Draft Sleepers 2021

On 4/14/2021 at 8:51 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

I need somebody to tell me why Khalil Herbert isn’t getting any buzz. @BuffaloHokie13, what’s the deal? @DCOrange, @GunnerBill, @Buffalo716

Running back is just a tough position to play at a high level in the NFL

He has some good traits. 

-smooth runner 

- deceptive speed 

- runs behind his pads 

-sturdy frame 

- finishes runs 

-good ball security 

But his deceptive speed takes a hit at the NFL level.. he is a bit tight in the hips.. so he bends his runs.. preventing him being a true one cut runner 

His pass protection leaves a good amount to be desired , which will keep him off the field on third down.. and when things break down he doesn't have much creativity as a runner

After all of that is said and done it kind of puts him into day 3.. I have a mid 5th round grade on him 

Ideally a backup in a zone running scheme right now.. if he could learn to plant stronger and become a true one cut runner, it will immensely help him at the next level

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 4/16/2021 at 5:03 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

Not seeing anything terribly special in those clips.  Looks like a 5-7th round special teams ace/backup RB who could produce in the right system (Green Bay comes to mind).

Agree. In a pure outside zone scheme I'd spend a 6th or a 7th on him. Otherwise, not for me. He does run well through wide open holes though. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/16/2021 at 5:31 PM, glazeduck said:

Here's the thing about the RB class... It's pretty bad. No, it's just flat-out bad. VERY few of these guys outside of the top 3 are going to amount to much of anything in the pros. Herbert has some decent tape, but also lost out on a starting job to Pooka Williams who's one of many uninspiring RBs in this class... If you can't beat out a classmate who's pretty "meh", what are you?

I do think Herbert's tape has a little interest to it, but the fact is, we're just as likely to get somebody with nearly as much potential as a UDFA as we are drafting Herbert in the 5th. 

Agree. I actually only have 6 guys graded in round 4 or higher. Now undoubtedly because of the volume of backs there is probably a guy here and there I haven't got to yet but comparing it to the last two years I had 12 backs graded 4th round or better in 2020 and 11 backs graded 4th round or better in 2019. 

• Like (+1) 1

I like Michael Strachan.....D-2  Charleston  WR 6'5

Born in the Bahamas...so hasn't played alot of football....one of the things I want to see about an athlete like him playing D-2 is that he dominated lesser competition..and he did.  big catch radius....can high point....does a good job of getting under deep throws....

....as you can see in the highlights...he dominated a bunch of smurf corners...so I would imagine he'd need some time to develop and get used to much more sizable dudes covering him...but you asked for a sleeper...this is a sleeper.

• Agree 2

On 4/18/2021 at 1:26 AM, Buffalo716 said:

Running back is just a tough position to play at a high level in the NFL

He has some good traits. 

-smooth runner 

- deceptive speed 

- runs behind his pads 

-sturdy frame 

- finishes runs 

-good ball security 

But his deceptive speed takes a hit at the NFL level.. he is a bit tight in the hips.. so he bends his runs.. preventing him being a true one cut runner 

His pass protection leaves a good amount to be desired , which will keep him off the field on third down.. and when things break down he doesn't have much creativity as a runner

After all of that is said and done it kind of puts him into day 3.. I have a mid 5th round grade on him 

Ideally a backup in a zone running scheme right now.. if he could learn to plant stronger and become a true one cut runner, it will immensely help him at the next level

The more I watch Herbert, the more I see MJD. A little powerful guy with sub 4.5 speed. Runs through arm tackles. Sets up his blocks well. Runs a great screen game. Also contributes on special teams. I’d definitely use my 5th round pick on him. 

These are his highlights from last season alone.

4 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The more I watch Herbert, the more I see MJD. A little powerful guy with sub 4.5 speed. Runs through arm tackles. Sets up his blocks well. Runs a great screen game. Also contributes on special teams. I’d definitely use my 5th round pick on him. 

These are his highlights from last season alone.

Again, he looks pretty ordinary.  Most of the time he's running through wide-open holes in those clips.  His ceiling is maybe a Michael Turner.

12 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Again, he looks pretty ordinary.  Most of the time he's running through wide-open holes in those clips.  His ceiling is maybe a Michael Turner.

I’d attribute some of those holes to his vision. I’d ask if Motor had those same holes would he hit home those same runs? Would Motor run through the arm tackles? Or have the contact balance shown? Not saying he’s a 1st rd talent, but he could be an upgrade over what the Bills have currently 

Just now, djp14150 said:

I’ll probably be asleep when the Bills draft.....

Me too. I’m usually done after 10 pm. Lol

Just going to throw Kentucky center Drake Jackson into the ring, as well. If he can land in an good spot, where he's able to spend a year as a backup or on the practice squad, and add a little more functional strength, I think he's got the potential to be a decent starter down the line.

Technically superb, extremely poised, high football IQ. Just a little bit limited athletically and in terms of length.

• Agree 1

On 4/22/2021 at 2:13 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

I’d attribute some of those holes to his vision. I’d ask if Motor had those same holes would he hit home those same runs? Would Motor run through the arm tackles? Or have the contact balance shown? Not saying he’s a 1st rd talent, but he could be an upgrade over what the Bills have currently 

Me too. I’m usually done after 10 pm. Lol

I don’t know, but you go back and watch Motor in college and he was near the top in missed and broken tackles.  So my guess is yes - in college he probably could of hit those holes and run through college level arm tackles. 

I don’t know that he gets all the yards, but I think he powers on through some of it.

Edited by Rochesterfan