Mid round LB prospect

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm not as anti-Edmunds as you would think. His skillset should not be a surprise to the Coaching Staff after three years. If anything, I would like them to coach him up, and beef him up. In my opinion he still needs to pack on some pounds.

He's already 250lbs. Not sure he needs more beef. I think if they fix the DL and can improve on stopping the run without him, it would help. I like Edmund's but I agree with most, MLB is not the best use of his skills.

8 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

He's already 250lbs. Not sure he needs more beef. I think if they fix the DL and can improve on stopping the run without him, it would help. I like Edmund's but I agree with most, MLB is not the best use of his skills.

At 6' 5 though he should probably be 260-265 honestly. 

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I hear a lot of talk about linebacker prospects that the bills might possibly draft 

There Is one particular that I don't hear his name being brought up often, but he's definitely a bean and McDermott kind of guy

Versatile, four year player, sideline to sideline.. can play all three spots in our linebacking core 

Dylan Moses , linebacker , Alabama

He has the size speed and range of a mike, and the play making ability of a will, with the strength of a sam 

And he could back up Tremaine and Milano as well while getting his feet wet in the NFL

A supreme athlete and really good football player that we should be able to snag in the fourth round, which should help our defense in the present in packages and future 

He does have some injury concerns but that's why he has slid anyways. 

And he does play special teams

he sounds good, but we don’t have a 4th round pick

unless Beane does some pick packaging magic & trades up or, trades down from pick 30

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

He is simply not the type of player that offensive coordinators worry about.  His age, pro bowl status, etc. are all nice, but they really don't mean anything.  

How do you quantify this assertion? The league's players and coaches certainly have enough respect to vote him to the Pro Bow.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When the lead is that he's young for the amount of years he has in the league.........you know there is a problem.

Do you honestly believe that Edmunds is not a solid player and/or entering his 23rd year, it's not possible to get better?

Players with Edmunds skillset and trust from the coaches is pretty rare and just doesn't make any sense that Bills fans believe he could be easily replaced. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I was talking to someone yesterday who is friends with a Packers scout who doesn't think Moses is draftable because of the state of his knee. I believe he has now had 3 surgeries on it.

The Packers probably want him to fall to him as lol he does not have a degenerative knee condition  

He just needs to fully come back from his rehab. Todd gurley's knees were in a much more degenerative state , and he went in the first round

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’m sure Bill would be onboard. 

I’m all for preparing for possible life without Edmunds.  If there has to be an odd man out when it comes to paying people, he’s it for me.  

He has just not lived up to his hype and I don’t want to think about what his market value might fetch with an inflated market.  

To me, the biggest key to our defense being next level is a true Kuechly type MLB

The key to the defense being next level in my opinion is finding that dynamic pass rusher. I don't think LB play is as big of an issue nor do I think generally it is an issue. If Edumonds has good or even decent NT play in front of him he is a very good player. I think Edumonds and Milano are a top 5 4-3 LB tandem in the league. What I see from my fans eye is the lack of a game changing pass rusher. Other teams have pass rush players that can consistently take over or impact games. Jerry Hughes flashes that once or twice a season but he isn't that guy that can have an impact on a consistent basis. 

This team really needs that big time edge rusher. A guy that can command double teams and make an impact frequently. If this team somehow found that guy and the defense stayed mostly healthy it would take this defense back to being a top 5 defense. Having that big time pass rusher let's Hughes get more one on one play and frees up the rest of the pass rush. A better pass rush eases the coverage job of the secondary and LB corps. It trickles down. Whereas even if this team replaced Edumonds with a Kuechly type MLB it certainly helps but it still doesn't help this team generate more of a consistent pass rush. 

And to be clear I wouldn't be opposed to letting Edumonds walk if the cap demands it. I just think that MLB is not the position that is holding the defense back.

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The key to the defense being next level in my opinion is finding that dynamic pass rusher. I don't think LB play is as big of an issue nor do I think generally it is an issue. If Edumonds has good or even decent NT play in front of him he is a very good player. I think Edumonds and Milano are a top 5 4-3 LB tandem in the league. What I see from my fans eye is the lack of a game changing pass rusher. Other teams have pass rush players that can consistently take over or impact games. Jerry Hughes flashes that once or twice a season but he isn't that guy that can have an impact on a consistent basis. 

This team really needs that big time edge rusher. A guy that can command double teams and make an impact frequently. If this team somehow found that guy and the defense stayed mostly healthy it would take this defense back to being a top 5 defense. Having that big time pass rusher let's Hughes get more one on one play and frees up the rest of the pass rush. A better pass rush eases the coverage job of the secondary and LB corps. It trickles down. Whereas even if this team replaced Edumonds with a Kuechly type MLB it certainly helps but it still doesn't help this team generate more of a consistent pass rush. 

And to be clear I wouldn't be opposed to letting Edumonds walk if the cap demands it. I just think that MLB is not the position that is holding the defense back.

Since both McD and Edmunds have been on the team, I believe the softest part of our defense is coverage in the short middle of the field.  If that’s not on Edmunds, okay.  But I personally would love to see that get fixed 

Said this in another post and I think it applies to this discussion as well. I still think the issue is the DT's not our MLB (or LB's in general). We had a top 5 defense 2 years ago with Hughes and Murphy on the ends and the same back 7 (same LB's). Only difference being Star and Phillips this past year. Oliver is as good as Phillip's (in my opinion) and AJ will be as good if not better than Murphy. So really the biggest change and I see was missing was Star. Again, I'm all for getting an edge rusher, but push from the middle and stopping the run would be my priority. Draft a CB or DE early but give me Shelvin or McNeill in rounds 2 or 3. Need a big guy in the middle of the line with some pass rush upside potential. Not just a big fattie. Hopefully Star is ready, but I don't want to have that as a missing piece again this year. We still have the same issue now as we had trying to beat the Pat***** for the last 20 years. Not enough push from the middle of the DL and having to use LB's to make up for it. 

OK. I'm done. Must be low blood sugar levels.😉. Carry on.

Honestly the Bills LB core was at its best when LORAX was on the field (Edmunds, Milano, Lorax).  That was definitely missed last year, then with Milano out we were desperate.

Offenses had to gameplan for LORAX, he was a guy who was all over the field, on the line, inside, outside, off the ball, rushing the passer, dropping into coverage etc.

That guy in the draft this year from what I see is Joseph Ossai.  I think Ossai goes around pick 25, but he would be hard to pass at 30.  Another similar player to that is Quincy Roche DE from Miami, another 6'3 250 type player who rushed off the end and at times dropped into coverage, not on Ossai's level but maybe Miami didn't need that as much, but hes more pick 61 at best.  Had a solid Senior Bowl at DE...….  Maybe Moses is that type of player, but don't know how effective he is on the line or coming off the edge.

Edited by CEN-CAL17

5 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Said this in another post and I think it applies to this discussion as well. I still think the issue is the DT's not our MLB (or LB's in general). We had a top 5 defense 2 years ago with Hughes and Murphy on the ends and the same back 7 (same LB's). Only difference being Star and Phillips this past year. Oliver is as good as Phillip's (in my opinion) and AJ will be as good if not better than Murphy. So really the biggest change and I see was missing was Star. Again, I'm all for getting an edge rusher, but push from the middle and stopping the run would be my priority. Draft a CB or DE early but give me Shelvin or McNeill in rounds 2 or 3. Need a big guy in the middle of the line with some pass rush upside potential. Not just a big fattie. Hopefully Star is ready, but I don't want to have that as a missing piece again this year. We still have the same issue now as we had trying to beat the Pat***** for the last 20 years. Not enough push from the middle of the DL and having to use LB's to make up for it. 

I don't think it's a weakness and I never said it was. But we are still looking for a Lorenzo replacement

And he can play inside linebacker outside linebacker and blitz. He also play special teams

So that would be a solid mid round pick for depth and the future

4 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Honestly the Bills LB core was at its best when LORAX was on the field (Edmunds, Milano, Lorax).  That was definitely missed last year, then with Milano out we were desperate.

Offenses had to gameplan for LORAX, he was a guy who was all over the field, on the line, inside, outside, off the ball, rushing the passer, dropping into coverage etc.

That guy in the draft this year from what I see is Joseph Ossai.  I think Ossai goes around pick 25, but he would be hard to pass at 30.  Another similar player to that is Quincy Roche DE from Miami, another 6'3 250 type player who rushed off the end and at times dropped into coverage, not on Ossai's level but maybe Miami didn't need that as much.  Had a solid Senior Bowl at DE...….  Maybe Moses is that type of player, but don't know how effective he is on the line or coming off the edge.

Moses is capable of blitzing off the edge and through the A and b Gap

He isnt a hand in the dirt rusher, but Moses can do everything in that role besides putting his hand in the dirt.. he can blitz from a 4-3 under spot

7 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Round 3, if he's still there would be DT Bobby Brown, Texas A&M, big kid solid build like 6'4" 325lbs.  Check him out....  

36 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Round 3, if he's still there would be DT Bobby Brown, Texas A&M, big kid solid build like 6'4" 325lbs.  Check him out....  

I'm a fan of Brown yet he struggles with consistency, I'm okay taking him round 5 but 3 is a little steep.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't think it's a weakness and I never said it was. But we are still looking for a Lorenzo replacement

And he can play inside linebacker outside linebacker and blitz. He also play special teams

So that would be a solid mid round pick for depth and the future

Moses is capable of blitzing off the edge and through the A and b Gap

He isnt a hand in the dirt rusher, but Moses can do everything in that role besides putting his hand in the dirt.. he can blitz from a 4-3 under spot

Still looking for a Lorax replacement and haven't done extensive looks into it yet. Stumbled across Derrick Barnes LB from Purdue. Maybe a 5th or later. Also special teams experience. Again,  haven't done a lot of research on him yet...

Hate to put another teams link and not really sure it's allowed by law here but a nice little write up I found.. https://steelersdepot.com/2021/03/2021-nfl-draft-player-profiles-purdue-lb-derrick-barnes/

Edited by LyndonvilleBill

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Since both McD and Edmunds have been on the team, I believe the softest part of our defense is coverage in the short middle of the field.  If that’s not on Edmunds, okay.  But I personally would love to see that get fixed 

Pass rush always fixes coverage issues. That being said I do think that the coverage of TE's last season was suspect, but I chalk that up to Milano and Edumonds being banged up and the inconsistent pass rush. I also wonder if TE's got a lot of garbage time yardage or not? This team will go into a defensive shell late in games and is willing to give up shorter plays over the middle to chew up time. I think part of the issue is scheme as well. This team was able to cover TE's effectively in 2019 for the most part. So I think if Edumonds and Milano are healthy they are good enough. 

3 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I need to comment here.
 My boss who is a huge fan , challenges me weekly with all is thoughts to improve the Defense.  He too might be on the fence about Edmunds.
 my argument was that McFrazier need to fix the dline 1st. My Buddy even brought up Clowney for 5 mil one year prove it again deal. get that edge rusher !

But I do think McDermotts ideal concept is push up the middle. LBs Milano and Edmunds will thrive with a QB moved off his spot. and that makes the D ends and Blitz a better chance to affect the play. Run and Pass.

Shame they did not solve that last season. Not sure just Star is the answer either. Is there a Ted Washington out there anywhere ? Nope. so we need two players that can one tech effectively when running 4-3 early downs
 we would be top five  D again. Yep.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I was talking to someone yesterday who is friends with a Packers scout who doesn't think Moses is draftable because of the state of his knee. I believe he has now had 3 surgeries on it.

He’s got Rolando McClain written all over him.