Darnold to the Panthers

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

Gambling addiction? :lol: Seriously though, I think it's going to happen. I don't think they traded up for Mac Jones whom they could have had @ #12, but who knows really. 

3d overall is too high for a guy who played almost no football last year and only started one season of 1-AA football.   But Lance wouldn't be the first QB to be drafted too high.  Everything I've read and heard says Shanahan is taking Jones. 

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree.  On the Jets board and even here there is a false narrative that Allen had it great when he came to Buffalo and Darnold had it terrible in NY.

IMO Allen had it worse in Buffalo his rookie year then Darnold did in NY.  I would challenge people to check out both offensive rosters and tell me I'm wrong.

While folks like Colin Cowherd continue to peddle the false notion that Bean/McD did a great job with Allen from day one the objective truth is that they screwed up big time his rookie year.  It wasn't until mid season when they brought in Barkley & Anderson and cut the dead weight at WR did the Bills brain trust start to the right thing. 

For sure in Allen's 2nd year Bean & McD hit their stride and they haven't looked back.  At that point Allen was given the tools to succeed.  But in his rookie year all credit goes to Allen because management & coaching did precious little through the first half of that season.

Very well put. There is not many guys at quarterback in this league who could of taken that kind of beating year one. He was not ready, he did not have help, but he took the beating and must of lived in the film room, put on his cape and carried that entire offense. 

• Like (+1) 4

Carolina must have been thinking that no way do any of the top 5 QBs in the draft reach them at #8. 

#1) QB Lawrence, Jacksonville

#2) QB Wilson, NY Jets

#3) QB Fields?, SF

#4) QB Jones?, Atlanta

#5) Cincy

#6) Miami

#7) QB Lance, Detroit

#8) Carolina now have Sam Darnold and will draft a different position.

Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Mac Jones could go in any order but all expected to be gone in the first 10 picks.

Good thing too because rumor has it that the Patriots have been very interested in Mac Jones!

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

3d overall is too high for a guy who played almost no football last year and only started one season of 1-AA football.   But Lance wouldn't be the first QB to be drafted too high.  Everything I've read and heard says Shanahan is taking Jones. 

And he may be. When I did my first mock I had Jones going to SF @ #12. He is the Shanahan type of QB he looks for in that regard. I just think it's going to be someone different now that they traded up to #3. As long as NE misses out on the QB sweepstakes for any of the top rated guys, I'll take it. :thumbsup:

To draft Sam Darnold the Jets traded with Indianapolis moving up three spots from the 6th selection overall to the 3rd spot.  It cost the Jets three 2nd round picks to move up three spots.   In addition to their 2018 1st round pick, the 2nd round picks ended up being;

2018  Pick #5,  2nd round

2018  Pick #17, 2nd round

2019  Pick #2,  2nd round

A very costly swing and miss for the Jets' franchise.  Now they are going back to the well again and hoping for better luck in this year's draft.  Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't.   The odds are stacked against them.  Just like the Bills' long parade of 1st round QB busts, across the NFL there is not a single QB drafted in the 1st round between 2009 to 2016 who is still playing for the team that drafted them.  It is really hard to project college QBs to the pros.

I still think the Jets would have been better off to trade out of #2 this year for more draft picks and build a real roster around Darnold.  I guess that's all just water under the bridge at this point.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Good move by the Panthers considering they weren't getting one of the top 3 or 4 guys in the draft.  It'll be interesting to see if Carolina's Head Coach is as brilliant as advertised.  Guess this mean we'll be seeing rookie Zach Wilson in the AFC East next year.

Rhule is not the brilliant guy you are asking for.. Brady is the real mastermind over there. If he somehow gets production from Darnold he’ll be a head coach somewhere when the season ends

8 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

To draft Sam Darnold the Jets traded with Indianapolis moving up three spots from the 6th selection overall to the 3rd spot.  It cost the Jets three 2nd round picks to move up three spots.   In addition to their 2018 1st round pick, the 2nd round picks ended up being;

2018  Pick #5,  2nd round

2018  Pick #17, 2nd round

2019  Pick #2,  2nd round

A very costly swing and miss for the Jets' franchise.  Now they are going back to the well again and hoping for better luck in this year's draft.  Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't.   The odds are stacked against them.  Just like the Bills' long parade of 1st round QB busts, across the NFL there is not a single QB drafted in the 1st round between 2009 to 2016 who is still playing for the team that drafted them.  It is really hard to project college QBs to the pros.

I still think the Jets would have been better off to trade out of #2 this year for more draft picks and build a real roster around Darnold.  I guess that's all just water under the bridge at this point.

Or just trade for Deshaun Watson...😀