Draft Sleepers 2021

We are less than a month away from the 2021 NFL Draft so in one of my annual traditions here is a thread highlighting a few "sleepers." This is mainly guys who are going to go day 3 or as UDFAs but who I think have a chance to be contributors in the NFL. 

Benjamin St-Juste, Cornerback, Minnesota

4th round grade

I think the last couple of weeks the draft media seems to have cottoned onto St-Juste, but I suspect teams have had him on their radar for longer. He is a perfect fit in zone heavy cover 3 type teams (such as the Bills). He has excellent length and good instincts and zone discipline. He is a good tackler, though can still tidy that technique up and the knock on his tape was speed, but the 4.51 he clocked at his pro day 40 was probably faster than most expected him to run and as such he probably is more of an early day 3 guy than a later day 3 guy.

Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Wide Receiver, Iowa

5th round grade

This is a boom or bust type prospect and there are some injury and off-field questions to consider. On the field his production at Iowa has been relatively pedestrian for his talent level but his tape shows some of the agility and explosion that you need to win in the NFL and the production issue is as much a result of bad Quarterback play as anything else. I think he projects best as a Z receiver in the NFL who can be used as a bit of a gadget guy on sweeps and end arounds as well as running downfield routes. Also has experience as a returner.

Jaylen Twyman, Defensive Tackle, Pittsburgh

5th round grade

Twyman is a smaller interior pass rusher in the Ed Oliver mould. He won't be a fit for every scheme but as an end in a 3-4 or a 4-3 that utilises a smaller 3 tech he could be a contributor. Opted out in 2020 which probably affects his grade but he logged 10.5 sacks and 12 tackles for loss in 2019. 

Cole Van Lanen, Offensive Tackle, Wisconsin

6th/7th round grade

Van Lanen is a typical Wisconsin offensive lineman. He is a big, powerful, road grader. He did struggle at times with speedier rushers mainly because his technique lets him down at times and he tends to overbalance. That said, for a team still looking for a developmental option at tackle late in the draft he makes a lot of sense. 

Kylen Granson, Tight End, SMU

6th / 7th round grade

Granson started as a wide receiver at Rice before transferring to SMU where he caught 14 touchdowns in two seasons from the tight end position. I say the tight end position.... Granson doesn't really have a position. He is a H-back type who you use as a bit of a swiss army knife. He isn't going to be an in line blocker in the traditional sense but he can play as an extra blocker in the backfield who leaks out or as a tight end or even slot receiver. A creative offensive coordinator can definitely turn him into an NFL contributor.

Austin Watkins, Wide Receiver, UAB

6th / 7th round grade

As a junior Watkins tore up Conference USA with over 1,000 yards and 6 touchdowns for UAB. While he didn't quite match that relative pace in the shortened 2020 season he remains an intriguing option as a developmental vertical threat receiver. At 6'3, 210lbs he offers good size and strength the question is his speed. He looks fast enough but his speed is a bit one paced and that initial acceleration or burst is missing. Can't find any evidence of a 40 time at this stage but if he could run sub 4.50 then I think he will creep into the earlier stages of day 3.

Dicaprio Bootle, Cornerback, Nebraska

6th / 7th round grade

The guy with the best name in the draft, mixing Hollywood legend with Liverpool suburb. I like Bootle as a nickel corner prospect. He demonstrates great aggression, has decent speed (he ran mid 4.4s at his pro day) and plays with an edge about him. Always seems to be around the ball.... I like him as a possibility for the Bills who almost certainly won't pay Taron Johnson who is an UDFA after the 2021 season. 

Chris Brown, Safety, Texas

6th / 7th round grade

A developmental safety who is a sound tackler and a can match up in coverage situations. However, his real unique selling point as an NFL prospect is as a blitzer where he has a real natural feel and timing for how and when to blitz. Needs development in terms of some of his zone awareness and his ball skills are only average but he can carve out a career as special teamer and rotational safety. 

Thoughts on these guys or any other day 3 or UDFA types who posters think have a chance to succeed. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 9

I'm all about Ihmir Smith-Marsette in the 5th range. Love his downfield skillset and return plus, and I'm absolutely fine if he only see's 25 targets this year and just learns from the room. He looks a bit like a bigger, slightly slower John Brown to me. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Welp, that does it.

Dicaprio Bootle is my favorite name in this year’s draft. I thought it was Racey McMath (stupid autocorrect) , but nope. Bootle wins it.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

When watching Patrick Jones tape, Twyman stood out as a disrupting pocket pushing penetrator. 40 reps at 225 too.  Impressive.  For a later rd guy, he could be a nice add.  While we already have quite a few 3T, I don’t see any as long term backups for oliver.  

You don’t think there’s any chance the Bills resign Taron Johnson?  I had the same thought about halfway through last season, but thought he stepped up his game the rest of the season.  Looking at the $ top slot corners are getting (other than Mike Hilton 4yr- 24M) most of the top slot corners are getting 2-4M, you don’t think we’d pay him 2-4M per year?  I suppose that really depends on his play this season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You don’t think there’s any chance the Bills resign Taron Johnson?  I had the same thought about halfway through last season, but thought he stepped up his game the rest of the season.  Looking at the $ top slot corners are getting (other than Mike Hilton 4yr- 24M) most of the top slot corners are getting 2-4M, you don’t think we’d pay him 2-4M per year?  I suppose that really depends on his play this season

I think a slight chance... but I think as the team becomes more top heavy slot corner is a spot where they will cycle through 4 year rookie deals.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think a slight chance... but I think as the team becomes more top heavy slot corner is a spot where they will cycle through 4 year rookie deals.

Yeah, makes sense.  Slot seems similar to RB nowadays.  A bit strange to me considering how much slot corners play in today’s game. It’s basically a base D (in our d more specifically) and they have to be solid vs the run or they’re a liability.   I’d really like to see more consistency out of him this season

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Welp, that does it.

Dicaprio Bootle is my favorite name in this year’s draft. I thought it was Racey McMath (stupid autocorrect) , but nope. Bootle wins it.

Brodarious Hamm should be in next year's class. I've already adopted him for my name team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

BIG BIG fan of St. Juste, for most of his college career he was coached up by Rod Chance who’s one of the best teachers in college ball. Fold in his size and relative athleticism for that size and I think you’ve got a longtime starter in the league. Probably not my 1a choice for our 3rd rd pick but I’d be very happy taking him there if we hadn’t already taken a cb. 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Welp, that does it.

WOW just Wow!!! I thought you were joking but that is a real name 😂. It’s getting very comical.  😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

I have a few under the radar guys who could be steals in round 5 and beyond.

Simi Fehoko WR, Stanford. 6'4", 222lbs. 4.37 40. Similar college production as DK Metcalf. None of the draft hype. He's a legit deep threat and a big possession receiver. 

Deon Jackson, RB, Duke. 5' 11", 220 lbs. 4.39 40. Good power back, good hands. Has the speed to get outside. One cut north / south runner. 

Kyrsis Tonga, NT, BYU. Big powerful 1 tech. Can penetrate one on one, but will occupy double teams to keep lineman off of our LBs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jaret Patterson, running back, University of Buffalo.....

Going to drop because of his size into the late rounds, going to continue to be a baller when he gets his chance.

• Like (+1) 5

26 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Simi Fehoko WR, Stanford. 6'4", 222lbs. 4.37 40. Similar college production as DK Metcalf. None of the draft hype. He's a legit deep threat and a big possession receiver. 

Kyrsis Tonga, NT, BYU. Big powerful 1 tech. Can penetrate one on one, but will occupy double teams to keep lineman off of our LBs. 

Two potential Key & Peele All-Stars....

20 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Josh Imatorbhebhe WR Illinois 

First team Key & Peele All-Star...

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Deon Jackson, RB, Duke. 5' 11", 220 lbs. 4.39 40. Good power back, good hands. Has the speed to get outside. One cut north / south runner. 

Simi Fehoko is NOT a 4.37 guy in pads. He’s not even a 4.57 guy in pads. Seen him play a lot, he’s not an nfl WR. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't be shocked to see Dane Jackson in the running for NCB after this year if we don't keep TJ. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We are less than a month away from the 2021 NFL Draft so in one of my annual traditions here is a thread highlighting a few "sleepers." This is mainly guys who are going to go day 3 or as UDFAs but who I think have a chance to be contributors in the NFL. 

Benjamin St-Juste, Cornerback, Minnesota

4th round grade

I think the last couple of weeks the draft media seems to have cottoned onto St-Juste, but I suspect teams have had him on their radar for longer. He is a perfect fit in zone heavy cover 3 type teams (such as the Bills). He has excellent length and good instincts and zone discipline. He is a good tackler, though can still tidy that technique up and the knock on his tape was speed, but the 4.51 he clocked at his pro day 40 was probably faster than most expected him to run and as such he probably is more of an early day 3 guy than a later day 3 guy.

Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Wide Receiver, Iowa

5th round grade

This is a boom or bust type prospect and there are some injury and off-field questions to consider. On the field his production at Iowa has been relatively pedestrian for his talent level but his tape shows some of the agility and explosion that you need to win in the NFL and the production issue is as much a result of bad Quarterback play as anything else. I think he projects best as a Z receiver in the NFL who can be used as a bit of a gadget guy on sweeps and end arounds as well as running downfield routes. Also has experience as a returner.

Jaylen Twyman, Defensive Tackle, Pittsburgh

5th round grade

Twyman is a smaller interior pass rusher in the Ed Oliver mould. He won't be a fit for every scheme but as an end in a 3-4 or a 4-3 that utilises a smaller 3 tech he could be a contributor. Opted out in 2020 which probably affects his grade but he logged 10.5 sacks and 12 tackles for loss in 2019. 

Cole Van Lanen, Offensive Tackle, Wisconsin

6th/7th round grade

Van Lanen is a typical Wisconsin offensive lineman. He is a big, powerful, road grader. He did struggle at times with speedier rushers mainly because his technique lets him down at times and he tends to overbalance. That said, for a team still looking for a developmental option at tackle late in the draft he makes a lot of sense. 

Kylen Granson, Tight End, SMU

6th / 7th round grade

Granson started as a wide receiver at Rice before transferring to SMU where he caught 14 touchdowns in two seasons from the tight end position. I say the tight end position.... Granson doesn't really have a position. He is a H-back type who you use as a bit of a swiss army knife. He isn't going to be an in line blocker in the traditional sense but he can play as an extra blocker in the backfield who leaks out or as a tight end or even slot receiver. A creative offensive coordinator can definitely turn him into an NFL contributor.

Austin Watkins, Wide Receiver, UAB

6th / 7th round grade

As a junior Watkins tore up Conference USA with over 1,000 yards and 6 touchdowns for UAB. While he didn't quite match that relative pace in the shortened 2020 season he remains an intriguing option as a developmental vertical threat receiver. At 6'3, 210lbs he offers good size and strength the question is his speed. He looks fast enough but his speed is a bit one paced and that initial acceleration or burst is missing. Can't find any evidence of a 40 time at this stage but if he could run sub 4.50 then I think he will creep into the earlier stages of day 3.

Dicaprio Bootle, Cornerback, Nebraska

6th / 7th round grade

The guy with the best name in the draft, mixing Hollywood legend with Liverpool suburb. I like Bootle as a nickel corner prospect. He demonstrates great aggression, has decent speed (he ran mid 4.4s at his pro day) and plays with an edge about him. Always seems to be around the ball.... I like him as a possibility for the Bills who almost certainly won't pay Taron Johnson who is an UDFA after the 2021 season. 

Chris Brown, Safety, Texas

6th / 7th round grade

A developmental safety who is a sound tackler and a can match up in coverage situations. However, his real unique selling point as an NFL prospect is as a blitzer where he has a real natural feel and timing for how and when to blitz. Needs development in terms of some of his zone awareness and his ball skills are only average but he can carve out a career as special teamer and rotational safety. 

Thoughts on these guys or any other day 3 or UDFA types who posters think have a chance to succeed. 

I like the 3 namers a lot in those round ranges.

Austin Watkins is smooooooth..........it's guys like him that make me not want to see the Bills lose the draft at WR by over drafting a guy early.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, glazeduck said:

Simi Fehoko is NOT a 4.37 guy in pads. He’s not even a 4.57 guy in pads. Seen him play a lot, he’s not an nfl WR. 

He looks pretty slow in highlights I've seen. Maybe he has "get up speed" where his long strides can get him down field quick on a clean break, but I don't see the beating off the line speed needed to create seperation in the league. 

Cade Johnson is an interesting SWR option. Looks like a tough guy who loves to get dirty in the middle of the field. 

Draft Network compared him to Doug Baldwin, and Jim Nagy at the Senior Bowl loves him.

Also, Pooka Williams has a skill set that I could get behind:

Speed and catching out of the backfield. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1