Darnold to the Panthers

28 minutes ago, The Governor said:

That’s great for the Panthers.

Why do so many people on this board (and the media) think that it's just the Jets fault for Darnold being a trash QB? Did anybody not watch him in college w/ his crappy mechanics and high turnover ratio?

At least w/ Allen his talent was undeniable and he was the ultimate boom or bust prospect. I never thought Darnold would've been anymore than average and after 3 years that's becoming more & more apparent. If he was truly talented he would've at least shown flashes which he hasn't . 👻

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is such a dumb trade for the Panthers. They just traded valuable picks for a QB that has practically zero chance of ever leading a team to a Super Bowl. They should have used those picks as part of package to trade up for a QB this year or next year.

Agreed, but I’d guess they did try to trade up this year.  This shows that they don’t think there will be anyone they like available at 8 this year, which is pretty surprising, IMO.

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Potential: Took his team to the NFC Championship last time he played a whole season.

Contract: $25M/year isnt that bad for a starting/franchise QB. Plus can be renegotiated to a new, long term deal to bring that down a little.

I'm not a huge Jimmy G fan, but I dont get why folks completely write him off around here.

He's a mobile Andy Dalton. Gets far more credit than he deserves.

He was not the reason the 49'ers went to the Super Bowl. That offense had the strongest running game in the league that year.

Garoppolo was fortunate that the CB's & LB's he faced had stone hands, otherwise he would have thrown about 10 more interceptions than he did.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

Darnold would've done fairly well if he were drafted by a competent franchise with an idea on how to build a team. He's not without skill.

Prove it.

He’s got zero elite traits.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is such a dumb trade for the Panthers. They just traded valuable picks for a QB that has practically zero chance of ever leading a team to a Super Bowl. They should have used those picks as part of package to trade up for a QB this year or next year.

Or just stay put and take Trey Lance. 😉

To all the people bashing Darnold- Tannehill was awful on Miami but good in Tennessee, Brees was benched Flutie, there are a ton of stories of a change of scenery being all the difference. Darnold has talent but the question is whether he can put it together.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think it’s a great acquisition for Carolina, but I also think their GM got fleeced. There is no way the Jets were starting year one under Saleh with a quarterback controversy. Darnold could of been had much cheaper at some point this offseason imo. That second rounder sticks out like a sore thumb to me. 
The guy is 100% shell shocked from the beating he’s taken the last 3 years.  I haven’t written him off maybe he can recover with a decent offense, but Carolina still has a pathetic offensive line. Teddy is not great but I’m not even sure Darnold is an upgrade at this point. 

Just now, mannc said:

Wanna bet?

Gambling addiction? :lol: Seriously though, I think it's going to happen. I don't think they traded up for Mac Jones whom they could have had @ #12, but who knows really. 

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

He's a mobile Andy Dalton. Gets far more credit than he deserves.

He was not the reason the 49'ers went to the Super Bowl. That offense had the strongest running game in the league that year.

Garoppolo was fortunate that the CB's & LB's he faced had stone hands, otherwise he would have thrown about 10 more interceptions than he did.

Oh yeah, it was a Super Bowl, wasnt it...

All fair points. I'm not saying he's great either. I like the "mobile Andy Dalton" description.

But he has a decent resume, and I can see a late-round team giving up a 1st for him. I think if New England was in the 20s, they'd pull that trigger. But #15 is a bit high for him.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

To all the people bashing Darnold- Tannehill was awful on Miami but good in Tennessee, Brees was benched Flutie, there are a ton of stories of a change of scenery being all the difference. Darnold has talent but the question is whether he can put it together.

He will be better in Carolina. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Why do so many people on this board (and the media) think that it's just the Jets fault for Darnold being a trash QB? Did anybody not watch him in college w/ his crappy mechanics and high turnover ratio?

At least w/ Allen his talent was undeniable and he was the ultimate boom or bust prospect. I never thought Darnold would've been anymore than average and after 3 years that's becoming more & more apparent. If he was truly talented he would've at least shown flashes which he hasn't . 👻

I agree.  On the Jets board and even here there is a false narrative that Allen had it great when he came to Buffalo and Darnold had it terrible in NY.

IMO Allen had it worse in Buffalo his rookie year then Darnold did in NY.  I would challenge people to check out both offensive rosters and tell me I'm wrong.

While folks like Colin Cowherd continue to peddle the false notion that Bean/McD did a great job with Allen from day one the objective truth is that they screwed up big time his rookie year.  It wasn't until mid season when they brought in Barkley & Anderson and cut the dead weight at WR did the Bills brain trust start to the right thing. 

For sure in Allen's 2nd year Bean & McD hit their stride and they haven't looked back.  At that point Allen was given the tools to succeed.  But in his rookie year all credit goes to Allen because management & coaching did precious little through the first half of that season.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4