Who’s the ONE guy you want the Bills to draft no matter what!!?

McBean

3 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Seeing the picks the rest of the AFC East has compared to Buffalo it’s going to be interesting to see just what Beane has up his sleeve. The Jets and Dolphins each have two 1st rd picks and the Patriots pick at #15, the earliest that they have picked since 2008 when they drafted Mayo at #10. 

I like how Beane fortified the OL and how he also added to the LB position. I don’t expect either position to be addressed in the 1st rd. While some have hopes of the Bills to grab one of the top 2 RBs, Harris and Etienne, it would be a mild surprise to me if either name is called on Day 1 of the draft. The Bills didn’t lose to the Chiefs because of their RBs, they lost to them because they couldn’t get to MaHomes. Imo that really only leaves 4 positions to address in the 1st rd and that is WR, TE, CB and the DL. Although I, as in many, would love to see the Bills add Florida’s TE Kyle Pitts it just doesn’t seem reasonable nor feasible. As far as WR goes it’s obvious that we’re ok there for at least a year or 2. So I guess it should either be the secondary or the DL. Re-signing Wallace and the play of Dane Jackson last year may be enough to let the Bills just to focus solely on the DL. 

If that turns out to be the case what would you like to see happen? Do the Bills look towards the future without Star or does Horrible Harry fill that spot? Or is it a edge rusher of some sort, either DE or pass rushing OLB that will be addressed? It’s seems to me to be the latter but picking at #30 makes it pretty difficult to find a worthy player. I’m thinking that now that Beane has filled a lot of depth at certain positions and facing a cash strapped salary cap season that maybe, just maybe Beane goes for quality rather than quantity and uses a combination of player(s) and draft pick(s) to move up into the mid teens to low 20’s to be able to be in position to get such a player. No matter what I believe Beane is gonna have to make yet another bold move in this year’s draft to get the Bills back into some title games this season imo.

3 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Seeing the picks the rest of the AFC East has compared to Buffalo it’s going to be interesting to see just what Beane has up his sleeve. The Jets and Dolphins each have two 1st rd picks and the Patriots pick at #15, the earliest that they have picked since 2008 when they drafted Mayo at #10. 

I like how Beane fortified the OL and how he also added to the LB position. I don’t expect either position to be addressed in the 1st rd. While some have hopes of the Bills to grab one of the top 2 RBs, Harris and Etienne, it would be a mild surprise to me if either name is called on Day 1 of the draft. The Bills didn’t lose to the Chiefs because of their RBs, they lost to them because they couldn’t get to MaHomes. Imo that really only leaves 4 positions to address in the 1st rd and that is WR, TE, CB and the DL. Although I, as in many, would love to see the Bills add Florida’s TE Kyle Pitts it just doesn’t seem reasonable nor feasible. As far as WR goes it’s obvious that we’re ok there for at least a year or 2. So I guess it should either be the secondary or the DL. Re-signing Wallace and the play of Dane Jackson last year may be enough to let the Bills just to focus solely on the DL. 

If that turns out to be the case what would you like to see happen? Do the Bills look towards the future without Star or does Horrible Harry fill that spot? Or is it a edge rusher of some sort, either DE or pass rushing OLB that will be addressed? It’s seems to me to be the latter but picking at #30 makes it pretty difficult to find a worthy player. I’m thinking that now that Beane has filled a lot of depth at certain positions and facing a cash strapped salary cap season that maybe, just maybe Beane goes for quality rather than quantity and uses a combination of player(s) and draft pick(s) to move up into the mid teens to low 20’s to be able to be in position to get such a player. No matter what I believe Beane is gonna have to make yet another bold move in this year’s draft to get the Bills back into some title games this season imo.

I hate to be that guy but.....

The draft is important.....its a fun time of the year....its needed...teams that draft well are usually always competative

but

This team was one game away from the super bowl.....it is LOADED with talent......when the draft is over your gonna see rookies getting their ass beat for a while by quality veterans who arent so enthused about somebody thinking they can take their job.

(Old bills) Oh look at these wonderful new draft picks...they are gonna come in and make your team better every single one of them

(Current bills) You better be good or you wont even make the ***** team

Last year the pressure was on Allen.

This year it is on the coaching staff, Edmunds, and Oliver. McD and his staff need to find a way to pressure the QB, protect Allen, and figure out how to get more out of Knox. Edmunds has to play better. I rewatched the Ravens game and he was awful. Supposedly fully healthy and he played one of the worst games of the season. Oliver has just not produced enough big plays. Solid player but they need more than solid.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Not to sound to much like a coach/gm, but the pressure is on all the teams in the East, lower teams have great draft assets and NE picked up a lot of players in FA. The Bills need to stay ahead, and that's not just by being the same as last year, but better. It's a new season, not going to be easy.

Nobody said it was going to be easy. To think otherwise would just be obtuse as would it be to think that they have stayed the same or gotten worse. That said, the other teams in the AFCE are still chasing the Bills. Until these other teams answer their glaring questions, it's Buffalo's division to lose. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2021 at 11:49 AM, HappyDays said:

I wouldn't assume McKenzie is a lock to make the team. If we don't draft any WRs then he is probably safe, but we signed him to practically a minimum contract. If a WR is the BPA you still draft him. There were times last year when Andre Roberts was taking offensive snaps... We run a bunch of 4 and 5 WR sets. Sanders is only here for one year and Beasley could be cut after this season to save $6 million on the cap in 2022. For a pass heavy team with very few major needs and picking at the end of round 1 drafting another WR makes a ton of sense if that is how their draft board falls.

Yeah, it's interesting.  The Bills apparently discussed KR/PR responsibilities with him.  But they didn't give him enough guaranteed money to make him a lock.  Then we signed Brandon Powell, who's the same age as McKenzie but who actually returned kicks and punts for Atlanta last year. 

The Bills are evidently intent on having some competition there.

Similar kind of thing with OL; we re-upped Feliciano and Boettger and we have Ford, but we signed a couple guys in Lamp and Douglas who have seen the field, and who I'm sure would like to compete to see the field here.

On 4/4/2021 at 1:06 PM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Josh Imatorbhebhe WR Illinois 

I think this guy would be a great get in the later rounds. He is a freak of an athlete and would love to see him in a Bills uni 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/josh-imatorbhebhe/DgrHYOZFc7

thanks.  I think there are several late mod round we options.  I think we need JOK or a RB at 30.  RB drops off big time after the top 3.  Whereas I think a great WR will come from 4-6th round, same with an Edge (Weaver). 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Last year the pressure was on Allen.

This year it is on the coaching staff, Edmunds, and Oliver. McD and his staff need to find a way to pressure the QB, protect Allen, and figure out how to get more out of Knox. Edmunds has to play better. I rewatched the Ravens game and he was awful. Supposedly fully healthy and he played one of the worst games of the season. Oliver has just not produced enough big plays. Solid player but they need more than solid.

Both have been disappointments so far.  Need big years from both. 

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Similar kind of thing with OL; we re-upped Feliciano and Boettger and we have Ford, but we signed a couple guys in Lamp and Douglas who have seen the field, and who I'm sure would like to compete to see the field here.

Does anyone know if Boettger has signed his tender?

10 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Draft capital is a lie.  1 great pick is better than 3 or 5 random picks. The other teams need to prove they can actually draft well.  Miami missed Huebert.  Miami, NY and Ne passed on Lamar Jackson.  

Yes and no.  Yes, one big hit is worth a lot of draft capital.  But no, you can’t ever trick yourself into thinking any one player is a can’t miss prospect.  There are percentages attached to every last one of them.  Don’t fall in love with any of them.

The hit rate for successful players drafted in the first round is 50%.  That includes the Shaq Lawsons of the league as successes.  50% bust outright.  And players that are real difference makers are a much smaller part of the 50% of successes.  Then it declines in every round after.  More ammo equals more chances to hit big.

Those cold, hard numbers are why it was so smart of Beane to trade for Diggs.  He traded draft capital for a much better, surer WR in Diggs than he could’ve drafted there and the only premium he paid was the contract difference.  It’s why I loved that trade so much.

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Yes and no.  Yes, one big hit is worth a lot of draft capital.  But no, you can’t ever trick yourself into thinking any one player is a can’t miss prospect.  There are percentages attached to every last one of them.  Don’t fall in love with any of them.

The hit rate for successful players drafted in the first round is 50%.  That includes the Shaq Lawsons of the league as successes.  50% bust outright.  And players that are real difference makers are a much smaller part of the 50% of successes.  Then it declines in every round after.  More ammo equals more chances to hit big.

Those cold, hard numbers are why it was so smart of Beane to trade for Diggs.  He traded draft capital for a much better, surer WR in Diggs than he could’ve drafted there and the only premium he paid was the contract difference.  It’s why I loved that trade so much.

Shaq Lawson is exactly what player he was.  Passing on Julio Jones and numerous other players is why the Browns were down for as long as they were.  At the end of the day you need to find dudes.  The Patriots havent drafted anyone in a decade and is why Brady left.  

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Shaq Lawson is exactly what player he was.  Passing on Julio Jones and numerous other players is why the Browns were down for as long as they were.  At the end of the day you need to find dudes.  The Patriots havent drafted anyone in a decade and is why Brady left.  

I was born and raised in Cleveland so I’ve watched the Browns issues closely for a long time.  Up until this recent reboot they’ve really ticked off most (all?) of the boxed when it comes to how to screw it all up so you’re way off there.

They’ve had meddlesome ownership.  The Haslams went against a unanimous vote by the brass and hired Hue Jackson instead of Sean McDermott.  They also made Ray Farmer trade up for Manziel and insisted on other personnel moves.  Lerner stuck Phil Savage and Romeo Crennel together despite being from totally different defensive philosophies.  GMs demanded that coaches play certain players.  Coaches uneducated on draft prospects demanded certain players (Jason Gilbert, Gerard Warren over Richard Seymour).  The list goes on and some of it is much worse than that.  But I digress. 

It looks like you are making a common error here.  You think you can pick the players that’ll be elite.  No one can.  There’s a limit to how good GMs can be.  A conclusion of an analytical study I read is really interesting.  It is that after enough of the correct kind of work is done on prospects - so that the effectiveness of more work is negligible - the main change is an increase in the overconfidence of the decision makers, not anything useful.

As for Julio Jones, that is just 20-20 hindsight.  How certain were most fans and people in the Bills FO that Sammy Watkins was going to be an elite WR?  Similar trade, both incredibly highly ranked WR prospects and a similar injury history in college too.  Similar expectations.  But vastly different results.

It is worth it for a team to put a lot of draft capital into a good chance of finding their franchise QB.  A case can be made that it is worth overspending draft or financial capital to get the last piece for an otherwise elite team for a SB run.  But beyond that you really only want to move up for a player that is “sticking out” and then only within reason.  Otherwise spread that draft capital around and make trades with desperate teams to acquire more.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.