The last time the Bills picked at #30 in the draft...

His rookie season was nothing short of sensational. Again, we were bereft of talent at QB. We had OJ and added Haven Moses, but it was the acquisition of Marlin ‘the Magician’ Briscoe and Shaw that suddenly made the offense lethal. Shaw wasn’t particularly accurate and he had very small hands. His passes all floated. But Moses and Briscoe could climb trees and out duel DBs for high passes. It was truly something to behold. Shaw was consensus Rookie of the Year and we thought we were gonna be great again. But HC Rauch quit and Ralph’s buddy Harvey Johnson -who never coached- became HC. By ‘72, Saban was back and committed to OJ & the running game. Briscoe had a falling out with Saban in Denver and wanted no part of him again, so he left for Miami. We drafted Joe Ferguson in the 3rd Round in ‘73 and he was starting by the 3rd game (a 9-7 win over the Jets in the inaugural regular season game at brand new Rich Stadium). By season’s end, Fergy was entrenched at QB and Shaw was traded to St. Louis for up & coming WR Bobby Moore -who would embrace Muslim and change his name before coming to Buffalo. Ahmad Rashad made an immediate impact along with JD Hill and the irrepressible Bobby Chandler#81 and Shaw disappeared into oblivion. 

There were loud rumors that Shaw said some racist things in the locker room before he was traded, but I don’t recall ever reading confirmation of this. He definitely had a falling out here though..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

First guy I thought of was John McCargo....what a nightmare. He was #26 though.

That whole draft was a giant blunder.  We could've and should've drafted Haloti Ngata over Whitner at 8 and then when we traded up I thought for sure we were going after Nick Mangold.  The only redeeming thing from that draft we lucked into Kyle Williams that year.  Would've been something if we pulled both Ngata and Williams in that draft.

2 hours ago, BringBackFlutie said:

Right but your first post insinuates that the article is accurate but misleading. Your second post makes sense. 

Any Doug Flutie fan should have known that the USFL started in 1983 not 1975.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

His rookie season was nothing short of sensational. Again, we were bereft of talent at QB. We had OJ and added Haven Moses, but it was the acquisition of Marlin ‘the Magician’ Briscoe and Shaw that suddenly made the offense lethal. Shaw wasn’t particularly accurate and he had very small hands. His passes all floated. But Moses and Briscoe could climb trees and out duel DBs for high passes. It was truly something to behold. Shaw was consensus Rookie of the Year and we thought we were gonna be great again. But HC Rauch quit and Ralph’s buddy Harvey Johnson -who never coached- became HC. By ‘72, Saban was back and committed to OJ & the running game. Briscoe had a falling out with Saban in Denver and wanted no part of him again, so he left for Miami. We drafted Joe Ferguson in the 3rd Round in ‘73 and he was starting by the 3rd game (a 9-7 win over the Jets in the inaugural regular season game at brand new Rich Stadium). By season’s end, Fergy was entrenched at QB and Shaw was traded to St. Louis for up & coming WR Bobby Moore -who would embrace Muslim and change his name before coming to Buffalo. Ahmad Rashad made an immediate impact along with JD Hill and the irrepressible Bobby Chandler#81 and Shaw disappeared into oblivion. 

There were loud rumors that Shaw said some racist things in the locker room before he was traded, but I don’t recall ever reading confirmation of this. He definitely had a falling out here though..

I was only like 10 at that time, way too drunk to remember all those details. Thanks! 

Ahh, growing up in WNY! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-draft-2021-last-time-teams-picked-current-draft-spot

30. Buffalo Bills, 1970: Dennis Shaw, QB, San Diego State 

Shaw was named the NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Year in 1970 but he lasted just four total seasons in Buffalo with three of those coming as a starter. He was a backup in St. Louis for two seasons before taking his talents to the USFL and never returned to the NFL. He finished his NFL career with a 52.9% completion percentage, 35 passing touchdowns, and 68 interceptions. Shaw threw 46 interceptions across 24 starts in his first two NFL seasons. 

Before I opened the thread my guess was 1989, the year they lost in the AFC championship game to the Bengals.  But maybe whomever lost the NFC championship game had a better record or did the Bills not have a 1st round pick that year resulting from the Biscuit trade??

OK looked it up, they would have had the 30th pick but both their 1st and 2nd round picks were traded to the Rams in the trade mentioned above.  They also didn't have a 1st rounder the year prior in the 1988 draft.  Throw in Greg Bell, that was a lot to give up for a non QB pick, not sure you'd see a trade like that today.  Tunsil went for 2 firsts, but he was an established player. 

The Bills first draft pick that year, picked 30th in the 3rd round,  turned out to be a guy named Don Beebe.

19 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I could have been Shaw16!

I'd forgotten most of that history. Thanks. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/2/2021 at 5:35 PM, YoloinOhio said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-draft-2021-last-time-teams-picked-current-draft-spot

30. Buffalo Bills, 1970: Dennis Shaw, QB, San Diego State 

Shaw was named the NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Year in 1970 but he lasted just four total seasons in Buffalo with three of those coming as a starter. He was a backup in St. Louis for two seasons before taking his talents to the USFL and never returned to the NFL. He finished his NFL career with a 52.9% completion percentage, 35 passing touchdowns, and 68 interceptions. Shaw threw 46 interceptions across 24 starts in his first two NFL seasons. 

much maligned, let's hope this year's guy fares better

On 4/2/2021 at 6:37 PM, Rico said:

I think it's because the Bills and Pats were both 4-10 in 1969, and they alternated 4th and 5th with every round.

Pats must've traded their 2nd round pick though.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/1970

Belichick loves draft day trades; everyone knows this.

• Haha (+1) 1

I’ve told this story before. I was working in Southern California in the early 1980s with a local small City Recreation Department and ran into Dennis Shaw. He’d gone from NFL rookie of the year to a summer recreation leader. I couldn’t believe it.

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Shocked 1