't work out that way.  One season of Darnold & Mike Maccagnan, the GM who I thought pulled off the draft coup, was fired by the Jets.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I know we all agree that it would be great if the Panthers could make the playoffs so that the Jests second rounder becomes pick 50-something and not pick 33.

Right.

But pick 50 next year, and all other picks in the next few years, won't matter if they don't get #2 overall right this season.

14 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Absolutely, there’s no way any of us know how their careers will turn out. I’m just amazed by reports that some teams actually prefer Wilson to Lawrence. A year ago you’d assume anyone going all in to draft a QB would be going after Lawrence. I’m not certain of Lawrence or Wilson, as I’ve said there’s no guarantees. It’s just interesting how fickle opinions and analysis can be. Last season Lawrence was the greatest QB prospect ever, and now a one season star is giving him a bit of a challenge. I think it shows that we’re too prone to exaggerations when assessing players. 

Wut

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, ol what's his name!

Picking a one full season college starter who no one heard of a year ago at #2...what could go wrong??  (asking for a Bears fan)

Oh you mean like Cam Newton who was a one year wonder then got drafted and goes on to shatter multiple rookie passing records?

I guess Carolina should've went with the "safe" multiple season starter that year like Blaine freaking Gabbert, Ponder, or Locker 🙄

Good quarterbacks come in all shapes, sizes, and paths. You either have it or u don't and I highly doubt the Jets are gonna go with Mac Jones over a one year guy like Fields or ol' what's his name.

• Disagree 2

I actually think Darnold will do really well in Carolina. I'm happy for him - the Jets were a terrible situation.  They might be moving in the right direction now, but in the years he was there, he had nothing to work with.

We'll see how the trade works out for the Jets, but they didn't do too badly. If Saleh pans out and they choose the right QB in this draft, the AFCE could be one very tough division.

23 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Lawrence's "dilemma" is that everyone saw him play nearly every Saturday for years--we saw him rack up tons of wins, yet after his first year, he seemed to come up small in the biggest game.  People expected 3 straight from him and Clemson.

Wilson benefitted form the relative obscurity (who's watching other than parents, alumni and gambling addicts) of BYU football.  Plus he's never played in a big game.

• Agree 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Lawrence's "dilemma" is that everyone saw him play nearly every Saturday for years--we saw him rack up tons of wins, yet after his first year, he seemed to come up small in the biggest game.  People expected 3 straight from him and Clemson.

Wilson benefitted form the relative obscurity (who's watching other than parents, alumni and gambling addicts) of BYU football.  Plus he's never played in a big game.

He wasn’t even elected captain as a 3rd year starting QB. What’s with that 

5 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Oh you mean like Cam Newton who was a one year wonder then got drafted and goes on to shatter multiple rookie passing records?

I guess Carolina should've went with the "safe" multiple season starter that year like Blaine freaking Gabbert, Ponder, or Locker 🙄

Good quarterbacks come in all shapes, sizes, and paths. You either have it or u don't and I highly doubt the Jets are gonna go with Mac Jones over a one year guy like Fields or ol' what's his name.

Mac Jones is the 1 year guy 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

lol Newton?

In that one year, he scored 51 TDs (30 passing, 20 rushing--running for 1500 yards, and 1 receiving) and won a National Championship.

you couldn't have made a poorer comparison.

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wut

Well maybe not teams, but certainly no less than TBD's favorite idiot savant, Chris Simms does

Edited by Mr. WEO

4 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

lol well I screwed that up. Either way they're all one year guys except Lawrence.

Fields was a two year starter at Ohio state and a Heisman finalist as a sophomore. Wilson was a 3 year starter.  

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

lol Newton?

In that one year, he scored 51 TDs (30 passing, 20 rushing--running for 1500 yards, and 1 receiving) and won a National Championship.

you couldn't have made a dumber comparison.

Well maybe not teams, but certainly no less than TBD's favorite idiot savant, Chris Simms does

I can't stand know-it-all, sarcastic people like u who crap on people's opinions on a message board. Get a life, dude. There's a reason you aren't a GM lol I stated my opinion and you call it dumb. Why don't u formulate an intelligent and factual response instead of being a ****? 

And yeah it's a decent comparison and if u don't like that one then go on the internet and find another one. There's plenty of one season wonders that came in the NFL and dominated

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Fields was a two year starter at Ohio state and a Heisman finalist as a sophomore. Wilson was a 3 year starter.  

He only started 1 full season

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I can't stand know-it-all, sarcastic people like u who crap on people's opinions on a message board. Get a life, dude. There's a reason you aren't a GM lol I stated my opinion and you call it dumb. Why don't u formulate an intelligent and factual response instead of being a ****? 

And yeah it's a decent comparison and if u don't like that one then go on the internet and find another one. There's plenty of one season wonders that came in the NFL and dominated

That was a factual response, full of facts and everything

Any one of us could be GM of the Lions or the Jets, so what's your point?

Edited by Mr. WEO

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He only started 1 full season

That was a factual response, full of facts and everything

Anh one of us could be GM of the Lions or the Jets, so what's your point?

You literally said my comparison is dumb. Just disagree and leave it at that . We're fans of the same team.