Draft trade thought -- complete & total "what if"

Hear me out... I promise I am not high (on anything but a lot of coffee), drunk or huffing any fumes (stronger than the occasional sharpie). This is not even something I'm necessarily advocating for and a complete and totally speculative "what if" based on various draft rumors, an insatiable (probably unhealthy) obsession with getting Kyle Pitts on this roster and the general desire among many around here to move on from Tremaine Edmonds. This is out of leftfield, but here goes...

• Despite having a Pro Bowl MLB and resigning Milano, Buffalo's been tied to several LB prospects in the draft. It's no secret, however, that said Pro Bowl MLB did not have his best season this past year and he's also approaching a big pay day.
  • The Cowboys at 10 have been tied to Zaven Collins in recent rumors, despite their lofty draft slot, suggesting they're in the market for a big/athletic LB.
  • Dallas is also rumored to be eyeing a number of trade down scenarios.
  • Beane has made no secret that he's open to moving up in the draft to secure the guy he likes. 
  • This draft seems fairly deep at LB, so ostensibly a team could potentially find a replacement level starter in the mid rounds (plus a couple interesting names in FA).
  • While certainly no lock, the draft board is setup in such a way that it's possible that Kyle Pitts could fall to the teens.

What if, we were exploring the idea of including Edmunds in a package to move up for Pitts, in the event that he did make it to the Cowboys at 10? When KC traded with us for Mahomes, they gave us their current 1, 3 and the following year's 1 to move from 27 to 10. But was also for a QB, so you could arguably expect a bit of a premium there, negligibly offsetting a lot more "make good" in this what-if situation. An offer of 30 + Edmunds -- an established MLB (as opposed to an unknown draft pick) might hold a significant deal of interest, while allowing us to keep more premium picks AND get value from Edmunds without incurring the major financial burden that he will soon be (potential plot flaw: no idea what Cowboys' future cap issues look like).

Edmunds + 30 feels pretty even, if not better than a 1, 3 and future 1, but maybe we throw in next year's 3 to grease the wheels. There's likely to be a couple interesting pieces (dream scenario: Jamin Davis, would gladly take it: Jamil Cox, Surratt), and guys like Pete Werner, Tony Fields and Earnest Jones could all probably be had later. Worst case, Avery Williamson or (dare I say it?) Ruben Foster could fill that hole in free agency.

I'm not one of the many who's actively wanting to get rid of Tremaine Edmunds, but I believe GMs should always be willing to deal any player when there's significant value to be had, and this deal feels like win/win to me.

Am I crazy? Most certainly yes. Is there any chance this could happen? Most likely not. Does it make sense if the draft shakes out the right way? I think so...

• Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

9 minutes ago, wppete said:

What with all this trade Tremaine Edmunds craziness? Kids 23 years old and a beast, the best is ahead of him. Absolutely no way we trade him. 

I'm very much not that guy. I think Tre can still be special and have said as much on this board numerous times. BUT, he's going to start getting expensive, and Kyle Pitts is equally, if not even more special. 

If we can get Pitts and replace Edmunds with a serviceable replacement at a lower cost, that's a win to me.

9 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Apparently the OP hasn’t tried my recipe for glazed duck. Yum. 

I'm fairly certain this isn't even the first time you've made that joke lol

27 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Hear me out... I promise I am not high (on anything but a lot of coffee), drunk or huffing any fumes (stronger than the occasional sharpie). This is not even something I'm necessarily advocating for and a complete and totally speculative "what if" based on various draft rumors, an insatiable (probably unhealthy) obsession with getting Kyle Pitts on this roster and the general desire among many around here to move on from Tremaine Edmonds. This is out of leftfield, but here goes...

• Despite having a Pro Bowl MLB and resigning Milano, Buffalo's been tied to several LB prospects in the draft. It's no secret, however, that said Pro Bowl MLB did not have his best season this past year and he's also approaching a big pay day.
  • The Cowboys at 10 have been tied to Zaven Collins in recent rumors, despite their lofty draft slot, suggesting they're in the market for a big/athletic LB.
  • Beane has made no secret that he's open to moving up in the draft to secure the guy he likes. 
  • This draft seems fairly deep at LB, so ostensibly a team could potentially find a replacement level starter in the mid rounds (plus a couple interesting names in FA).
  • While certainly no lock, the draft board is setup in such a way that it's possible that Kyle Pitts could fall to the teens.

What if, we were exploring the idea of including Edmunds in a package to move up for Pitts, in the event that he did make it to the Cowboys at 10? When KC traded with us for Mahomes, they gave us their current 1, 3 and the following year's 1 to move from 27 to 10. But was also for a QB, so you could arguably expect a bit of a premium there, negligibly offsetting a lot more "make good" in this what-if situation. An offer of 30 + Edmunds -- an established MLB (as opposed to an unknown draft pick) might hold a significant deal of interest, while allowing us to keep more premium picks AND get value from Edmunds without incurring the major financial burden that he will soon be (potential plot flaw: no idea what Cowboys' future cap issues look like).

Edmunds + 30 feels pretty even, if not better than a 1, 3 and future 1, but maybe we throw in next year's 3 to grease the wheels. There's likely to be a couple interesting pieces (dream scenario: Jamin Davis, would gladly take it: Jamil Cox, Surratt), and guys like Pete Werner, Tony Fields and Earnest Jones could all probably be had later. Worst case, Avery Williamson or (dare I say it?) Ruben Foster could fill that hole in free agency.

I'm not one of the many who's actively wanting to get rid of Tremaine Edmunds, but I believe GMs should always be willing to deal any player when there's significant value to be had, and this deal feels like win/win to me.

Am I crazy? Most certainly yes. Is there any chance this could happen? Most likely not. Does it make sense if the draft shakes out the right way? I think so...

Edmunds - 2 Time Pro Bowler in 3 years.    Trade him and a first for a TE prospect?

How many next generational talent TEs have gone on to live up to the hype?  Just to name a few:  Ebron, OJ Howard, Hockenson all were considered to be in some can’t miss, super elite TE prospect categories.  

Meanwhile, OJ is third on the depth chart on his own team, Ebron has bounced around teams and had only one good year, and Hockenson is super inconsistent.  

And I can name a bunch more...just naming a few recent ones I remember Bills fans badly wanting to go trade up for or draft.  

Meanwhile the TE position has been utterly dominated by guys like Kelce, Graham, Gronk, Kittle, Ertz...all guys taken between rounds 2 and 5.

Sorry, the idea of giving up a first and Edmunds for a TE is not appealing to me.  Especially since we can just get Ertz for a 3rd if they really wanted and I can’t remember the last time a first round top TE prospect actually lived up to the hype.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Don’t stop there. It’s fantasy land. Trade Edmunds and our first the next 3 years to Atlanta and move to 4. Then trade 4 to Denver for their 1,2 and next 2 1st rounders and Von Miller. 
Is this how you makeup unrealistic scenarios??? 

I like you're idea.

I'm not a huge Edmunds fan & with the Mariano resigning I'd be fine if Edmunds is eventually replaced on this roster.  That said I think the guy the Bills might covet in a trade up would be.......

Jaylen Waddle.  They've seen firsthand what a speed merchant, who can score anytime he touches the ball is like to defend in Tyreek Hill and I think they'd like to have their own version of that in Buffalo.  

I'm never an advocate of teasing up, in fact I usually favor the opposite, but your sentiment about this regime is right.......I don't think the idea can be ruled out with this regime.  If Waddle did slip into the mid teens, which I highly doubt, the Bills would have a chance with #30 & #62.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

i don’t think there’s a chance in **** that we will trade enough capital to get up to draft Pitts.  He’s a top 6 pick imo, top 4 if Atlanta keeps their picks.  To get from 30 to 6 is a doozy and I don’t think that we would be willing to trade our MLB and multiple first and 2nd rd picks to make it happen.  

if we ARE thinking about doing something like this, I’d commend Beane.  I just don’t see it happening with with Josh’s cap hits looming.  Those draft picks will be the basis of our super bowl teams 

23 minutes ago, wppete said:

What with all this trade Tremaine Edmunds craziness? Kids 23 years old and a beast, the best is ahead of him. Absolutely no way we trade him. 

I'm with you here...I just don't get it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

i don’t think there’s a chance in **** that we will trade enough capital to get up to draft Pitts.  He’s a top 6 pick imo, top 4 if Atlanta keeps their picks.  To get from 30 to 6 is a doozy and I don’t think that we would be willing to trade our MLB and multiple first and 2nd rd picks to make it happen.  

if we ARE thinking about doing something like this, I’d commend Beane.  I just don’t see it happening with with Josh’s cap hits looming.  Those draft picks will be the basis of our super bowl teams 

Yeah, hence Dallas at 10. We can't pay the freight to get up to 6, BUT I can easily see ATL trading their pick to a team who wants to draft a QB, Sewell going at 5 and Miami being in play to trade down again with at least 1 qb still on the board. I VERY much doubt he slides out of the top 10, but I can at least see a somewhat plausible "what if" scenario where it could...

38 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Where's the win/win part when you just gave up your middle LB and a 3rd round pick so tying to find that replacement will be harder.  Likely need to get higher than #10 to get him which would require even more draft capitol too.

In addition you're giving up all this draft capital in an offense that likes to run 4 WR quite a bit, 2nd most in the league.  TE also is a position that takes one of the longest amounts of time to get up to speed in the NFL.  Regardless of how good Pitts is, to expect him to be this one year wonder, particularly in an offense with the WR they already have, he's not likely to get 50+ catches as a rookie as while he's busy figuring things out Allen will be throwing to the open WR's

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

I would LOVE to trade Edmunds and 30 (and something else potentially) for Pitts. I think Edmunds is full of potential but so far hasnt quite lived up to it. The 5th year option is going to be a tough decision on him...so let it be someone elses decision. We just paid Milano, I think its unlikely we pay Edmunds similarly. Trade him now and get a gamechanger for us. 

1 minute ago, glazeduck said:

Yeah, hence Dallas at 10. We can't pay the freight to get up to 6, BUT I can easily see ATL trading their pick to a team who wants to draft a QB, Sewell going at 5 and Miami being in play to trade down again with at least 1 qb still on the board. I VERY much doubt he slides out of the top 10, but I can at least see a somewhat plausible "what if" scenario where it could...

It would be amazing if Pitts fell to dallas @ 10 and we traded up for him.  I don’t think there’s any chance he falls out of the top 10z. Like less than zero %

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

This is never happening. Pitts might be the best player in the entire draft, QBs included and has been said to be the highest graded TE Prospect ever. He isn't making it out of the top 5 and a team might trade up for him.

Edited by Big Turk

It’s not as dumb as some make it out to be.. But my friend, my friend, would you not rather have Edmunds + a trade down and simply take Pat Freiermuth? Would the gap in production be so profound that it would be worth giving so much up for Pitts? Think Freiermuth + extra picks + Edmunds > Pitts.