LET'S GO METS!!!!!!!

Beerball

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Oh... Funny story about the Mets and 1969.  My brother was 5 and in Kindergarten... My mother got him a Mets tee-shirt.  Same mother who grew up thinking only the Yankees & Dodgers were allowed in World Series (honest Native, really! 😆)... And daughter of total Yankee lover AND Mets lover, my grandmother...

...Anyway my brother,  who's 4 years older than me says he goes to school with said Mets tee-shirt and is promptly picked on, called every name in the school bus dictionary by the older kids.  1969 wasn't all that idyllic. Did you ever see Shea Stadium during those years?😉😉 Anyway, he went on to be a Yankee lover... During the Yankees-KC years I rooted for Royals... YET, he tolerated the Mets and would root for them. But NOT over St.Louis Cardinals! 😅🤣

I hope this clarifies things! 😆🤣

My first game at Shea was 1971, some of us have fond memories. Just yesterday I was at a virtual baby shower for a co-worker and she's naming her first daughter Shea.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I have an abundance of Leeks (don’t ask).  Anyone know what to do with them?  I saw a recipe for a potato-leek soup, but I don’t want soup.  Any ideas?  Can you pickle them?

Hell yes, they are great pickled! Send me a peck

52 minutes ago, flaz said:

Hell yes, they are great pickled! Send me a peck

Just pickled 2 large mason jars full and still gave a bunch of leeks to our neighbor.  They smell so good.  Going to give them a few hours in the fridge and then give them a taste.

White vinegar, sugar, kosher salt, black pepper corns, coriander seeds, chopped fresh garlic, and a few chopped red chili peppers 🌶 

<chef’s kiss>

20 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Just pickled 2 large mason jars full and still gave a bunch of leeks to our neighbor.  They smell so good.  Going to give them a few hours in the fridge and then give them a taste.

White vinegar, sugar, kosher salt, black pepper corns, coriander seeds, chopped fresh garlic, and a few chopped red chili peppers 🌶 

<chef’s kiss>

Sweet!

Back in the day, always did a slow cooked venison roast smothered in leeks. My mouth is literally watering right now 

Edited by flaz
  • Like (+1) 1

LET'S GO METS!!!!!

23 hours ago, Gugny said:

An Open Letter to All Genuine Mets Fans:

This thread was created by a SF Giants fan.

The Original Poster created this thread to MOCK the Mets ... not to celebrate them.

I'm calling on all true Mets fans to discuss anything BUT the Mets in this thread.

#LFGM

Love,

Gugny

au contraire mon frere

This thread was created to mock a singular Mets fan.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Last World Series appearance 2015.  Yanks?

40 in last 100 years. That's one every 2.5 years for all you little mathletes out there! Mets?  5 in last 60. That's one every 12 years.  2009 was 12 years ago.  That's about right for the Yankees with Mets standards... 😆

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Last World Series appearance 2015.  Yanks?

Doesn't matter, that was a historical laugh. :lol:

Baseball is irrelevant to me these these days.

Nevertheless, here's a historical GO YANKS!

Edited by Rico

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

40 in last 100 years. That's one every 2.5 years for all you little mathletes out there! Mets?  5 in last 60. That's one every 12 years.  2009 was 12 years ago.  That's about right for the Yankees with Mets standards... 😆

Mets fans need to stop taking on the most recent World Series appearance argument.  It’s an immediate L for them 😒

Die hard Yankees fan here.  I’m not embarrassed to say that initially I was a Mets fan at a very early age because my sister was in love with Ron Darling so I saw a lot of their games 🤣.  I cheer for the Mets when they’re relevant.  Looks like the tide is turning for them.  Baseball is better when both NY teams are good, IMO.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Mets fans need to stop taking on the most recent World Series appearance argument.  It’s an immediate L for them 😒

Die hard Yankees fan here.  I’m not embarrassed to say that initially I was a Mets fan at a very early age because my sister was in love with Ron Darling so I saw a lot of their games 🤣 I cheer for the Mets when they’re relevant.  Looks like the tide is turning for them.  Baseball is better when both NY teams are good, IMO.

WRT to the first bolded - you have that luxury. I have a close friend who is a Yankee fan who thinks like you. I'm a bitter Yankee-hater. If the Mets ever have an extended period of success that overshadows the Yanks maybe I'll be as magnanimous....maybe.

WRT to the second bolded - 100% true. But the better NY rivalry is Rangers-Islanders because they actually compete in the same division. When the new Isles ownership came in a few years ago they made a similar statement that they wanted both teams to be great.

I wanted to be a Mets fan but my one and only Mets game was an awful experience.  I get on the 7 train headed to Shea Stadium and its like you're riding through Beirut for 40 minutes.  Some kid with purple hair sits next to me, I think he had AIDS, and this other guy who just got out of jail is my other side.  Across from me is some 20 year old mother of four kids who are all going nuts.  A depressing start to my day, for sure.  I get off the train and need some directions but nobody speaks English in Queens.  I finally get into the stadium and find my seats in the first row of center field.  I spent most of the game looking behind me to duck spit, bottles, quarters and batteries that Mets fans are trying to throw on the field.  Everyone around me is screaming profanity and calling players' mothers whores.  Those Mets fans proved themselves to be a bunch of degenerates.  Never went back.  

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I wanted to be a Mets fan but my one and only Mets game was an awful experience.  I get on the 7 train headed to Shea Stadium and its like you're riding through Beirut for 40 minutes.  Some kid with purple hair sits next to me, I think he had AIDS, and this other guy who just got out of jail is my other side.  Across from me is some 20 year old mother of four kids who are all going nuts.  A depressing start to my day, for sure.  I get off the train and need some directions but nobody speaks English in Queens.  I finally get into the stadium and find my seats in the first row of center field.  I spent most of the game looking behind me to duck spit, bottles, quarters and batteries that Mets fans are trying to throw on the field.  Everyone around me is screaming profanity and calling players' mothers whores.  Those Mets fans proved themselves to be a bunch of degenerates.  Never went back.  

You're off your rocker.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was a die hard Mets fan as a kid from the 1980s. Hit my peak in the late 90s and early 2000’s. When Bobby V was the manager, I would probably watch 90% of their games in a season. I knew that team so well that I knew every move Bobby V would make (when he would hit and run; how he would work his relief pitchers, etc.).  Loved guys like Alfonzo, Ordonez, Gilkey, Olerud, Piazza, Ventura, Turk Wendell, etc. 

But when the Mets decided to just outspend people (Mo Vaughn, etc), and baseball became increasingly boring and boring, I lost interest. MLB now is so utterly and hopelessly boring and broken; I just can’t generate any interest in it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was a die hard Mets fan as a kid from the 1980s. Hit my peak in the late 90s and early 2000’s. When Bobby V was the manager, I would probably watch 90% of their games in a season. I knew that team so well that I knew every move Bobby V would make (when he would hit and run; how he would work his relief pitchers, etc.).  Loved guys like Alfonzo, Ordonez, Gilkey, Olerud, Piazza, Ventura, Turk Wendell, etc. 

But when the Mets decided to just outspend people (Mo Vaughn, etc), and baseball became increasingly boring and boring, I lost interest. MLB now is so utterly and hopelessly boring and broken; I just can’t generate any interest in it. 

I like the Mets as well but I think the 2001 World Series is where baseball interest peaked for me in my lifetime to the point now I just only look at the scores for the most part.  

I guess I’m looking at it through a Mets fans lens but even if the Yankees win the World Series, I mean what fun is it?  Their signing of Jason Giambi in 2002 is where I think they kind of jumped the shark.  Buying players who turned out to be a steroid guy anyway.  Before then you can definitely make the case the Yankees didn’t buy their championships...  most of the players before that were home grown talent.

Plus what happened to guys like Turk Wendell in the game that actually had personality? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.