Who’s the ONE guy you want the Bills to draft no matter what!!?

McBean

5 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Travis Etienne or Kadarius Toney. Either one would put this offense over the top. Each of them bring speed and elusiveness to their respective position groups. Those are my guys. 

Love this 

• Like (+1) 1

I like Pitts but he is not realistic at 30.  And I am still holding out hope that Ertz can be brought in for a 5th.

I like bpa in an area of high cost for the long term team building aspects.  That means a DE/DL, OL, or WR (it's true that CB is in this category but I do not like it when they are drafted).  These positions are less risky because even if the player only makes it to rotational status they still are a bargain. 

The Q Jeffersons, Addison, Murphies over $5m apiece.  A vet RB like Fournette or Bell was only $2m.  And we have two 3rd round RBs already on the roster.  Don't even think about doing RB again until maybe next year when you could get someone who gets groomed to replace Singletary.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Zay Jones was #1 in receptions and set the all time NCAA record along with winning the Billitnekoff award. 

Doesn't mean a lot.

Is East Carolina in the SEC? The top 2 CBs are coming out of the SEC potentially 2 top 15 picks. You see some of his highlights against both those teams?

20 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Is East Carolina in the SEC? The top 2 CBs are coming out of the SEC potentially 2 top 15 picks. You see some of his highlights against both those teams?

Plenty of WRs from the SEC have been busts in the NFL. Florida has a long list of them alone...

Edited by Big Turk

39 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Plenty of WRs from the SEC have been busts in the NFL. Florida has a long list of them alone...

We will see. I just think Moore in the right system can be a dominant slot WR in this league. Slot WR being a big role in this offense.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, glazeduck said:

Obviously a lot still to play out but I think a cb at 30 starts right away. Wallace is maybe barely sufficient and Jackson is an end of roster guy. You could make a pretty strong argument for Freirmuth to start too. AND a RB at 30 would absolutely be our starter...

I can see an argument for Moore, or another 4th wr playing a lot only because RB and TE are arguably our worst two positions, but generally speaking, 4 wr packages aren’t overly common as any sort of “base” in the nfl, so they’d still be a sub-package guy and or injury backup. If you assume he plays maybe half the snaps, I’m not sure his contribution, relative to what a later wr or Hodgins would give you, is worth that high of a draft pick, compared to what you could get at cb, TE or RB. 

Good point with Freiermuth. He’s a perfect compliment to a knox as he’s bigger with more potential as a run blocker.  I’d love to get 2TE sets involved.  Considering our OL as a collective run blocking unit, 2TE sets might be what we need to unlock our run game. 

He’s not my guy though.  I prefer Jordan (and tremble) based on being able to spend a later pick to get him.  I feel Jordan’s run after the catch ability could be a huge asset for us and he’s no slouch as a blocker.    He’s a potential big play guy.  Something we need.  

I haven’t looked into that many tight ends.  Mostly just the top 5-6.  What 5-7th rd TEs do you guys like?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Good point with Freiermuth. He’s a perfect compliment to a knox as he’s bigger with more potential as a run blocker.  I’d love to get 2TE sets involved.  Considering our OL as a collective run blocking unit, 2TE sets might be what we need to unlock our run game. 

He’s not my guy though.  I prefer Jordan (and tremble) based on being able to spend a later pick to get him.  I feel Jordan’s run after the catch ability could be a huge asset for us and he’s no slouch as a blocker.    He’s a potential big play guy.  Something we need.  

I haven’t looked into that many tight ends.  Mostly just the top 5-6.  What 5-7th rd TEs do you guys like?

Freirmuth was more just a devil’s advocate argument, I’m not a fan of taking him in the first. I like Jordan quite a bit too, but think folks are setting themselves up for disappointment with Tremble if those two are drafted in the same area. 

Honestly I hate this TE class. Pitts is obviously incredible, but other than him I think PF and Jordan are the only other non-JAGs in the draft. If we miss on those 3 I’d just assume address other spots and sign jake butt, Jesse James or a TE that gets cut. 

• Agree 1

If Farley drops, I'd like to pick him up.

A BIG fatty at the 1 Tech to replace star after this year.

Chubba Hubbard at RB in later rounds.  The dude can fly.  Need to add a new RB stud to the corral every year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hjnick said:

If Farley drops, I'd like to pick him up.

A BIG fatty at the 1 Tech to replace star after this year.

Chubba Hubbard at RB in later rounds.  The dude can fly.  Need to add a new RB stud to the corral every year.

Hubbard is from Canada. I always liked him but didn’t think he had a great year. Does he play as fast as the 4.36 that he ran?

16 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I totally agree BUT for one moment let's look at the opposite of what you said for the sake of discussion.

What positions drafted at #30 would have the highest chance of cracking the starter list?

I don't know if Beane is thinking that way but if he was my list is pretty short.

#2 CB

#1 RB

#1 TE

Top 2 rotational Pass Rushing DE

That is how I see it and it wouldn't surprise me at all if one of those 4 positions are selected at #30.

I hear this - my only issue is that at every position except CB - previous picks start the season as back-up.

White at CB was the only true rookie to start and even he started out limited.

Both Singletary and Moss started out as back-ups until about half way through the season - even though both were clearly better.

Knox didn’t see a ton of playing time even with the injuries at the position and Sweeney started rotating in late his rookie year.

AJ basically got starting juice about 1/2 way into the season.

I believe McD looks at the analytics and sees most rookies hit a wall at 8-10 games - so he starts them out slow - sometimes very slow - to ensure they are in shape and ready to go.  He also wants to ensure they are mentally prepared to do the job - so it does not create holes that impact the team.

I will also say - other than RB - most positions take a significant amount of time to transition to the NFL.  DE (EDGE) and TE most notably.  I wouldn’t expect any TE drafted this year to have much impact - including a guy like Pitts.  Rarely does a TE transition and put up quality numbers as a rookie.

So if I look at it from your perspective- what position has the highest % chance to start - only CB has shown that as an option.  On the other hand - if you ask what position could have an impact in year one and beyond - then the list expands to DE, TE, WR, LB, and DB.

The one position that to me has the least chance of having a significant impact both in year one and over time is RB because it is a 4 year position - you typically do not want to use a 5th year option or re-sign, the average over replacement is typically not a huge gain, and finally - even with a relatively easy transition - pass blocking is an issue and McD seems to start increasing playing time around week 6 for these guys - so you lose 1/2 of season 1 and then you are down to 3 season left.  

Get a RB later - chew them up and spit them out.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Georgie said:

BEASLEY will be in the slot. Ridiculous to draft a WR at 30 with the depth they have. Who sits? Sanders? Davis? McKenzie? Any player drafted at 30 must be an immediate contributor. 

Other than QB, WR depth is a Bills Achilles Heal. If any of the top-4 go down, the offensive doesn’t function near as well without an elite corps. I like McKenzie but the Bills could use a season long upgrade like Moore ( who would then take over for Sanders and/or Beasley next year. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hubbard is from Canada. I always liked him but didn’t think he had a great year. Does he play as fast as the 4.36 that he ran?

I think Hubbard's ankle was bad all season before he finally stopped playing on it. He didn't have a great 2020 but it looked like he could barely cut on that ankle all year. I didn't think he was a 4.36 guy but he's no slouch. Ran for Canada in the final of the World Youth Games in the 100m.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

To what extent are the Bills planning on building around Josh Allen? Because if they are truly, 100% committed to building around him, you want to do as much to set him up for success as the Chiefs have done for Patrick Mahomes. Ideally, you want to surround him with young WRs that can remain with the team for the vast bulk of his career.

Although I don’t disagree with the sentiment- the initial statement above is 100% false.  The KC offense was built for Alex Smith.  They had been acquiring talent for that offense for years before Mahomes was drafted. Including Kelce and Hill that were both drafted before Mahomes.  Their drafts have been almost 100% Defense and back-up late OL. 

Since Mahomes was drafted - they have drafted 1 WR in Hardman in Rd2 that has not been able to get into a starting role - even with a ton of injuries to WRs and an average RB in round 1 last year.  That is the extent of their investment in Mahomes and skilled offensive players.

The Bills have already done more for Josh Allen with 2 WRs drafted last year, 2 TEs drafted, 2 RBs drafted, and acquiring Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, and McKittrick (LOL) all since Josh was drafted.

The Bills are trying to build a team with some levels of experience: They have some crafty veterans on shorter deals that can get replaced, they have the solid #1 in his prime, and they have 3 young players that can grow to fill roles.  The TEs have a few young guys and a veteran, but all are younger and can grow.  The RB room has 2 young 3rd round picks and a more veteran presence.

I love the Bills approach to building around Allen and as far as I can tell it is significantly better than the job KC has done.  KC just started from a better place with Mahomes because they have been an offense first team since Reid took over and where building the offense around a QB for 5 years before Mahomes was drafted.  The Bills on the other hand had a total blank slate on offense because they have not had a QB in 10 years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.