Anyone ever treat a dog for heartworms?

Royale with Cheese

So my dog just got it which is a major surprise because I haven’t skipped any preventative heartguard pills.

I adopted her last year and her adoption paperwork was heartworm negative.  However, I learned dogs can test negative even after exposure because the parasite is still in the skin and hasn’t traveled to the heart yet.

She's not showing any symptoms and energy is still extremely high.

The vet gave me a fast kill and slow kill method.  
Fast kill is a series of shots over about 3-4 months that will eliminate the worms.  Cost is roughly $1,500.

Slow kill is pills and it doesn’t eliminate the worm, it just keeps it from replicating and shortens the life of the worms.  Even though its slowly killing them, the worms can still cause damage before they die.  18-24 months treatment.  About $400-$500.

My dog has insane amount of energy.  In the fast kill, I would need to restrict her exercise.  Restriction because as the shots start killing the worms, the dead worm can cause a block in the artery or lungs.  You need to rest and wait for the dead worm to dissolve into the bloodstream.

Slow kill as long as its early stages, she can exercise regularly.  

It’s going to be impossible to control her energy.  If its been multiple days without a good workout, she gets zoomies a ton.  She will just start running randomly.

Have you guys went through this?

Sorry to hear your dog's diagnosis. Neither solution sounds great. I never had to got through this with any of my dogs but there are quite a few dog people in here, maybe they have ideas.

Hoping for a speedy recovery as possible.

So the news as of this weekend sounds positive so far.

Since she’s asymptomatic, the vet believes it’s not bad right now.  I have been giving her her heartguard pill every month for a year, I basically started the slow kill process already.  They probably haven’t replicated and just kill of the remaining.  The antibiotics hopefully will get her to test negative in about 8-9 months.

Usually when the worms have multiplied, the dog gets very sick.

I was going to get a tattoo but that money will go towards the dog.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.