Darnold to the Panthers

16 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree.  On the Jets board and even here there is a false narrative that Allen had it great when he came to Buffalo and Darnold had it terrible in NY.

IMO Allen had it worse in Buffalo his rookie year then Darnold did in NY.  I would challenge people to check out both offensive rosters and tell me I'm wrong.

While folks like Colin Cowherd continue to peddle the false notion that Bean/McD did a great job with Allen from day one the objective truth is that they screwed up big time his rookie year.  It wasn't until mid season when they brought in Barkley & Anderson and cut the dead weight at WR did the Bills brain trust start to the right thing. 

For sure in Allen's 2nd year Bean & McD hit their stride and they haven't looked back.  At that point Allen was given the tools to succeed.  But in his rookie year all credit goes to Allen because management & coaching did precious little through the first half of that season.

Exactly lol it was Benjamin, Zay Jones, and Clay + a geriatric Lesean McCoy and a below average Line protecting him, but anyone worth his salt knew Allen was the future especially after the last few games on the schedule. 

Hell, the staff didn't know he was going to start before the first half of the first game. With no off-season and being super raw, he still put up a respectable seasons and showed huge flashes.

Cowherd is a clown.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Well, The Panther fans are not happy

"We got Fleeced by the fuging New York Jets. The buttfumble team. The team that drafted Ken O'Brian over Dan Marino. The team that drafted a fullback in the first round.

The fuging JETS."

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/topic/169069-panthers-trade-for-sam-darnold/

Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

It shouldn't matter what QB the Jets select at #2. If they fail to build their O line, WR corps, run game they can expect the new QB to fail just like Darnold. 

Agreed, if they don’t fix their flaws on the offensive side of the ball then expect the same results that happened to Darnold will happen to the new QB they draft. Outside of Lawrence none of the other QBS in the draft worry me.

7 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

That's one cheap trade! To think that just 3 years back he was thought of as the #1 overall pick in the draft. 

At the time I remember reading that he was the highest rated QB prospect to enter the draft since Andrew Luck 🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

Been doing some film work on him, eh?  Please share...

Physically he's got it. He's a great playmaker from the quarterback position

But the Jets are a dumpster fire and they will ruin just about anybody. I would even be scared for Trevor Lawrence going there 

Wilson would have been perfect in Carolina, San Francisco, New Orleans... Jets ... Eh , good luck 

He plays like he's Josh Allen, or rodgers , but it doesn't have the body for that to hold up in the NFL.. even Rogers has 25- 30 lb on him 

He's going to have to adapt his game for the NFL

Edited by Buffalo716

I'm thinking the Panthers are still in the hunt for a REAL QB.  Darnold gives them a more valuable trade token then this year's 6th and next year's 2 and 4.

Spitballing, maybe the Niners would take Darnold and stuff for the #3.  A proven QB with upside is maybe better than a lotto ticket.

Spitballing, maybe the Texans are willing to make a move, but not for Bridgewater.  But for Darnold, the Texans (1) can sell hope to the fans, and (2) can echo lots of the posts in this thread and turn him onto Tannehill or better, reversing the Jets' incompetence in developing a QB.

And I still say (from other threads going back to last week) that the Deshawn Watson allegations make him MORE Likely to be traded.  His price drops, and the Texans can save face from their "no way in hell" stance by claiming changed circumstances. 

Watson isnt going to prison.  He is going to settle the cases and maybe sit a couple games for suspension.  Everybody would take that for a Franchise QB.  Panthers want him for 10-12 years and no one will remember a 3 game suspension way-back-when.

Edited by maddenboy

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Physically he's got it. He's a great playmaker from the quarterback position

But the Jets are a dumpster fire and they will ruin just about anybody. I would even be scared for Trevor Lawrence going there 

Wilson would have been perfect in Carolina, San Francisco, New Orleans... Jets ... Eh , good luck 

He plays like he's Josh Allen, or rodgers , but it doesn't have the body for that to hold up in the NFL.. even Rogers has 25- 30 lb on him

Wilson apparently prefers to go to SF (not shocking)

• Haha (+1) 2

It's too bad with Rivera out of Carolina we probably won't do joint practices with them, Josh and Sam would of had a blast.

3 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

I'm thinking the Panthers are still in the hunt for a REAL QB.  Darnold gives them a more valuable trade token then this year's 6th and next year's 2 and 4.

Spitballing, maybe the Texans are willing to make a move, but not for Bridgewater.  But for Darnold, the Texans (1) can sell hope to the fans, and (2) can echo lots of the posts in this thread and turn him onto Tannehill or better, reversing the Jets' incompetence in developing a QB.

And I still say (from other threads going back to last week) that the Deshawn Watson allegations make him MORE Likely to be traded.  His price drops, and the Texans can save face from their "no way in hell" stance by claiming changed circumstances. 

Watson isnt going to prison.  He is going to settle the cases and maybe sit a couple games for suspension.  Everybody would take that for a Franchise QB.  Panthers want him for 10-12 years and no one will remember a 3 game suspension way-back-when.

Yeah nobody ever brings up that thing with Big Ben. 🙄

Edited by Warcodered

27 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Carolina must have been thinking that no way do any of the top 5 QBs in the draft reach them at #8. 

#1) QB Lawrence, Jacksonville

#2) QB Wilson, NY Jets

#3) QB Fields?, SF

#4) QB Jones?, Atlanta

#5) Cincy

#6) Miami

#7) QB Lance, Detroit

#8) Carolina now have Sam Darnold and will draft a different position.

Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Mac Jones could go in any order but all expected to be gone in the first 10 picks.

Good thing too because rumor has it that the Patriots have been very interested in Mac Jones!

Yeah.  I was fully expecting the Jets to trade Sam Darnold and take a QB at 32, so that wasn't surprising.

What surprises me, is that Carolina was sitting at #8 and decided to make this move before seeing which QBs were available at their pick.

Everyone knows Trevor Lawrence is going #1.  The odds are heavily in favor of Zach Wilson at #2.

After that, we know San Francisco is taking a QB.  But nobody has a clue which one.  I've seen solid arguments for all three (Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Mac Jones), and any hints from the 49ers could easily be them blowing a smokescreen.

To me, the smart money for Carolina was to wait until draft night and see who drops to #8.  So by making the quick move for Darnold, that tells me that either:

A)  The Panthers were not comfortable with drafting any of the QBs outside of Lawrence and Wilson.

B)  They are pretty confident none of the QBs will drop to them at #8, and the price was too high to move up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, nbbillsfan said:

As a bills fan, I love it. I really believe that there is an equally good chance that Darnold is a franchise QB as Wilson. I would have feared the jets much more if they kept Darnold and got a ton of talent to move the 2nd overall pick.

After watching him this year I'm less worried about Wilson. The one throw at his pro day causing so much change is very Trubisky like.