Who is the one player you DON’T want the Bills to draft @30

NewEra

As someone who has spent a lot of time evaluating college players leading up to drafts for 30 years now..............my advice is prepare for the worst.

I stopped investing in the Bills decisions on draft day when Donahoe selected Willis McGahee..........that was the last straw of idiotic, direction-less decisions.........I no longer hang on who the Bills gotta' select..........I try to never assume that the Bills see things like I do.......and when they do(which has been the case a lot lately) then I am pleasantly surprised.

8 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Not even sure what these made up numbers are trying to prove, but Etienne is 10x times better than any RB on the roster. 

Not to mention, Singletary and Moss are some of the worst pass catching RBs in the league.  Etienne would walk in that room tomorrow and put on a school on pass catching from an RB, something this team desperately needs.

Give me numbers back, since mine are based on kamara.  Kamara averages 8.7 yards per reception career, and Singletary is 6.9.  Thats 1.8 yards per catch different.  Across 100 catches, thats 180 yards.  His catch% is about 5-6 points higher so we'll say he gets 5 more catches at the same average and thats like 45.  So 225 yards.  Kamara's career YPC is 5, and Singletary's is 4.8.  200 carries and .2 yards additional per carry is 40 yards.  

That is 265 yards.  

Kamara had 16 rushing TDs - and NO led the league in rushing TDs.  But they had 30 rushing TDs as a unit vs. buffalo who had 16.  Buffalo had 40 TDs to NO's 28 passing though, and generally a considerably more dynamic passing offense.  If Etienne has more of a red zone impact (an area buffalo wasn't top 10 on offense), then it makes a lot of sense.  But if I'm having Etienne running into the same walls in the RZ as our current crop of backs, then I'm not super excited about him providing as big an impact.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Give me numbers back, since mine are based on kamara.  Kamara averages 8.7 yards per reception career, and Singletary is 6.9.  Thats 1.8 yards per catch different.  Across 100 catches, thats 180 yards.  His catch% is about 5-6 points higher so we'll say he gets 5 more catches at the same average and thats like 45.  So 225 yards.  Kamara's career YPC is 5, and Singletary's is 4.8.  200 carries and .2 yards additional per carry is 40 yards.  

That is 265 yards.  

Kamara had 16 rushing TDs - and NO led the league in rushing TDs.  But they had 30 rushing TDs as a unit vs. buffalo who had 16.  Buffalo had 40 TDs to NO's 28 passing though, and generally a considerably more dynamic passing offense.  If Etienne has more of a red zone impact (an area buffalo wasn't top 10 on offense), then it makes a lot of sense.  But if I'm having Etienne running into the same walls in the RZ as our current crop of backs, then I'm not super excited about him providing as big an impact.

Watch the games.  Singletary is embarrassing trying to catch and run.

If you think Etienne will have the same running plays called as guys that run high 4.6s, then you need to seriously watch more football in general.  The problem with our run game is that Singletary and Moss are too slow.  It's too hard to run to the edges with them.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/5/2021 at 10:09 AM, hjnick said:

No RB, Punter, Kicker, QB, or Safety.

I’d be ok with LB, OT, G, WR, DT.

Want: CB, DE if we pick.

Really want: Trade down 

Get out of my head. These are my exact thoughts on the first pick.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Watt is a LB, not a DE.  Same with Landry

Alton Robinson Pick 148 2020, 4 sacks

Chase Winovich Pick 77 2019, 11 sacks

Maxx Crosby Pick 106 2019, 17 sacks

Sam Hubbard Pick 77 2018, 16.5 sacks

Josh Sweat Pick 130 2018, 10 sacks

Dawauane Smoot, Pick 68 2017, 11.5 sacks

Deatrich Wise, Pick 131 2017, 14 sacks

Carl Nassib, Pick 65 2016, 20.5 sacks

Yannick Ngakoue Pick 69 2016, 45.5 sacks

Matt Judon Pick 146 2016, 34.5 sacks

They are edge rushers not linebackers.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

They are edge rushers not linebackers.

They are classified as LB.  Being a 3-4 OLB is not the same as a 4-3 DE.  You couldn't draft a 3-4 OLB and expect him to put up the same numbers as a 4-3 DE.  The 4-3 DE has a lot less room to operate than a 3-4 OLB, mainly because the 3-4 DEs are much bigger and take on more blockers.

On 4/5/2021 at 8:17 PM, GunnerBill said:

I mean there are absolutely loads. Either of the Moores would not be greeted with joy in my little corner of East London. Ifeatu Melifonwu I would punch a wall at too (and I have seen him mocked to us in a couple of places). Ojulari, Basham, Freiermuth, Tevin Jenkins.... none of those would leave me jumping for joy either. Zaven Collins even though I really like the player I do have a major scheme question mark against and so would be lukewarm on him as well. 

Prepare to be letdown then. To be honest this is not one of my favorite drafts. 

7 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Watt is a LB, not a DE.  Same with Landry

Alton Robinson Pick 148 2020, 4 sacks

Chase Winovich Pick 77 2019, 11 sacks

Maxx Crosby Pick 106 2019, 17 sacks

Sam Hubbard Pick 77 2018, 16.5 sacks

Josh Sweat Pick 130 2018, 10 sacks

Dawauane Smoot, Pick 68 2017, 11.5 sacks

Deatrich Wise, Pick 131 2017, 14 sacks

Carl Nassib, Pick 65 2016, 20.5 sacks

Yannick Ngakoue Pick 69 2016, 45.5 sacks

Matt Judon Pick 146 2016, 34.5 sacks

"Edge rushers taken around 30 in the past 5 drafts:"

They're Edge rushers who play OLB in a 3-4.  In our defense, they would be D Ends.  Just like Azeez Ojulari, Joseph Ossai, and Joe Tryon in the upcoming draft.  If we draft any of those three (entirely possible), I don't think we intend to use them as back ups to Edmunds or Milano.

I see some production here.  To get an Ngakoue or Judon later in the draft, our scouting department would need to absolutely nail it.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Prepare to be letdown then. To be honest this is not one of my favorite drafts. 

It is not one of my favourite drafts either. 

6 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

They are classified as LB.  Being a 3-4 OLB is not the same as a 4-3 DE.  You couldn't draft a 3-4 OLB and expect him to put up the same numbers as a 4-3 DE.  The 4-3 DE has a lot less room to operate than a 3-4 OLB, mainly because the 3-4 DEs are much bigger and take on more blockers.

I agree that they are not exactly the same but a 3-4 edge rusher is much closer to a 4-3 edge rusher than they are to an off the ball linebacker in either system.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Watch the games.  Singletary is embarrassing trying to catch and run.

If you think Etienne will have the same running plays called as guys that run high 4.6s, then you need to seriously watch more football in general.  The problem with our run game is that Singletary and Moss are too slow.  It's too hard to run to the edges with them.

I put numbers to explain and compared the best pass catching back in the NFL to compare.

Are you saying Etienne will have a greater yards per carry, yards per catch, and catch % than Kamara? Despite buffalo having no pro bowl linemen on the roster. 

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is not one of my favourite drafts either. 

I agree that they are not exactly the same but a 3-4 edge rusher is much closer to a 4-3 edge rusher than they are to an off the ball linebacker in either system.

I hope they go a pure BPA no matter the position other then QB or 3T DT . Everyone talks about positional needs like G/DE/CB but what I really think we need are more difference makers . I prefer the difference makers to be a DE or CB but @30 unless something drastic happens and a player falls to us like Ojulari, Paye or Farley at CB then I don't believe the next Teir of players are worth a late first . CBs like Samuels, Stokes, Melifonwu and Newsome are all 2nd rd pks same for the DEs like Tryon, Phillips (injury concerns) or Rousseau. I don't think it's worth reaching for anyone of these guys it's better if we can trade back and load up on picks. 

Now if there's no trade I say take skill position players like ETN, Najee or Williams and then move back up into the  high 50s for Rondale Moore . Imagine adding ETN & Rondale Moore to this offense all of a sudden we are one of the fastest elite offenses in the NFL.  We go from averaging 31 last yr to 37 this yr. I know many TBD members might not like this but think about it we need to add more speed to this offense we can't expect to roll out basically the same guys as last yr and think we'll automatically net the same results teams will study what we did last yr and be more prepared for us this season.  I'm thinking we use a pk next yr and 1 of our 5ths to move up for Rondale and the rest of the draft we can go Defense & Offensive line. 

If we take this type of approach we can add a vet Corner and DE after the draft maybe we can get Sherman and Clowney and we can sign a back up Safety like Malik Hooker for cheap. I think with these types of moves we can challenge for a SUPERBOWL title this yr. 

6 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I hope they go a pure BPA no matter the position other then QB or 3T DT . Everyone talks about positional needs like G/DE/CB but what I really think we need are more difference makers . I prefer the difference makers to be a DE or CB but @30 unless something drastic happens and a player falls to us like Ojulari, Paye or Farley at CB then I don't believe the next Teir of players are worth a late first . CBs like Samuels, Stokes, Melifonwu and Newsome are all 2nd rd pks same for the DEs like Tryon, Phillips (injury concerns) or Rousseau. I don't think it's worth reaching for anyone of these guys it's better if we can trade back and load up on picks. 

Now if there's no trade I say take skill position players like ETN, Najee or Williams and then move back up into the  high 50s for Rondale Moore . Imagine adding ETN & Rondale Moore to this offense all of a sudden we are one of the fastest elite offenses in the NFL.  We go from averaging 31 last yr to 37 this yr. I know many TBD members might not like this but think about it we need to add more speed to this offense we can't expect to roll out basically the same guys as last yr and think we'll automatically net the same results teams will study what we did last yr and be more prepared for us this season.  I'm thinking we use a pk next yr and 1 of our 5ths to move up for Rondale and the rest of the draft we can go Defense & Offensive line. 

If we take this type of approach we can add a vet Corner and DE after the draft maybe we can get Sherman and Clowney and we can sign a back up Safety like Malik Hooker for cheap. I think with these types of moves we can challenge for a SUPERBOWL title this yr. 

I disagree on Newsome. I think he is 100% worth the #30 pick. I agree totally on the other three corners you list, I wouldn't select any of those before round 3. But Newsome is definitely worth it. He won't get to #30 though I don't think. Tyron isn't worth a first and not a second in this scheme either. But Phillips and Rousseau I have higher than Ojulari. 

I remain not a big running back in round 1 guy and certainly not Williams. That would be a big reach. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree on Newsome. I think he is 100% worth the #30 pick. I agree totally on the other three corners you list, I wouldn't select any of those before round 3. But Newsome is definitely worth it. He won't get to #30 though I don't think. Tyron isn't worth a first and not a second in this scheme either. But Phillips and Rousseau I have higher than Ojulari. 

I remain not a big running back in round 1 guy and certainly not Williams. That would be a big reach. 

I like Phillips but those concussions are very concerning I wouldn't take him until #61 he probably won't be there but i don't think it's worth the risk at #30. Rousseau didn't test well and I never really liked him to begin with . Ojulari I can't see why u wouldn't like him over these guys he's explosive and plays with some power for his size he got some work to do with his technique but the sky is the limit for him he has potential to be a elite Edge player.

8 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I like Phillips but those concussions are very concerning I wouldn't take him until #61 he probably won't be there but i don't think it's worth the risk at #30. Rousseau didn't test well and I never really liked him to begin with . Ojulari I can't see why u wouldn't like him over these guys he's explosive and plays with some power for his size he got some work to do with his technique but the sky is the limit for him he has potential to be a elite Edge player.

He isn't my sort of edge rusher. Hands, hands, hands..... at times Ojulari's appear like blocks of meat stuck on the end of his arms. I think he is undersized as well and from a Buffalo only perspective he is NOT a good scheme fit. If I was Baltimore or Green Bay or Tampa drafting at the end of round 1 for a 3-4 scheme I'd find Ojulari more attractive I think, but I'm still not entirely sold on him as a first round player even for the right scheme. I love his burst, but I think you can get fixated on that, and once you look at how he plays once into the down I have concerns about whether he has the necessary skills to be an every down rusher in the NFL.