Who’s the ONE guy you want the Bills to draft no matter what!!?

McBean

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

This is my guy as feel he's the good John Brown/Isiah McKenzie combo we could use long term. Yet be probably won't last to Round 3 which be earliest I'd consider a WR. As think we need help at CB and DE more. I could also see getting an Olineman on day 2 over WR and like a TE and RB too. 

Yeah if we’re talking about taking about Elijah Moore in the 1st or a slight move up to get eskridge in the early 3rd, I’ll take the latter 10 times out of 10. 

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We lack speed at WR-  there are several burners in this class.  We need one.  

I agree with this much from your reply.  I can see that type of WR being drafted but not in the 1st or 2nd.

We shall see in a few weeks what Beane is thinking.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I disagree for a few reasons:  

WR has high positional value and we currently have 2 experienced WRs under contract for next season.  

We are a pass first offense and will continue to be just that for the next decade+.  Diggs is about to be paid 20m a year. We need cheap compliments to him.  A 2nd or 3rd rd Wr is exactly that.  

There may be a boatload of free agent WRs next year, but they won’t be cheap just because of our offense.  Sanders at 34, is making 6M.  The draft picks will cost 1M per year for 4 years. WR is a position that we should have “our guys”, not just whichever FAs wil sign here for cheap.

We lack speed at WR-  there are several burners in this class.  We need one.  

We run 4-5 WR sets more than every team

in the league not named Arizona.  Injuries happen.  We need good depth at the position. 6 GOOD WRs minimum.  

Hodgins isn’t good.....yet.  We have no clue what he is and shouldn’t count on him. He needs to compete for a spot and the ideal position for him, imo, is the PS.  

we should continue to draft WRs

Even Sean McDermott says WR is the Bills "fastball"............I don't expect them to let the position atrophy.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I agree that we should keep drafting wrs, but I also think wr is a spot where you can manufacture some amount of production. If we’re not needing stars — and by the looks of it, Diggs and davis should have us fairly set for the time being, I don’t think those picks need to be premium picks. 

I would also caution using our 4 and 5 wide sets as the basis for your thesis when our RBs and TEs both suck, what else are you going to do? That felt like Daboll leaning into our relative strength, rather than any innovative new approach to long term winning football. 

We need to become MORE multidimensional with our sets.  That said, 4wr sets will likely be our bread and butter while Allen is our QB.  It can’t be the only thing we do well, but it will likely be the thing we do best, hence the need for great WRs.  Out OL is pretty much set this year.  Similar to last year. Not much is going to change unless we land a stud TE which allows us to run more 2TE sets. I would LOVE that....but adding a stud TE is easier said than done.  Especially for the Bills, who haven’t had a pro bowler since the 60s.

we added Diggs and davis last year and all of a sudden, we’re a top 3 passing team. 17 improvement had a lot to do with it, but Diggs was equally important imo.  Davis looks to be very good wr.  I don’t think we’ll ever be calling him great (I hope I’m wrong).    

The more great playmakers we have, the better our O will be. I hope to have at the very least, 4 very good WRs on our team every season.  We have that this year and I’m sure thats why people prefer not to spend a high pick on an already stacked position, but it’s only stacked as long as you keep stacking it.  WR and OL will always be the 2 most important units as long as 17 is under center.  Keep them stacked. 

1 hour ago, Georgie said:

BEASLEY will be in the slot. Ridiculous to draft a WR at 30 with the depth they have. Who sits? Sanders? Davis? McKenzie? Any player drafted at 30 must be an immediate contributor. 

I don’t agree with the premise that their first round pick must be an immediate starter.  I like the long view and if they think a player will be a long-term contributor even if they are a backup this year, it is OK.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We need to become MORE multidimensional with our sets.  That said, 4wr sets will likely be our bread and butter while Allen is our QB.  It can’t be the only thing we do well, but it will likely be the thing we do best, hence the need for great WRs.  Out OL is pretty much set this year.  Similar to last year. Not much is going to change unless we land a stud TE which allows us to run more 2TE sets. I would LOVE that....but adding a stud TE is easier said than done.  Especially for the Bills, who haven’t had a pro bowler since the 60s.

we added Diggs and davis last year and all of a sudden, we’re a top 3 passing team. 17 improvement had a lot to do with it, but Diggs was equally important imo.  Davis looks to be very good wr.  I don’t think we’ll ever be calling him great (I hope I’m wrong).    

The more great playmakers we have, the better our O will be. I hope to have at the very least, 4 very good WRs on our team every season.  We have that this year and I’m sure thats why people prefer not to spend a high pick on an already stacked position, but it’s only stacked as long as you keep stacking it.  WR and OL will always be the 2 most important units as long as 17 is under center.  Keep them stacked. 

All Just comes down to use of resources. I think we’d all love to have 4 great wrs, but when you only have 1 good corner, an iffy-at-best TE, aging pass rushers, nothing proven at RB, I’m not sure you can afford to make that investment. 

At some point it comes down to trusting the front office and coaching staff. Everyone was fairly shocked and skeptical when we signed Beasley and look how that turned out. Ditto for Gabe Davis. Agree that moves need to be made with the future in mind, but some of that involves development and filling holes in FA. You’re concerned about 2 guys leaving after this year...it seems pretty fair — especially if they’re going to be our 3rd or 4th guy — to expect one of those spots to be filled via FA. So we need one more in the long term? Even if Hodgins doesn’t pan out (I’m very much not expecting him too, but guys DO develop), we can afford to take a developmental guy since he’ll be out FIFTH wr this year and develop him to keep the pipeline going. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t agree with the premise that their first round pick must be an immediate starter.  I like the long view and if they think a player will be a long-term contributor even if they are a backup this year, it is OK.

I totally agree BUT for one moment let's look at the opposite of what you said for the sake of discussion.

What positions drafted at #30 would have the highest chance of cracking the starter list?

I don't know if Beane is thinking that way but if he was my list is pretty short.

#2 CB

#1 RB

#1 TE

Top 2 rotational Pass Rushing DE

That is how I see it and it wouldn't surprise me at all if one of those 4 positions are selected at #30.

58 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

It’s deep but it’s not THAT deep. He’s one of the freakiest athletes in the history of the draft, has some decent film And was an elite HS recruit. I think he’ll be gone before the 5th rd. 

He could go by round 5.......only takes one team.........but the only thing freaky about his athletic profile at his pro day was his vertical leap. 

I mean there are much bigger WR's like Fehoko and Harris with similar college production running sub 4.4's at their pro days......it is probably the deepest WR class ever.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He could go by round 5.......only takes one team.........but the only thing freaky about his athletic profile at his pro day was his vertical leap. 

I mean there are much bigger WR's like Fehoko and Harris with similar college production running sub 4.4's at their pro days......it is probably the deepest WR class ever.

Fehoko will go undrafted and is not an nfl athlete. 

43 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I totally agree BUT for one moment let's look at the opposite of what you said for the sake of discussion.

What positions drafted at #30 would have the highest chance of cracking the starter list?

I don't know if Beane is thinking that way but if he was my list is pretty short.

#2 CB

#1 RB

#1 TE

Top 2 rotational Pass Rushing DE

That is how I see it and it wouldn't surprise me at all if one of those 4 positions are selected at #30.

I could imagine a CB taken at 30 challenging for a starting job this year.  Same with RB, but I don’t see a TE that is likely any upgrade over Knox- at least not worth th 30th pick.  Same story at DE, a good rookie could play a significant role, but who will be available at 30 that is that good?

14 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Ifeatu Melinfowu

No thank you - his brother was a similar athlete and never panned out.  Additionally, Syracuse was a pretty weak D for having draftable players at CB and S - I think those players might be over-hyped.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I could imagine a CB taken at 30 challenging for a starting job this year.  Same with RB, but I don’t see a TE that is likely any upgrade over Knox- at least not worth th 30th pick.  Same story at DE, a good rookie could play a significant role, but who will be available at 30 that is that good?

I am only a casual fan of college football and totally rely on knowledgeable posters as to who is worthy of a #30 pick.

Actually the draft is originally why I started reading the boards in the first place!

Having said that the best I can do is look at what Beane might be thinking when it comes to positions and that's why I say

that CB along with the other 3 are my BPAs if a player deserving is available.

One thing so far in FA that is a little strange is how the CB position has been skipped with the exception of Levi.

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nearly 500 undrafted players are on NFL rosters every season.

And almost none on them are stars. I’m not advocating for Imatorbhebhe necessarily, but his pro day numbers are some Of the most explosive numbers ever recorded. That’s the type of athleticism that could turn into something special.

Fairley or Waddle.  Shutdown Cb to pair with White or a blazer outside to give anoyher dimension to the offense.  

22 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Caleb Farley 

Hopefully, the medical scares some teams away early.  

3 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

And almost none on them are stars. I’m not advocating for Imatorbhebhe necessarily, but his pro day numbers are some Of the most explosive numbers ever recorded. That’s the type of athleticism that could turn into something special.

The stars in the league come predominantly from the first 3 rounds.........check any pro bowl roster.

Disagree about Imatorbhebhe even being an explosive WR despite his jumping ability.........you don't really see that in his actual game........he reminds me more of Jonnu Smith as a prospect than any successful current WR.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.