Draft trade thought -- complete & total "what if"

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

It’s not as dumb as some make it out to be.. But my friend, my friend, would you not rather have Edmunds + a trade down and simply take Pat Freiermuth? Would the gap in production be so profound that it would be worth giving so much up for Pitts? Think Freiermuth + extra picks + Edmunds > Pitts.

I'd rather have Pitts and a 2nd round LB both on rookie deals than Freiermuth and Edmunds on a big deal. No question about it.

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This is never happening. Pitts might be the best player in the entire draft, QBs included and has been said to be the highest graded TE Prospect ever. He isn't making it out of the top 5 and a team might trade up for him.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

i dont think so no way GIF

I feel like I addressed the unlikeliness of this happening in about 5 different ways, but... thanks?

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, glazeduck said:

I'd rather have Pitts and a 2nd round LB both on rookie deals than Freiermuth and Edmunds on a big deal. No question about it.

Just seems like we would have a better team all around if we just kept Edmunds, traded down and took Freiermuth. Think Freiermuth will be a solid starter as I also think Hunter Long may be a decent target at 61. Once again, are you willing to give up so much for maybe a modest difference in production? Makes no sense to me.

3 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Just seems like we would have a better team all around if we just kept Edmunds, traded down and took Freiermuth. Think Freiermuth will be a solid starter as I also think Hunter Long may be a decent target at 61. Once again, are you willing to give up so much for maybe a modest difference in production? Makes no sense to me.

I'll try to lay it out for you...

I think TE is becoming one of -- if not THE -- biggest position of mismatch opportunities. I think Pitts is a physical freak who, sure, might not be Tony Gonzalez in year 1, but based on talent and physical components alone, would add a different component to the offense. I think our offense could use another big WR AND a better TE -- Pitts is 2 for 1 in that regard. I also think there's an amazing amount of position scarcity at TE, and roster building becomes a LOT easier in the future when you have a franchise QB and a stud TE in the mix.

Conversely, I think this is a very good MLB class. I also think MLB is becoming less of a premier position than it was in the ground and pound days of the league. I think Edmunds, while young, and talented, did show some holes in his game. I also think he's going to be VERY expensive soon and cap numbers are going to be tight for a long time. We've seen other franchises struggle to remain competitive once they have to pay their franchise QB non-rookie salaries, so even a reasonable replacement on a rookie deal will help.

• Vomit 1

34 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Edmunds - 2 Time Pro Bowler in 3 years.    Trade him and a first for a TE prospect?

How many next generational talent TEs have gone on to live up to the hype?  Just to name a few:  Ebron, OJ Howard, Hockenson all were considered to be in some can’t miss, super elite TE prospect categories.  

Well take it from someone who didn't have any of those as true first round grades (I had Hock as a borderline) Kyle Pitts is in a different stratosphere to those guys. He is the best tight end I have ever watched college film on. I have only ever given one tight end a first round grade before (David Njoku who has also been inconsistent and hurt a lot) but Pitts grades way higher even than Njoku. Does that mean there is no chance he is a bust? Nope. But unlike Howard and Hockenson and Ebron the hype for Pitts is fully justified. 

Not that I am advocating trading into the top 10 for a tight end. Not at all. I wouldn't do that. But if the Bills were in the top 6 this year and in a position to pick Pitts I would be in favour of it despite being generally against tight ends in the first. Every now and again a player comes along who is special enough to bend the rules. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Governor said:

You think that the 30 pick plus Edmunds is getting us up to 10???? Lol.

Ummm... Well no, maybe reread it? Also, there are others in this same thread who are loling the other way, sooo... maybe that suggests that the middle ground isn't too far off?

I think TE is becoming one of -- if not THE -- biggest position of mismatch opportunities. I think Pitts is a physical freak who, sure, might not be Tony Gonzalez in year 1, but based on talent and physical components alone, would add a different component to the offense. I think our offense could use another big WR AND a better TE -- Pitts is 2 for 1 in that regard. I also think there's an amazing amount of position scarcity at TE, and roster building becomes a LOT easier in the future when you have a franchise QB and a stud TE in the mix.

Conversely, I think this is a very good MLB class. I also think MLB is becoming less of a premier position than it was in the ground and pound days of the league. I think Edmunds, while young, and talented, did show some holes in his game. I also think he's going to be VERY expensive soon and cap numbers are going to be tight for a long time. We've seen other franchises struggle to remain competitive once they have to pay their franchise QB non-rookie salaries, so even a reasonable replacement on a rookie deal will help.

Tight Ends are definitely scarce in this class. It is Pitts, then Freiermuth who will get overdrafted but I would consider if there at #61 (he won't be) and then there is nobody else I'd take before round 4 earliest. There are only 5 tight ends in this class I'd take before the last two rounds. 

4 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Give it up 😂 

Ummm... Well no, maybe reread it? Also, there are others in this same thread who are loling the other way, sooo... maybe that suggests that the middle ground isn't too far off?

If Collins or the Miami DE or Harris, etc. makes it to 26, Edmunds could *possibly* get us there. We aren’t getting anywhere near Pitts.

Just now, wppete said:

Give it up 😂 

I tried to answer the guy's question. Is this not a place to have conversations? Or did I get here by mistake?

3 minutes ago, wppete said:

Give it up 😂 

You're more than welcome to stop reading this thread.

• Dislike 2

58 minutes ago, wppete said:

What with all this trade Tremaine Edmunds craziness? Kids 23 years old and a beast, the best is ahead of him. Absolutely no way we trade him. 

I think it’s because it seems like the writing is on the wall, since we paid Milano, and knowing it would be unwise economics to pay two LBs at top value...

Because of this, I think fans are playing the “Let’s see what we can get for him” game before we lose him for nothing...

I would try to deal Edmunds for a 2nd. We’d probably get laughed at and have to settle for a 3rd. Take that 3rd, our 30, next year’s 1st, and maybe that could get you within striking range of a great player.

I’m all about the idea of trading him and drafting his replacement but we aren’t getting better value than where we drafted him at. Pitts won’t make it past 5.

Edited by The Governor
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I think it’s because it seems like the writing is on the wall, since we paid Milano, and knowing it would be unwise economics to pay two LBs at top value...

Because of this, I think fans are playing the “Let’s see what we can get for him” game before we lose him for nothing...

Milano's deal is structured so that they can out in two years.... which is exactly the point where Edmunds's rookie deal ends. I know the 5th year (ie. the option year) isn't cheap as such but the likelihood of the Bills ever having Milano and Edmunds earning top dollar at the same time is slim in my view. If they commit to Edmunds then Milano will be a cap casualty after the 2022 season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like moving up for anything BUT a QB in the first or second is just flat out not worth it.  Since we have our QB, i'm quite content to stay where we are or trade down. 

Never mind moving all the way up from 30

3 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I understand you, many don’t realize how good Pitts is, but even with that in perspective, how good is he? 70 catches? 80? Or more? Freiermuth can probably get you 50 perhaps.. So 50 catches + a very decent MLB and extra draft picks or Kyle Pitts? In order for your trade to be worth it Pitts would have to be the best TE in the league. 80, 90, 100 catches year in, year out minimum.