Mid round LB prospect

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Still looking for a Lorax replacement and haven't done extensive looks into it yet. Stumbled across Derrick Barnes LB from Purdue. Maybe a 5th or later. Also special teams experience. Again,  haven't done a lot of research on him yet...

Hate to put another teams link and not really sure it's allowed by law here but a nice little write up I found.. https://steelersdepot.com/2021/03/2021-nfl-draft-player-profiles-purdue-lb-derrick-barnes/

Sorry to quote myself, but I guess I was off on a 5th for Barnes. As I sit here watching Path to the Draft, DJ just mocked Barnes to us as 61... Interesting.🤔. Guess I need to do some more research. 

5 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm a fan of Brown yet he struggles with consistency, I'm okay taking him round 5 but 3 is a little steep.

People have to realize our 1st, is basically a early 2nd, 2nd is and early 3rd, out 3rd round pick is late.

Ive seen Brown mocked in the 60s.... 6’4” 325 isn’t common. He’s not sloppy and showed well at his pro day. Warren Sapp gave him praise, and if you ask him he thinks he’s the top DT in this draft. Bobby Brown is going top 100 easily. 5th round is ridiculous, don’t be surprised if he goes top 75...

22 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I’m constantly amazed that fans don’t see Edmunds tremendous value to the Bills. He’ll be 23 next month, a three year starter, two-year captain of the defense, two-year pro bowler, played through injury the first-half of last season, has the deep trust of elite D coaches, and so many fans are OK losing him next year to be replaced by a lesser version?  

For most of the fans,  Edmunds lack of success in the playoffs (to be a dominant LB) is a big negative against him.   You expect your core player to be a superstar and not just a star.   Tremaine needs to get to that next level when the things count in the playoffs.   he was so-so in the playoffs.   People are looking at him to be  that same time of player such as a Ray Lewis or Troy Polamalu -  Guys who took over games.

On 4/5/2021 at 12:15 PM, Max Fischer said:

How do you quantify this assertion? The league's players and coaches certainly have enough respect to vote him to the Pro Bow.

he made the pro bowl as an alternate one year.  Once you make it, you generally keep making it.   

36 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

he made the pro bowl as an alternate one year.  Once you make it, you generally keep making it.   

The irony being he was much more deserving his alternate year. He actually played well in 2019. He regressed in 2020 and made it and I have said a number of times it said as much about the lack of depth in the AFC at the position as it did about his play.  Once you took out Hightower (who he was the alternate for the year before) through his opt out and Devin Bush with his injury it is a pretty uninspiring group of competitors for that second spot behind Leonard. Edmunds was the best of the rest but that is mainly cos "the rest" was pretty bad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

For most of the fans,  Edmunds lack of success in the playoffs (to be a dominant LB) is a big negative against him.   You expect your core player to be a superstar and not just a star.   Tremaine needs to get to that next level when the things count in the playoffs.   he was so-so in the playoffs.   People are looking at him to be  that same time of player such as a Ray Lewis or Troy Polamalu -  Guys who took over games.

This is the problem, people expect Ray Lewis or Polmalu, when they are only a handful of generational talents to go around. No one, even the Bills, would place Edmunds into the Elite/Star LBs category yet, and those that do thrive, are often in very favorable situations.  It's rare to have dominant defensive players who are on a flawed defense; and last year, the Bills had a flawed defensive line that placed a tremendous amount of pressure on the linebackers.  If the DLine can be competent, consistently be average against the run, and learn to break contain every other play, then I think we could see Edmunds and Milano spend more time hunting rather than putting out fires. 

It's beyond me why fans want to jettison Edmunds and believe a rookie will be better than what we have. 

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Or, maybe, just maybe, his peers saw that he's better than nearly every other AFC middle linebacker?

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He's neither a star or superstar at this point in his career. (Not sure I know the difference, but he's neither.)

Knox, and Oliver are the two I hold out hope for developing into studs. TE takes time to adjust even for the best. Oliver played out of position and should benefit from a guy like Shelvin. Crosses fingers.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This.

Not sure how many times Edmunds was in perfect position in the pass game to make a play and the receiver still made a play because he was slow to react.... similar to Leodis, who always seemed to be in perfect position even as the ball arrived right in the receivers hands. 😅

My favorite is when a ball bounces to him and he acts like he didn't know that was possible.

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/5/2021 at 12:51 AM, Virgil said:

I’m sure Bill would be onboard. 

I’m all for preparing for possible life without Edmunds.  If there has to be an odd man out when it comes to paying people, he’s it for me.  

He has just not lived up to his hype and I don’t want to think about what his market value might fetch with an inflated market.  

To me, the biggest key to our defense being next level is a true Kuechly type MLB

Or a Devin White!