Should Derek Chauvin go to prison for what he did?

Shoul he go to prison   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should he go to prison

• Yes
    • No

35 minutes ago, Irv said:

I voted yes.  But why didn't the dude just comply?   He'd be alive.  Brought in on himself dealing with a whacko LEO.   Same with all of these other losers who have been killed by the cops.  Just do what the cop says.  Pretty simple. 

For 9 min and 10 seconds he did comply. 

Sitting on his legs would have controlled the situation. Sit on his lower back. Cuff his legs and walk away. Where is he going to roll to. 

The issue is the hate, the teaching of total dominance, inflicting of pain, the feeling of I got you this time you SOB. 

Have you ever passed a counterfeit $20 without knowing it. I have, and was question by the police about where it came from. No push into squad car by 4 cops. No cuffs. No cursing or accusation. 

How the heck did society get to this spot. Btw, not blaming just Chauvin, but how did we get here.

2 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Sitting on his legs would have controlled the situation. Sit on his lower back. Cuff his legs and walk away. Where is he going to roll to. 

The issue is the hate, the teaching of total dominance, inflicting of pain, the feeling of I got you this time you SOB. 

Have you ever passed a counterfeit $20 without knowing it. I have, and was question by the police about where it came from. No push into squad car by 4 cops. No cuffs. No cursing or accusation. 

How the heck did society get to this spot. Btw, not blaming just Chauvin, but how did we get here.

I'm with you on this he did comply. With you on all of this.  Bad people or crazy people do bad hurt to crazy things to hurt people. It's wrong. I'm all for the good to help people become better themselves. For good helpful things for others. And other stuff. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, T master said:

Agree'd ! There are a lot of things that can be learned on both sides of this tragedy if we are willing to look at them straight on . The way Chauvin went about the arrest after Floyd was in cuffs should be a learning video on what NOT to do in police training .

Then there is the other side but let me say bad guys don't seem to learn or want to learn any thing from past behavior because they are bad guys .

First & fore most don't commit a crime . Second if you have committed a crime and a man with a gun, taser, dog or other reinforcements are around don't be belligerent, don't be combative, don't resist in any way, don't run and remember the cop is only doing his job & wouldn't be there if it weren't for your actions .

Oh and if you have committed a crime or crimes prior to being pulled over it's all on you no one made you do it but you & your decision making put your future motivation into something other than being a repeat criminal & life will be much better for all concerned and the earth will be a better place !!  

Maybe that’s the issue. You say don’t commit a crime while the left say don’t murder a person. We have a system of justice in place that decides that. Why should cops? They know who committed the alleged crime. Why not back away let them flee and pick them up at a later time where they don’t have to kill the person?

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

Maybe that’s the issue. You say don’t commit a crime while the left say don’t murder a person. We have a system of justice in place that decides that. Why should cops? They know who committed the alleged crime. Why not back away let them flee and pick them up at a later time where they don’t have to kill the person?

What if they have a gun or like the little girl that had the knife & was going to stab the other girl then what ? Just asking ...

Or if they assault a police officer then the cop just beat the breaks off of them then it's police brutality they will have all angles covered so no matter what a cop does they will be in the end the bad guy !

There has to be a certain amount of respect and that's the thing bad guys have none not for their mom, dad or any one so a cop isn't going to get any either and most of the blame is probably on the parents for not enforcing rules and teaching respect for others & consequences to your actions  .

If you say to let them go then how many times do you just let them run you know their not going to stop running if you let them go every time & then if they are a repeat or a career criminal that just continually gets in trouble then what ? 

18 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

I’m not saying it’s right. As a matter of fact taking justice in their own hands is absolutely wrong.  However imagine seeing the same people you’ve busted over and over again still out committing the crimes they’ve been busted over and over for. It has to get real frustrating. 

38 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I’m not saying it’s right. As a matter of fact taking justice in their own hands is absolutely wrong.  However imagine seeing the same people you’ve busted over and over again still out committing the crimes they’ve been busted over and over for. It has to get real frustrating. 

so murder them?

6 hours ago, T master said:

What if they have a gun or like the little girl that had the knife & was going to stab the other girl then what ? Just asking ...

Or if they assault a police officer then the cop just beat the breaks off of them then it's police brutality they will have all angles covered so no matter what a cop does they will be in the end the bad guy !

There has to be a certain amount of respect and that's the thing bad guys have none not for their mom, dad or any one so a cop isn't going to get any either and most of the blame is probably on the parents for not enforcing rules and teaching respect for others & consequences to your actions  .

If you say to let them go then how many times do you just let them run you know their not going to stop running if you let them go every time & then if they are a repeat or a career criminal that just continually gets in trouble then what ? 

There's certainly no easy answers to real time life or death situations.   The thing about that Columbus girl I keep wondering is, did they have to pump 4 slugs into her?  Couldn't they have tried one or two?  I get the situation and support the police decision on the necessity of lethal force in that situation, but was that many shots truly necessary?  Maybe with one or two she recovers.

George Floyd.  He allowed himself to be cuffed.  He started freaking out about going in the back of the car, he wasn't directly assaulting or attacking the cops, just resisting their efforts.  Not even one of them attempted to de-escalate the situation, back off on forcing Floyd, talk to him, exchange names, humanize the situation and give him the chance to calm down while working through needing to get him in the vehicle.

The many good officers we are blessed with understand humanizing and de-escalating the situation then asserting authority, bad cops enjoy blindly forcing the situation under their authority.  More thorough training and reassessing police protocols is needed.

Then you've got jackass Lebron jumping to conclusions, demanding accountability while displaying zero for his own mistakes.

We need our media (right and left) to acknowledge the gravity of the issue and find the integrity to publish all the facts, not just the ones that support a certain narrative.

It's a mess and I hope everyone that wants to judge these situations do their very best to discover all the facts out there.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/24/2021 at 3:04 PM, Niagara Bill said:

On your personal example of counterfeiting, did you happen to be a multiple time convict and felon who was convicted with armed robbery and assault of a pregnant woman and also high on meth and fentanyl? 

I mean Chauvin is garbage and has 30-40 years in a cell rightfully coming, but Floyd wasn’t Muhatma Ghandi here. Imagine how that woman that was robbed and assaulted at gun point by him feels seem him martyred. 

10 hours ago, T master said:

Being a Police Officer is tough they have to essentially be the avatar of our country's laws, you can't enforce them while breaking them. So they have to be held to a higher standard, have to use sufficient force and allow the judicial system to punish them not do it themselves.

8 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

That has to be frustrating but I'd say that a large part of that is our very punitive focused prison system.

57 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

On your personal example of counterfeiting, did you happen to be a multiple time convict and felon who was convicted with armed robbery and assault of a pregnant woman and also high on meth and fentanyl? 

I mean Chauvin is garbage and has 30-40 years in a cell rightfully coming, but Floyd wasn’t Muhatma Ghandi here. Imagine how that woman that was robbed and assaulted at gun point by him feels seem him martyred. 

He essentially became a symbol for a movement based for what happened to him not who he was as a person.

14 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

The girl with the knife incident shows many of the frustrating points of society issues.

1. Why shoot her 4 times???. Wow was that necessary?

2. Why does the media not ask her family and friends what this darling, loveable, funny, trustworthy, good to her moma girl doing running around with a knife at a house party in the afternoon.

3. Who was that likeable, great, sincere, happy, smiling guy who kicked a girl lying on the ground. He is a snake. 

These are all societal problems that must be solved concurrently. Take the cop shooting out of the picture and you have a 16 year old girl, stabbing another young girl, a guy kicking the poop out of a girl laying on the ground, all of this on a Sat afternoon party supervised by loving parents?😒

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, T master said:

There has to be a certain amount of respect and that's the thing bad guys have none not for their mom, dad or any one so a cop isn't going to get any either and most of the blame is probably on the parents for not enforcing rules and teaching respect for others & consequences to your actions  .

That’s plural. Highly unlikely.  

1 hour ago, Niagara Bill said:

The girl with the knife incident shows many of the frustrating points of society issues.

2. Why does the media not ask her family and friends what this darling, loveable, funny, trustworthy, good to her moma girl doing running around with a knife at a house party in the afternoon.

3. Who was that likeable, great, sincere, happy, smiling guy who kicked a girl lying on the ground. He is a snake. 

These are all societal problems that must be solved concurrently. Take the cop shooting out of the picture and you have a 16 year old girl, stabbing another young girl, a guy kicking the poop out of a girl laying on the ground, all of this on a Sat afternoon party supervised by loving parents?😒

You want to solve anger and hate?  You don’t know much about human behavior and emotions do you?  

You REALLY want to solve all of this? Here’s a hint...when the police show up it’s ‘party over’, stop committing the crime, stop compounding it by resisting arrest or leading them on a hour long chase. Everyone gets to go home safe and uninjured. Done!

She was actually living in a foster home, not with her distraught loving parents now suing for damages. 

I wonder if they commissioned a study of how many police shooting victims, who were in the act of committing a crime, of all races grew up in intact two parent households what they’d learn. 

As you say there all multiple problems. 

want to call it systemic excessive police force? Ok

the second is endemic crime

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You REALLY want to solve all of this? Here’s a hint...when the police show up it’s ‘party over’, stop committing the crime, stop compounding it by resisting arrest or leading them on a hour long chase. Everyone gets to go home safe and uninjured. Done!

Or.... just follow me here... this will be a leap for you I know... but... what if we didn’t have cops that murder people? Whoa! Yea totally off the wall idea but I’m just saying what if.

He shoots 4 times to neutralize a threat.  The threat in this case was a person trying to end the life of another person.  

Are you advocating one shot to the skull?  Maybe catch the edge to the stabbing arm?  Or the hand, the one holding the knife, sorta in the range of the other girls face and neck?  

To answer your question about whether or not it was necessary, I think she made it necessary to act with haste and resolve to end the threat she posed, and there is not much more to say than that.  

Stepping back from the need to act in haste with resolve to end the threat, there are many things we  can talk about as it relates to society, upbringing, mental health, the other individuals who didn’t assist or exacerbated the  situation.  We can certainly talk about the future of policing, sending social workers in to defuse these situations and the quest for some version of non-lethal force that would thread the needle between victim rights and the rights of people trying to stab the life out of another.   

Monday morning quarterbacking the decisions by the officer in something as obvious as this does nothing for the greater or good. The best course of action for him personally would be to do nothing and let things play out.  Maybe the girl is wounded but does not bleed out.  Maybe she wrestles the knife from the other lady.  

Sometimes people die because their actions just are not reasonable.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

People behave badly. That's usually when cops get called. Of course there will be incidents 

13 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

There's certainly no easy answers to real time life or death situations.   The thing about that Columbus girl I keep wondering is, did they have to pump 4 slugs into her?  Couldn't they have tried one or two?  I get the situation and support the police decision on the necessity of lethal force in that situation, but was that many shots truly necessary?  Maybe with one or two she recovers.

George Floyd.  He allowed himself to be cuffed.  He started freaking out about going in the back of the car, he wasn't directly assaulting or attacking the cops, just resisting their efforts.  Not even one of them attempted to de-escalate the situation, back off on forcing Floyd, talk to him, exchange names, humanize the situation and give him the chance to calm down while working through needing to get him in the vehicle.

The many good officers we are blessed with understand humanizing and de-escalating the situation then asserting authority, bad cops enjoy blindly forcing the situation under their authority.  More thorough training and reassessing police protocols is needed.

Then you've got jackass Lebron jumping to conclusions, demanding accountability while displaying zero for his own mistakes.

We need our media (right and left) to acknowledge the gravity of the issue and find the integrity to publish all the facts, not just the ones that support a certain narrative.

It's a mess and I hope everyone that wants to judge these situations do their very best to discover all the facts out there.

they fire until the threat is neutralized.  i know we all watch these movies where it's one shot one kill but that's not reality.  the girl fortunately or unfortunately likely didn't feel anything depending on how you look at it  fortunate in that she hopefully didn't feel anything and unfortunate in that if had she felt something she could have stopped.   The cop had no idea where or even if he hit her with how fast it happened.