Could Cody Ford be the key to the offense improving this year?

DCofNC

On 4/2/2021 at 9:40 PM, thenorthremembers said:

The only thing that matters is if Josh can either repeat last year or get better. 

(Sorry if others have replied to this post already; I'm reading through the thread in order 27 hours later because I work too much.)

Anyways, I'm sure you realize that there are 10 other Bills on the field with Allen on every play, and coaches calling plays for them...so the QB's success can be greatly helped or hindered by myriad factors. 

You're not wrong in boiling it down to Josh Allen's production. It's just that personnel decisions, play-calling, and the on-field execution of his teammates--within the scope of the specific plays, packages, and situations--HEAVILY influence "his" results. 

Football is the ultimate team sport. SO many interrelated moving parts on every play.

• Like (+1) 2

I seem to remember film analysis on a youtube channel (maybe Cover-1?) of our running game woes in the early part of 2020 when Ford was still in at LG, with much of the blame assigned specifically to the guards. I think Winters was in at RG for most of it (due to Mongo's injury). Before being injured, Ford was having serious issues executing the scheme, If I'm remembering accurately. 

For him to suddenly be an average or above average NFL guard would be a major boost to the Bills offense. He has yet to be that. Here's to hoping he takes a BIG step forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I seem to remember film analysis on a youtube channel (maybe Cover-1?) of our running game woes in the early part of 2020 when Ford was still in at LG, with much of the blame assigned specifically to the guards. I think Winters was in at RG for most of it (due to Mongo's injury). Before being injured, Ford was having serious issues executing the scheme, If I'm remembering accurately. 

For him to suddenly be an average or above average NFL guard would be a major boost to the Bills offense. He has yet to be that. Here's to hoping he takes a BIG step forward.

I remember that film analysis as well. They showed Ford getting beaten on a number of running plays, thereby spoiling the plays. He wasn't the only culprit, but he was one of the most prominent.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/2/2021 at 10:53 PM, Maybe Someday said:

Having Ford back healthy will surly help but offense wasn’t as much of an issue until all of our WRs had to play through injuries. 

If our D line can’t put any pressure on the QB then we’ll have a hard time beating KC. I really hope AJ can make an impact this year. 

D line hasn't improved. It will be our Achilles heel. Against good teams we will continue to get pushed all over the field in the run game and routinely give up 3rd and long while our rush can't get it done. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Last year Brady had the best skilled talent surrounding him in his career and needed it.  Russell Wilson's public spat prompted Seattle to re-sign Tyler Lockett despite Metcalf set to cash in big soon.  KC, as you note, is pursuing elite athletes who create matchup disadvantages and Buffalo had better get on board soon. 

Yet, McD and Beane seem comfortable running very similar personnel and schemes in hopes it'll finally defeat KC or the elite teams.  There's still the emphasis on rounding out their defense to run McD's inflexible scheme.    Maybe they draft a WR who can fly and present the deep threat missing, but that's a moderate gamble in a rookie to do so.  

Doing the same old conservative things and not surrounding your QB with elite talent is gonna sink some teams before seasons even begin.  This year it might become obvious that the offense needs an injection of more skill than what some think is already above-average.      

Stefon Diggs is without a doubt an elite talent. It’s not even arguable. He has literally been one of the most uncoversble receivers in the league a few years running, and the advance stats prove it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Stefon Diggs is without a doubt an elite talent. It’s not even arguable. He has literally been one of the most uncoversble receivers in the league a few years running, and the advance stats prove it.

The usual suspects will try to demand otherwise but as great as Diggs is at shaking coverage...........he becomes mortal after he catches the ball.    The Bills do not have that other kind of guy.   Obviously,  with the emphasis so many fans have on waterbugs in this draft,   most at least realize that they could use a game breaker opposite Diggs.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

Coming out he was one of the top guards with OT ability.  Imo Felicano and Ford a guard gives the Oline a nastyness to the run game.  They didnt get to see what the run game looks like with Mongo and Ford pulling and knocking heads.  Sounds bad with how people remember him at OT.  Ford at guard could be a linch pin in the oline.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The usual suspects will try to demand otherwise but as great as Diggs is at shaking coverage...........he becomes mortal after he catches the ball.    The Bills do not have that other kind of guy.   Obviously,  with the emphasis so many fans have on waterbugs in this draft,   most at least realize that they could use a game breaker opposite Diggs.

He literally had the greatest season by a Bills receiver in franchise history, and I include Moulds’ 1998 season here. He is also likely the primary reason why Allen’s completion percentage skyrocketed upward — he is practically always open. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth!

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He literally had the greatest season by a Bills receiver in franchise history, and I include Moulds’ 1998 season here. He is also likely the primary reason why Allen’s completion percentage skyrocketed upward — he is practically always open. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth!

That's a good example..........the NFL of 1998 was a much different league..........but that year Moulds was an absolute beast in YAC.

In 1998 Moulds averaged over 20 yards per reception.

Last year Diggs averaged 12 yards per reception.

Moulds never played anywhere near that level again but it remains the most explosive, dynamic season I've ever seen from a Bills WR.

Before you talk any more about Allen's completion % or the relative catch % rates...........Tua Tagovailoa finished 29th in the NFL in completion % last season........he would have lead the league with that figure(64%) in 1998.

Still, Diggs is a great player and ONE big playmaker for the Bills........but great after the catch he is not.   

You may not think that the current team needs more speed at WR...........a guy that can make people miss or a guy who is just great at getting over the top......... I think the general consensus after the Chiefs game was different.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:44 PM, machine gun kelly said:

716, he’s, 6’4”, and 329 lbs.  Yes he can and is what he’s done his whole life.  I respectfully disagree with you.  He’s more than powerful enough against DT’s.

Guard and Tackle are such different positions.  With a natural Guard, they are used to contact on the first step.  Tackles especially on pass pro deal with a different type of athlete.  They naturally need longer arms, a different bend, and are moving the DE’s in a much different manner.  DE’s like Von Miller and even Hughes can be smaller, faster, and takes a different skill set to block.  So many people don’t understand the differences between the two roles.  I’m not saying you at all.  It is rare a guy can play multiple roles.  They are built for one vs. the other.  Even Center is very different than a G.  That’s one reason guys like Feliciano are not common who can be proficient at both G and C.

Honestly thats a good breakdown, its appreciated.  What would you say the main differences are between G and C?

3 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Honestly thats a good breakdown, its appreciated.  What would you say the main differences are between G and C?

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's a good example..........the NFL of 1998 was a much different league..........but that year Moulds was an absolute beast in YAC.

In 1998 Moulds averaged over 20 yards per reception.

Last year Diggs averaged 12 yards per reception.

Moulds never played anywhere near that level again but it remains the most explosive, dynamic season I've ever seen from a Bills WR.

Before you talk any more about Allen's completion % or the relative catch % rates...........Tua Tagovailoa finished 29th in the NFL in completion % last season........he would have lead the league with that figure(64%) in 1998.

Still, Diggs is a great player and ONE big playmaker for the Bills........but great after the catch he is not.   

You may not think that the current team needs more speed at WR...........a guy that can make people miss or a guy who is just great at getting over the top......... I think the general consensus after the Chiefs game was different.

I think diggs is good after the catch in the modern NFL 

He is no Eric moulds after the catch.. who as you refer to was a beast 

He was Absolutely a physical freak

9 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

In many ways shredder, the center has to be very smart and having great coordination,  he has to be able to snap both directly to the QB or shotgun, his body is in a far different position than a guard.  Sure they are both in a three point stand, but he has to snap which changes body positioning, make call outs to line prior to the snap, and is the QB of the line.  If it’s a pulling play, meaning he drives with the LG and LT to the left whereas the RG and RT pulling to the right to create a cut back line for the RB is just a small example.  Morse is an excellent pulling center.  The G more times than not is on an island.  The RT is usually pushing to the outside and driving to the right.  Lastly, when the Guard and Center stunt, meaning the RG moves to the left and the C moves to the right as a confusion to the opposing defensive line is organized more by the center.

This is one of the reasons I like Ford for LG.  Feliciano at RG is smart.  He is very bright and can handle players on his own. Ford can simply maul people on the left and I believe he can do that.  

With all that said, I need more coffee so I’m sure others can speak more to the topic.  I was a RB, and LB in football, but coached the defensive line when my sons were younger.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think diggs is good after the catch in the modern NFL 

He is no Eric moulds after the catch.. who as you refer to was a beast 

He was Absolutely a physical freak

I'm not saying Diggs is not good after the catch..........but he's not great at it and he IS great at getting open.

That 1998 season was crazy for Moulds.     He topped it off with 240 yards receiving in their lone playoff game against Miami.     That remains the best WR season in Bills history, IMO.  

On 4/3/2021 at 10:38 PM, biggerdaddynj said:

The FO has too much invested in him

being more than just OK—they traded up and told us he was an OT unlike everyone else ... and I believed them.  They had so much credibility.  

Same thing goes with Edmunds.  They won’t do anything with him either that would undermine their anointment of him as stud for years to come.  And, I believed them too.    

Bills fans sometimes lol.

Maybe they still believe in them? Just throwing that out there lol. You accuse them of anointing them too early, and you are implying they aren’t good too early also. 

12 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't think Ford makes it to 2022 on the Bills' roster.  Once he fails to win the starting job in early September the writing will be on the wall.  He's going to wash out.  He's just not very good.

I hope you are wrong and he proves to be a solid LG.........but I can also pretty easily envision that scenario..........he certainly wasn't the prospect Beane thought he was getting.

Being that most OL coaches will say that few OL players are any good before they've had 3 years in the league maybe now Ford is ready to take a big step.........but it's hard for me to ever justify drafting an OL early who isn't equipped to handle the LT position.

If you draft a RT only, guard or center early they need to start playing at a high level immediately to justify the investment.   They are positions that can otherwise be manned proficiently by modestly paid UFA.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Tuel Time said:

Bills fans sometimes lol.

Maybe they still believe in them? Just throwing that out there lol. You accuse them of anointing them too early, and you are implying they aren’t good too early also. 

Or maybe they’re coming to terms with the opportunity cost of their mis-evaluations and they’re doubling down on trying to be right?  Trading up for Ford cost the Bills a much better player at a premium position in Metcalf.  They then traded away Wyatt Teller a few months later, likely figuring that Ford would, at worst, be an upgrade at guard.  That’s TWO All Pro players the Bills passed on/expelled for the sake of Cody Ford.

The problem isn’t Bills fans.. 

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1