Could Cody Ford be the key to the offense improving this year?

DCofNC

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Joe Thuney, Kyle Long, Mike Remmers and they signed the Rams starting center for past three seasons.   I’d say they did just fine in free agency filling in holes on the OL 

Fair enough,  I haven't paid their FA too much attention and didn't realize they had gotten all that OL.

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

When did that happen?

College. It was his MO. 

I don’t view him as the missing piece (not the Shel Silverstein ‘Missing Piece’ as that would be weird 😃) but an effective RB. With that being said, I do NOT want a first round RB.  

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:
Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 1

716, he’s, 6’4”, and 329 lbs.  Yes he can and is what he’s done his whole life.  I respectfully disagree with you.  He’s more than powerful enough against DT’s.

Guard and Tackle are such different positions.  With a natural Guard, they are used to contact on the first step.  Tackles especially on pass pro deal with a different type of athlete.  They naturally need longer arms, a different bend, and are moving the DE’s in a much different manner.  DE’s like Von Miller and even Hughes can be smaller, faster, and takes a different skill set to block.  So many people don’t understand the differences between the two roles.  I’m not saying you at all.  It is rare a guy can play multiple roles.  They are built for one vs. the other.  Even Center is very different than a G.  That’s one reason guys like Feliciano are not common who can be proficient at both G and C.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If he’s really good, our offense could take another step forward and become more well rounded.  That could happen without

him being really good. He’s got 2 years left on the team, that’s all I know

Here's the best way Ford could help make a big difference in 2021:

Buffalo's #1, #2, #5 and Cody Ford in exchange for DK Metcalf and a 7th.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I am quite surprised this has not really come up yet.  All the comments are about how we need to get better personnel.  I feel we were good enough to win with who we had.  The coaches took a huge dump for the KC games. 

I mean look at New Orleans vs Tampa. New Orleans destroyed Tampa 34-23 and 38-3 in the regular season, but Tampa won in the post season. Tampa coaches came up with a better plan. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 3

Having Ford back healthy will surly help but offense wasn’t as much of an issue until all of our WRs had to play through injuries. 

If our D line can’t put any pressure on the QB then we’ll have a hard time beating KC. I really hope AJ can make an impact this year. 

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Missing link vs the Chiefs was coaching and mentality.

I think it was speed and athleticism. We have a lot of guys who have maximised their talent and are smart, consistent football players. But you can't always compensate for that explosive athleticism with smarts. More than positions I want our first 2 picks in particular to be high end athletes. Ideally one on each side of the ball. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it was speed and athleticism. We have a lot of guys who have maximised their talent and are smart, consistent football players. But you can't always compensate for that explosive athleticism with smarts. More than positions I want our first 2 picks in particular to be high end athletes. Ideally one on each side of the ball. 

I disagree with the first sentence. It was obiously part of the reason. But there was a big narrative after the game how there is a big gap between teams when it comes to speed. I don't think that was most important factor why we lost. We were 15-3 team at that point and were good enough to compete with Chiefs. But they were better prepared mentally and better coached. Hill had 171 yards (his season average was 85) and together with Kelce they had 289. That's just silly. That game made it look like that we lose 10 out of 10 games against them. I do not think that is the case. It should be more like 6/4 in their favor, but we need to gameplan better and execute better.

And I think offseason proves that McBeane actually think the same thing. I know Beane talked a lot about speed in his final press conference, but we did not see it in FA. Like at all (maybe except Breida). They basically brought everybody back. I think that they realized that the "gap" is smalled than it seemed to be and that they can win with current team, they just need to gameplan better. Everybody said that we sucked at covering TEs yet the biggest contract they handed over in offseason was to Milano, who many blame for not covering Kelce. 

In other words, I do think that offseason proves that they mostly blame themselves for AFCCG game, not roster. Which I think is correct and it also says a lot about McDermott (in a good way).

Which obviously does not mean that you are not correct and they will not try to add speed in the draft. I think they will.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think it's the offseason and we are getting carried away with the singularly decisive declarations.

Could an improved Cody Ford help?   Sure.  

But he's not going to be "the key".........just like 12 personnel is not the key to "unlocking" the running game and so forth.......the running game wasn't totally locked up there is just room for improvement.

They have the capacity to improve in a number of areas and some of it could be new players,   returning vets improving(like Ford or Dawson Knox).......or scheme adaptations etc..

It's not likely to be one player anymore than that was the case in their ascension last season.     Last year the OL improved.......the scheme changed.......Diggs and Davis were added........all in addition to Josh Allen making one of the greatest QB improvements ever.

A lot can be improved.

How refreshing to see one of our better posters alit from his tall, mighty steed and just comment on a topic of interest! It raises the level of debate here while encouraging others to think more before posting.

It must be Spring, where a young mans’ fancy turns to ... thoughts of ... improving a football team!

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Here's the best way Ford could help make a big difference in 2021:

Buffalo's #1, #2, #5 and Cody Ford in exchange for DK Metcalf and a 7th.

Then, there’s this beauty..🤦‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 2

The key to the offensive lines improvement will be continuity and staying healthy, Remember, we did not have our preferred O line group together and healthy during the entire past season iirc. That said, even so we went 13-3, won the AFCE title, won multiple playoff games, and again, without our preferred O line guys healthy and playing together... Take into consideration that the need for an improved run game has come from on high... so we can assume the run game issue is already being schemed to a higher level, gotta have trust in our GM, HC, and OC. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

ol Kirby used to say similar a lot and I agree with both of you.

One imposing player in the front 7 and a solid offensive mismatch would really round out the team 

5 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I disagree with the first sentence. It was obiously part of the reason. But there was a big narrative after the game how there is a big gap between teams when it comes to speed. I don't think that was most important factor why we lost. We were 15-3 team at that point and were good enough to compete with Chiefs. But they were better prepared mentally and better coached. Hill had 171 yards (his season average was 85) and together with Kelce they had 289. That's just silly. That game made it look like that we lose 10 out of 10 games against them. I do not think that is the case. It should be more like 6/4 in their favor, but we need to gameplan better and execute better.

And I think offseason proves that McBeane actually think the same thing. I know Beane talked a lot about speed in his final press conference, but we did not see it in FA. Like at all (maybe except Breida). They basically brought everybody back. I think that they realized that the "gap" is smalled than it seemed to be and that they can win with current team, they just need to gameplan better. Everybody said that we sucked at covering TEs yet the biggest contract they handed over in offseason was to Milano, who many blame for not covering Kelce. 

In other words, I do think that offseason proves that they mostly blame themselves for AFCCG game, not roster. Which I think is correct and it also says a lot about McDermott (in a good way).

Which obviously does not mean that you are not correct and they will not try to add speed in the draft. I think they will.

after going 0-2 I’m not sure I’m solidly on the same 6/4 split train. 

though I am curious about an honest assessment of how crippled our WR room was that day. Seemed several guys would’ve been sitting out had it been September and not January