Should Derek Chauvin go to prison for what he did?

Shoul he go to prison   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should he go to prison

• Yes
    • No

6 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

Yea, it should be manslaughter or maybe 3rd degree murder.  None of the other officers with him that day should be criminally liable though.  

I’m trying to understand the difference between 3rd degree and manslaughter. 

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He will die in jail. That dude ain’t going no place but the big house for a long time, most likely the rest of his life. 

For the rest of his life??

So are you saying he’s going to be murdered in prison?  How do you plan to celebrate this?  

10 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I’m trying to understand the difference between 3rd degree and manslaughter. 

So each crime usually has a different level of culpability associated with it.  And separately, each crime also has specific circumstances tied to it.

1st degree murder - intentional and premeditated (and then specific circumstances is just killing a cop)

2nd degree murder - intentional but not premeditated 

3rd degree murder - not intentional, but you were knowingly doing something so reckless it was a conscious disregard for human life

1st degree manslaughter - intentional murder but with understandable circumstances, like heat of passion (catching your wife cheating)

2nd degree manslaughter - basically negligence 

each has some very specific circumstances, but I only listed it for the first murder.

my thoughts.  2nd degree manslaughter is the most appropriate, and is the most common for stuff like this.  But you could shoehorn it into 3rd degree murder.  I expect 2nd degree murder just because.  Not really appropriate though

Edited by Crayola64

29 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

So each crime usually has a different level of culpability associated with it.  And separately, each crime also has specific circumstances tied to it.

1st degree murder - intentional and premeditated (and then specific circumstances is just killing a cop)

2nd degree murder - intentional but not premeditated 

3rd degree murder - not intentional, but you were knowingly doing something so reckless it was a conscious disregard for human life

1st degree manslaughter - intentional murder but with understandable circumstances, like heat of passion (catching your wife cheating)

2nd degree manslaughter - basically negligence 

each has some very specific circumstances, but I only listed it for the first murder.

my thoughts.  2nd degree manslaughter is the most appropriate, and is the most common for stuff like this.  But you could shoehorn it into 3rd degree murder.  I expect 2nd degree murder just because.  Not really appropriate though

I’d suspect 3rd degree murder. Chauvin knew better, was trained not to do that, knew it restricted Floyd’s breathing, heard him begging for his life and yet kept him down like that. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

I’d suspect 3rd degree murder. Chauvin knew better, was trained not to do that, knew it restricted Floyd’s breathing, heard him begging for his life and yet kept him down like that. 

Because he really didn’t like him not because he wanted him  dead IMO.  He let his emotions get in the way and he will likely pay dearly for it.  Human emotions ***** up so much of our lives from poor investment decisions to marital infidelity to killing someone.  We are emotional beings. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Because he really didn’t like him not because he wanted him  dead IMO.  He let his emotions get in the way and he will likely pay dearly for it.  Human emotions ***** up so much of our lives from poor investment decisions to marital infidelity to killing someone.  We are emotional beings. 

Bad luck for both Chauvin and Floyd.

There are lessons here: don't be a dick and don't let your power go to your head.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 9:40 AM, Gene Frenkle said:

Bad luck for both Chauvin and Floyd.

There are lessons here: don't be a dick and don't let your power go to your head.

Agree'd ! There are a lot of things that can be learned on both sides of this tragedy if we are willing to look at them straight on . The way Chauvin went about the arrest after Floyd was in cuffs should be a learning video on what NOT to do in police training .

Then there is the other side but let me say bad guys don't seem to learn or want to learn any thing from past behavior because they are bad guys .

First & fore most don't commit a crime . Second if you have committed a crime and a man with a gun, taser, dog or other reinforcements are around don't be belligerent, don't be combative, don't resist in any way, don't run and remember the cop is only doing his job & wouldn't be there if it weren't for your actions .

Oh and if you have committed a crime or crimes prior to being pulled over it's all on you no one made you do it but you & your decision making put your future motivation into something other than being a repeat criminal & life will be much better for all concerned and the earth will be a better place !!  

On 4/3/2021 at 8:21 AM, Tiberius said:

He will die in jail. That dude ain’t going no place but the big house for a long time, most likely the rest of his life. 

You know there is a part if me who thinks the city , the police powers and training, the push for macho, the blue code, the military training, the style of weapons provided, the police union all played a part on making of the present Derek Chauvin. Not suggesting he is not responsible, but others created the culture that fostered him. Like the fighter in hockey,  the cheap shot defensive back, the Suh of the d line. Nurtured to be violent. Nurtured to hate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I voted yes.  But why didn't the dude just comply?   He'd be alive.  Brought in on himself dealing with a whacko LEO.   Same with all of these other losers who have been killed by the cops.  Just do what the cop says.  Pretty simple. 

Edited by Irv