Could Cody Ford be the key to the offense improving this year?

DCofNC

I don't understand all the focus on the offensive line this offseason. The o-line was perfectly fine last year. I always thought bringing back the exact same starters was the best move. Elite o-lines are extremely rare these days. You can't have an awful player at any spot but just about every team has a mediocre player somewhere on their line. The best coaches know how to compensate for that weakness. The Chiefs were really the only team to give us consistent pass rush trouble last year and by my own eyes that was more because of scheme than talent.

The easiest way for our offense to improve next year is to add a home run threat/x-factor in the draft. There are plenty of options. Karadius Toney, Travis Etienne, Rondale Moore, Elijah Moore, Kenneth Gainwell, Anthony Schwartz... Right now we don't have a player that can get the ball in space and take it to the house.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't understand all the focus on the offensive line this offseason. The o-line was perfectly fine last year. I always thought bringing back the exact same starters was the best move. Elite o-lines are extremely rare these days. You can't have an awful player at any spot but just about every team has a mediocre player somewhere on their line. The best coaches know how to compensate for that weakness. The Chiefs were really the only team to give us consistent pass rush trouble last year and by my own eyes that was more because of scheme than talent.

The easiest way for our offense to improve next year is to add a home run threat/x-factor in the draft. There are plenty of options. Karadius Toney, Travis Etienne, Rondale Moore, Elijah Moore, Kenneth Gainwell, Anthony Schwartz... Right now we don't have a player that can get the ball in space and take it to the house.

Yeah, a real X factor is a need.  We have several playmakers, but not on a Tyreek Hill/ Kelce  type of level.  Nobody is really a “fear factor” for the other team.  Diggs caught a lot of balls, but didn’t really make you fear him IMO, McKenzie looks like maybe he could be a Hill type, but didn’t get any looks after shredding Miami, RBs are a joke, TE is too, though Knox could be that guy if he would just catch the ball first. Josh is a problem on the move for sure, but you don’t really want your franchise trying to do it all, that’s how you end up with injuries you can’t afford.

16 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I for one don’t believe returning the same team that got smoked by a team that got better is the key to winning a SB.  Then, I got thinking, Ford will be back, this is a big bad mofo, who is known for road grading.  Does his experiment at RT being over, allow him to move inside and do what he does best?  Just straight up maul people and open holes for the running game.  Could he be the key to the run game getting on track and adding the dimension the O really needed last year? 

The passing game SHOULD be better, Sanders is at least a reasonable replacement for Brown, even if only from an availability standpoint.  One would hope the TE does more this year.   I expect a little more from Davis this year, Hodgins had a good camp and obviously, getting healthy for everyone would help.  I’m looking for some additions in the draft as well.  Also, Josh should take a few steps forward, so one would expect the passing game to be better. 

If the run game can come on, this team could be a LOT to handle.  I’m hoping Ford might actually be that missing link.

Ford got abused as a tackle, and he better be an upgrade at guard because I thought Mongo was the type of physical O-lineman we needed. I guess they have to put Ford out there because of where they drafted him. Now the running game needs a dynamic, hard nosed back, unlike Singletary, who's soft and took a big step backwards. Bring in an Etienne or Harris and even with the OL from last year, this offense will be tough to deal with. Every team needs to lose like we did to take the next step. We will be right there again, guaranteed. 

4 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Yeah, a real X factor is a need.  We have several playmakers, but not on a Tyreek Hill/ Kelce  type of level.  Nobody is really a “fear factor” for the other team.  Diggs caught a lot of balls, but didn’t really make you fear him IMO, McKenzie looks like maybe he could be a Hill type, but didn’t get any looks after shredding Miami, RBs are a joke, TE is too, though Knox could be that guy if he would just catch the ball first. Josh is a problem on the move for sure, but you don’t really want your franchise trying to do it all, that’s how you end up with injuries you can’t afford.

Diggs definitely made defenses fear him, the problem is he was the only skill player they had to game plan around. The Chiefs took advantage of that by taking him away as an option and forcing Allen to look elsewhere. Elite offenses have more than one option. The Chiefs obviously have Hill and Kelce, and even Hardman while not an elite all around WR he does have elite speed. The Bucs have an embarrassment of riches on offense. The Packers have Devante Adams and Aaron Jones. We were the only team out of the final 4 with one game changing offensive skill player. If we want to keep up with them we need at least one more.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Diggs definitely made defenses fear him, the problem is he was the only skill player they had to game plan around. The Chiefs took advantage of that by taking him away as an option and forcing Allen to look elsewhere. Elite offenses have more than one option. The Chiefs obviously have Hill and Kelce, and even Hardman while not an elite all around WR he does have elite speed. The Bucs have an embarrassment of riches on offense. The Packers have Devante Adams and Aaron Jones. We were the only team out of the final 4 with one game changing offensive skill player. If we want to keep up with them we need at least one more.

Defenses focused on Allen and Diggs, obviously.  Allen and Diggs were able to make Beas, Brown and Davis relatively good options as well.  Why these 3-5 playmakers didn't make others look and perform better is the problem that needs to be solved in order for the Bill's offense to perform better.  If we want or expect the Bill's offense to produce more/better, it's gonna have to come from the TEs and RBs, and to the extent necessary, the OL necessary to assist that.  This said, I would argue it might be more realistic to find improvement in our defense rather than in our offense.  Mgmt doesn't have unlimited resources to address all of it.  Which should be the priority?

9 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Missing link vs the Chiefs was coaching and mentality.

Agreed. The single most important thing we needed against the Chiefs was better coaching/better mentality.

That said, there's also room to improve some of the players on this team. During the regular season the OL did well at pass protection, not so much in run blocking. In the postseason the OL did poorly in both pass protection and run blocking. The two weakest spots on the OL are both OGs. If the Bills wanted to improve the OL, adding an OG would be the obvious place to start.

But as others have pointed out in this thread, there are certainly other needs on this team as well. The defense could use a good pass rusher, a good 1 tech, an improvement at #2 CB, and possibly a LB/S hybrid to cover TEs. The offense could use another weapon, whether it be a TE or a speedy WR to groom for the future. There's also room to improve at RB.

By no means am I suggesting that the Bills should be locked in on an OG at #30, to the exclusion of all their other needs. But, I am saying that if the best OG available at #30 is a significantly better football player than the best player available at the other positions I mentioned, they should go with the OG.

Edited by Arm of Harm
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Ford got abused as a tackle, and he better be an upgrade at guard because I thought Mongo was the type of physical O-lineman we needed. I guess they have to put Ford out there because of where they drafted him. Now the running game needs a dynamic, hard nosed back, unlike Singletary, who's soft and took a big step backwards. Bring in an Etienne or Harris and even with the OL from last year, this offense will be tough to deal with. Every team needs to lose like we did to take the next step. We will be right there again, guaranteed. 

Ford doesn't have The brute strength to be a road grading guard

he was drafted in the second round to be a grow grading tackle , because he can bully smaller ends

He can't bully 320 lb defensive tackles

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Huh?

Diggs caught a lot of balls?  He had the most receptions and the most yards in 2020.  Either you’re trying to tweak Bills fans, or you don’t understand football.  He had an oblique injury and every other target except a TE who drops balls, and a RB who was not explosive so they keyed on Diggs in one game.  The entire league and pundits know Diggs was amazing last year except you.

if you want to say we need more explosive targets ok.  I’ll agree with you.  A faster more explosive RB, ok.  A speed WR who is not hurt after the first few games in Brown, ok, but don’t denigrate one of the most impactful targets in the NFL.  It’s just not that easy to find a Kittle, Kelce, or Hill.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it was speed and athleticism. We have a lot of guys who have maximised their talent and are smart, consistent football players. But you can't always compensate for that explosive athleticism with smarts. More than positions I want our first 2 picks in particular to be high end athletes. Ideally one on each side of the ball. 

Yeah last season they were missing that one guy on both sides of the ball.

This year might be different but their approach to team building has been a little different than KC's...........the Chiefs have aimed high athletically in the draft and went out of their way to keep the controversial Tyreek Hill and paid big for the likes of Clark and Mathieu and Sammy Watkins.........and enough of those decisions have panned out that it causes big matchup problems for a team like the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The WR corps was banged up which killed the game for the Bills offense. Beasley and Brown were banged up going into the playoffs, Davis got hurt during the Ravens game and Diggs got dinged early in the KC game. When teams were double teaming and taking away Diggs Josh was able to get Beasley, Davis, Brown, Mac and others involved. But against KC almost all of those guys were hurt and less effective.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ford has the ability to be a road grading tackle. He struggled moving DTs off the spot with their size 

He can bully DEs, not DTs 

He won't be bullying DTs in the run game

716, he’s 329, was rated in 2019 as one of the worst RT’s in the league, but played Guard his whole life.  Do you’re homework as the avg. Guard is 312 lbs..  took me three minutes in research.  He also was rated by the team is the best option in the beginning of the year at LG.

I don’t know what leads you to believe he’s not powerful enough at Guard.  He doesn’t have the hands and skills to play tackle.  As I mentioned before, he is much more of a road grating interior lineman than a tackle.  You’ll find out this year.  It doesn’t mean anything until they get through camp as hell compete against Bates and Boettger.  I’ll bet you a whole plug nickel (whatever that means as it’s my dads phrase) he’ll be in place to potentially be our LG.

Now I do not think he is miracle answer at all.  That’s silliness, but he should help the line.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

716, he’s 329, was rated in 2019 as one of the worst RT’s in the league, but played Guard his whole life.  Do you’re homework as the avg. Guard is 312 lbs..  took me three minutes in research.  He also was rated by the team is the best option in the beginning of the year at LG.

I don’t know what leads you to believe he’s not powerful enough at Guard.  He doesn’t have the hands and skills to play tackle.  As I mentioned before, he is much more of a road grating interior lineman than a tackle.  You’ll find out this year.  It doesn’t mean anything until they get through camp as hell compete against Bates and Boettger.  I’ll bet you a whole plug nickel (whatever that means as it’s my dads phrase) he’ll be in place to potentially be our LG.

Now I do not think he is miracle answer at all.  That’s silliness, but he should help the line.

It's just my opinion. I watched every single snap of him of his Oklahoma career

He was a better tackle than he was a guard. He was barely on the draft radar as a guard, then he got moved to tackle where he was actually able to maul people 

He turned into a fringe first round prospect because of his freakish athleticism for his tackle play.. his raw strength numbers getting negated at guard in the NFL imo ... iirc only 19 reps on the bench

And I'm not saying he's a good tackle in the NFL.. he's not.. he's closer to being a bust because he's going to be an average guard 

He was supposed to be a freakishly athletic tackle , and now guard is a fallback, where imo he will be average

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3

18 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The offense doesn't need to get better. 

The defense needs to get better.

I agree they looked a little rough at times last year, but Im personally not too worried about it.  McD turned around Rex's mess very quickly and they were a top unit up until last year.  I think they will get it back together this year even though I do think their pass rush still needs help.

20 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Ford should be an addition to the running game, but doesn’t mean he is the missing piece.  He has been a natural LG forever, and the idea at RT, was foolish.

If he earns the LG position ? he will finally have the time and continuity to focus on his craft.

He does have some very good run blocking skills moving D line men and finding the next level.

Feel he might surprise finally.

Ford hasn't proven himself yet.  I hope he improves his play this year and emerges... but so far even when healthy he's been average at best.  I'd rather have Bates in there at guard.  I don't know why bates doesn't get more PT.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah last season they were missing that one guy on both sides of the ball.

This year might be different but their approach to team building has been a little different than KC's...........the Chiefs have aimed high athletically in the draft and went out of their way to keep the controversial Tyreek Hill and paid big for the likes of Clark and Mathieu and Sammy Watkins.........and enough of those decisions have panned out that it causes big matchup problems for a team like the Bills.

Last year Brady had the best skilled talent surrounding him in his career and needed it.  Russell Wilson's public spat prompted Seattle to re-sign Tyler Lockett despite Metcalf set to cash in big soon.  KC, as you note, is pursuing elite athletes who create matchup disadvantages and Buffalo had better get on board soon. 

Yet, McD and Beane seem comfortable running very similar personnel and schemes in hopes it'll finally defeat KC or the elite teams.  There's still the emphasis on rounding out their defense to run McD's inflexible scheme.    Maybe they draft a WR who can fly and present the deep threat missing, but that's a moderate gamble in a rookie to do so.  

Doing the same old conservative things and not surrounding your QB with elite talent is gonna sink some teams before seasons even begin.  This year it might become obvious that the offense needs an injection of more skill than what some think is already above-average.      

Edited by BillsVet

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

The weight doesn't mean anything without leverage.    He plays tall.......like a tackle.......and low man wins inside.   He's not been a good tackle OR guard.

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo has had their share of excellent guards (McKenzie, DeLamielleure, Jim Richer, Reuben Brown, Incognito) and this is the collective standard I'll judge good guard play by regardless of differences in the modern game.   Able to physically and/or technically beat their opponents on a consistent basis.  Ford - perhaps too slow footed and off-balance to be a tackle, and underwhelming at guard.  He would have to take a big step (think Allen year 1 to year 2) to justify starter talk. 

• Like (+1) 1

The FO has too much invested in him

being more than just OK—they traded up and told us he was an OT unlike everyone else ... and I believed them.  They had so much credibility.  

Same thing goes with Edmunds.  They won’t do anything with him either that would undermine their anointment of him as stud for years to come.  And, I believed them too.    

Im more concerned with our high draft picks like Oliver and Edmonds to start producing this year , Ford could be easily replaced in the second or even 3rd round this year , I hope will bring some competition for both guards position 

Edited by Putin