Who’s the ONE guy you want the Bills to draft no matter what!!?

McBean

2 hours ago, glazeduck said:

All Just comes down to use of resources. I think we’d all love to have 4 great wrs, but when you only have 1 good corner, an iffy-at-best TE, aging pass rushers, nothing proven at RB, I’m not sure you can afford to make that investment. 

At some point it comes down to trusting the front office and coaching staff. Everyone was fairly shocked and skeptical when we signed Beasley and look how that turned out. Ditto for Gabe Davis. Agree that moves need to be made with the future in mind, but some of that involves development and filling holes in FA. You’re concerned about 2 guys leaving after this year...it seems pretty fair — especially if they’re going to be our 3rd or 4th guy — to expect one of those spots to be filled via FA. So we need one more in the long term? Even if Hodgins doesn’t pan out (I’m very much not expecting him too, but guys DO develop), we can afford to take a developmental guy since he’ll be out FIFTH wr this year and develop him to keep the pipeline going. 

I agree.  I’m not saying we have to or even should take a WR in rd 1 or 2.  It all depends on Beanes assessment of the prospects.  He can’t bypass on a WR for a DE or CB if he thinks the WR is THE guy while being unsure about the DE or CB.  That’s bad drafting to fill needs. He’s positioned himself to draft BPA.  That’s what he should do.  If the prospects are very close in his assessment, than I lean towards drafting the player that fills the need. 

There are still plenty other FA options out there to play cb2 (Bouye, Heyward, nelson,  Sherman, McCourty, breeland, Conley),  Which rookie corners are going to be better than these guys? And by how much?  One year bandaids are readily available.  Take the best players in the draft.

There are still a couple pass rushers as well (Houston, Kerrigan, Clowney, Ingram, Vernon, crawford).  Same question applies. Which rookies @30 or 61 will have more of an effect that these guys might have.  

We’re finally a contender and might actually be able to land a cb2 or pass rusher ring chaser on a cheaper 1 year deal.  We shouldn’t be drafting for need.  Sustained success is much easier when you draft the best players, regardless of position 

For those that say there is no money left, you don’t know what you’re talking about.  Restructures = instant cap room.  we can make it work. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

There is a boatload of vet FA WRs next year so I would not be worried about Sanders position next year.

As for Beasley the only way he will be let go is if his play significantly drops off.

With Josh Allen as QB there will always be WRs wanting to come to Buffalo.  

Beane last year used a 1st, 4th, 5th, 2-6th in 2020 and a 2021 4th on WRs.

I don't see another WR taken this year until the 5th unless one of "their guys" drop in the 3rd.

To what extent are the Bills planning on building around Josh Allen? Because if they are truly, 100% committed to building around him, you want to do as much to set him up for success as the Chiefs have done for Patrick Mahomes. Ideally, you want to surround him with young WRs that can remain with the team for the vast bulk of his career.

Right now he doesn't have WRs like that, except for Gabe Davis. Beasley and Sanders are on the wrong side of 30. Stephon Diggs is under 30, but a few years older than Allen.

They say a WR doesn't truly come into his own until year 3. Going WR at 30 would allow the Bills to bring a player along slowly for his rookie year, then have him step up next year to replace the possibly departing/aging/declining Sanders. At that point you have a young, presumably very good WR who will remain with Allen and the Bills for the next 10+ years.

• Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

Because if they are truly, 100% committed to building around him, you want to do as much to set him up for success as the Chiefs have done for Patrick Mahomes.

Tyreek Hill was a 5th round WR drafted before KC drafted Mahomes and they have one 2nd round pick since drafting Mahomes.

Let's not rewrite the Chiefs history.

Beane has set himself up pretty good for the draft so maybe he will pick a WR in the 1st.

I'm just in the group who thinks that is a longshot.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

Would be amazing at 30

Him or ETN

You can never give Josh Allen too many weapons.

Elijah Moore would be a wonderful pick at 30. 

Sanders 34 and Beasley 32 - good to be 1 year ahead there. WR is so important in this offense, and u always add to a strength.

I think Moore will be available at their 2nd pick and may still not be best player available, though would be a candidate.  Who are the best pure slot receivers in the league and where were they drafted?  I’d say guys like Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Cole Beasley and a few others are highly valuable, but not highly valued on draft day.  I haven’t looked I can up, but all of those listed were late picks, if drafted at all.

I would be shy about touching Moore before round 3.

34 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Tyreek Hill was a 5th round WR drafted before KC drafted Mahomes and they have one 2nd round pick since drafting Mahomes.

Let's not rewrite the Chiefs history.

Beane has set himself up pretty good for the draft so maybe he will pick a WR in the 1st.

I'm just in the group who thinks that is a longshot.

If the Bills think they can get the next Tyreek Hill in the 5th round, by all means I'd love to see that happen! But if they don't think there will be a Tyreek Hill type player waiting for them in the fifth, and if they nevertheless want to give Josh Allen the same type of supporting cast Patrick Mahomes has, it might be necessary to pull the trigger on a WR at #30.

• Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think Moore will be available at their 2nd pick and may still not be best player available, though would be a candidate.  Who are the best pure slot receivers in the league and where were they drafted?  I’d say guys like Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Cole Beasley and a few others are highly valuable, but not highly valued on draft day.  I haven’t looked I can up, but all of those listed were late picks, if drafted at all.

Cole was an UDFA.

32 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Cole was an UDFA.

Welker was also undrafted and Edelman was a 7th rounder.  I was making the argument that slot receivers aren’t generally drafted high.  Not to say that there aren’t exceptions...  I can’t think of many examples of pure slot receivers being drafted very high and panning out.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

I disagree for a few reasons:  

WR has high positional value and we currently have 2 experienced WRs under contract for next season.  

We are a pass first offense and will continue to be just that for the next decade+.  Diggs is about to be paid 20m a year. We need cheap compliments to him.  A 2nd or 3rd rd Wr is exactly that.  

There may be a boatload of free agent WRs next year, but they won’t be cheap just because of our offense.  Sanders at 34, is making 6M.  The draft picks will cost 1M per year for 4 years. WR is a position that we should have “our guys”, not just whichever FAs wil sign here for cheap.

We lack speed at WR-  there are several burners in this class.  We need one.  

We run 4-5 WR sets more than every team

in the league not named Arizona.  Injuries happen.  We need good depth at the position. 6 GOOD WRs minimum.  

Hodgins isn’t good.....yet.  We have no clue what he is and shouldn’t count on him. He needs to compete for a spot and the ideal position for him, imo, is the PS.  

we should continue to draft WRs

Exceedingly well reasoned.  Succinct.  Culling what should be obvious to us, and presenting it compellingly.  And especially after Josh gets his, how much $$ do we want to tie up in the WR room?  Need O-Line much?

I have been against WR or speedy-RB in round one.

I am now converted.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, glazeduck said:

Kyle Pitts. 

In all seriousness, I don’t think I have *one* guy, Jonathan Adams Jr. might be the closest for me. 

Here’s my thing: of our positions of need, it’s becoming apparent which are deep and which are shallow, so I hope we draft somewhat accordingly:

- RB falls off pretty quick after the first 3 rds

- ditto for cb

- TE depth is nonexistent 

- it looks like there will probably be a few edge guys into the 5th (Kaindoh, Ellerson Smith, Weaver)

- 1T shouldn’t be an early investment 

- plenty of intriguing WRs in the later rounds. 

The more I think about it, the more ok I am with taking Etienne or Harris in the 1st...

There is 0 chance they get up high enough to draft Pitts...he might be the first non QB off the board. So they are going to trade 4 firsts to move up from 30th to 5th? No way. Pipe dream.

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

To what extent are the Bills planning on building around Josh Allen? Because if they are truly, 100% committed to building around him, you want to do as much to set him up for success as the Chiefs have done for Patrick Mahomes. Ideally, you want to surround him with young WRs that can remain with the team for the vast bulk of his career.

Right now he doesn't have WRs like that, except for Gabe Davis. Beasley and Sanders are on the wrong side of 30. Stephon Diggs is under 30, but a few years older than Allen.

They say a WR doesn't truly come into his own until year 3. Going WR at 30 would allow the Bills to bring a player along slowly for his rookie year, then have him step up next year to replace the possibly departing/aging/declining Sanders. At that point you have a young, presumably very good WR who will remain with Allen and the Bills for the next 10+ years.

What kind of silliness is this? "How committed are they to building around Josh Allen?" 

If they aren't all in they should all be fired. 

Might win the most ridiculous thought of the year so far and that takes some doing. They drafted and developed Allen and he would have won MVP if Rodgers didn't have an all time year...but somehow you want to insinuate they might not be "all in"?

Dude...maybe take a break from posting for a few days to clear your head...this is just utter nonsense.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, McBean said:

Look back at my post history and you can find mine!

ELIJAH MOORE WR OLE MISS 

I hope he’s there for us at #30 and Beane wastes no time sending the card in.

Where do I even begin with this kid? I watched every Ole Miss game and he’s the definition of ELECTRIC!

Lane Kiffin has coached at every level and been around some of the best athletes we’ve ever seen. He said that ELIJAH MOORE was the most talented he’s ever coached! Kiffin has been the OC at USC with Reggie Bush, HC of the Raiders, HC at USC, OC at BAMA UNDER SABAN...and he said that MOORE was the best!

Imagining Moore in the slot with Beasley and Diggs makes it a matchup nightmare. We would be the Chiefs on offense if not better.  

Let’s bring Elijah Moore to Buffalo and have our very own version of Tyreek Hill 2.0! 

Who’s your favorite prospect?

Before seeing this I was gonna say Elijah Moore. Kid is a stud, one of the best route runners in this draft, great hands, run after catch... beside his end zone blunder the kid has matured a ton. I’d say he’s the top slot WR in this draft, it’s his natural position. 

With Beasley and Sanders being long in the tooth, a player like Moore could be the future slot guy for Josh.

I think he’s the #4 WR in this draft and Dyami Brown is #5.....

Defense I like Joseph Ossai as a potential 30 pick.

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Have you not watched film on this kid for the last 2 seasons? Seen his stats in the SEC? See his pro day numbers?

#2 in the Nation in receptions.

#2 in the Nation in Yards.

Solid numbers on a mediocre Ole Miss team, mediocre QB, no supporting running game, and no other WRs.

This kid is in round 1 conversation for a reason.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Have you not watched film on this kid for the last 2 seasons? Seen his stats in the SEC? See his pro day numbers?

#2 in the Nation in receptions.

#2 in the Nation in Yards.

Solid numbers on a mediocre Ole Miss team, mediocre QB, no supporting running game, and no other WRs.

This kid is in round 1 conversation for a reason.

Zay Jones was #1 in receptions and set the all time NCAA record along with winning the Billitnekoff award. 

Doesn't mean a lot.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

I was banging the table for Antonio Gibson last year. He was my ONE guy.  I have quite a few this year, but if I had to pick one, I’d go with his old teammate at Memphis, Kenneth Gainwell.  

There are better RBs, but we would have to spend higher picks to draft them.  I think he’s a perfect compliment to Moss.  He might be the best pass catching back in the draft.  Runs great routes, can be used on jet sweeps, in the slot or even split out wide.  He ha unusual burst and acceleration that makes him a threat to take any touch to the house.  For a 195lb back, he runs with good power.  His biggest drawback is his size, which imo, would make him an ideal back in a committee....which seems to be McD’s preferred usage in the backfield.  

If he’s there at the end of rd 3 (yup, another 3rd rd Rb) I hope he’s the pick.  

D’Wayne Eskeridge and Tyler Shelvin would be my next two guys.  

I do like me some D’Wayne Eskeridge and Tyler Shelvin. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.