Putting our Penny Down

qwksilver

I’m not much for starting new threads but I need some cathartic moments. So here goes:

We put Penny down Tuesday, she was our 9 year rescue rotty mix.  We were telling a friend about the discovery of the cancer and Tuesday’s last show of love. She used the term “Heart Dog”. After her explanation, because I’ve never heard that term, I lost it. Little did we know but Penny is our heart dog.

Penny was unlike any other dog we’ve ever had the pleasure of rescuing.

She was prey driven (we always thought that was a joke as our previous dogs were food driven).

She was the smartest. After the pool guy or lawn guys left the back yard, she would go and jiggle the gates with her paw because they were known to forget to click them shut and Penny loved to escape. She hated all furry animals on the TV. She knew all the commercials with dogs in them, she would bark and whine at the TV when they aired.

So many other thoughts but I'll stop now. Thanks for letting me share.

_RsS-CP5zxQhkaesB462wq0CDYNe30kOmAh-sbLr

Penny in the front, Zoey our Boxer mix in the back.

jhJ29g8sNaXGB9bt49-JEJVQYS92SYRWREmleskC

• Sad 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you are not a dog (or cat) lover, you may not get how difficult this is. I’m so sorry for your loss.

We have a soon to be 12 year old Golden. I don’t know how we would have survived the last decade without her. Had some tough times, and somehow she was the rock.  Sounds silly, I know, but they sense things in a way I can’t explain. During times of illness and surgeries, family deaths, etc. she kicked into another gear. Spooky awareness. 

A recent trip to the vet revealed a heart arrhythmia and a recent routine walk around the neighborhood was difficult to finish. All fine now, but she’s getting extra hugs and treats. Our six month old puppy keeps her young, but they don’t last forever. The current student will be the teacher one day when Gracie is gone. 

Again, so sorry for the loss. Appreciate what we DO have while we have it! 

• Thank you (+1) 4

I’m so sorry for your loss. We had to say goodbye to our best friend this past August and it slowly has been getting better. Dogs are just too special to live as long as us terrible humans.

People who aren’t dog lovers can’t understand it’s really like losing a family member (worse sometimes). Hang in there and know it won’t be long before all the memories are thought of happily.

• Agree 1

My sincere condolences to you and yours.

I'm sure Penny got as much out of your time together as you did.  You gave each other happiness, loyalty, friendship and love.

Hopefully knowing that she lived a great life can somehow help you through this difficult time.  Be well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/1/2021 at 9:36 PM, Augie said:

If you are not a dog (or cat) lover, you may not get how difficult this is. I’m so sorry for your loss.

We have a soon to be 12 year old Golden. I don’t know how we would have survived the last decade without her. Had some tough times, and somehow she was the rock.  Sounds silly, I know, but they sense things in a way I can’t explain. During times of illness and surgeries, family deaths, etc. she kicked into another gear. Spooky awareness. 

A recent trip to the vet revealed a heart arrhythmia and a recent routine walk around the neighborhood was difficult to finish. All fine now, but she’s getting extra hugs and treats. Our six month old puppy keeps her young, but they don’t last forever. The current student will be the teacher one day when Gracie is gone. 

Again, so sorry for the loss. Appreciate what we DO have while we have it! 

It only sounds silly to people that have never owned a dog. I'll even go a little deeper and say not all dogs have this ability only special ones. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, qwksilver said:

It only sounds silly to people that have never owned a dog. I'll even go a little deeper and say not all dogs have this ability only special ones. 

Our Gracie has always been a sweet girl and loves people. After my MIL passed away family and friends were gathered at the MIL’s house preparing for all the stuff that would come next. The mood was pretty somber, understandably. Gracie worked the crowd, I swear to you! She would normally have been curled up on the floor (she was 9 at the time, by no means a puppy), but she sensed we needed something. She went around the room and made people play with her, acting unusually goofy. Soon enough, we were all laughing at her. My wife’s boss drove to town to pay his respects and commented “I can’t remember this much laughing at my house on a good day!” It was indescribable.

My wife had years of unexplained health issues (now resolved, thank God!). We had been referred to an oncologist regarding her pancreas. Scary stuff! After the first surgery I was downstairs while the wife was up in bed. I fed the dog and as soon as she ate she turned and RACED to the stairs and up into the bedroom. That had NEVER happened before! She sat at the foot of the bed waiting for permission to jump up into bed and comfort my wife.

They just know stuff. I don’t know how, but they do. I’m sure Penny was the same way.  I’m also sure you have that strange sense of quiet around the house, but she’ll always be with you. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/1/2021 at 4:30 PM, qwksilver said:

I’m not much for starting new threads but I need some cathartic moments. So here goes:

We put Penny down Tuesday, she was our 9 year rescue rotty mix.  We were telling a friend about the discovery of the cancer and Tuesday’s last show of love. She used the term “Heart Dog”. After her explanation, because I’ve never heard that term, I lost it. Little did we know but Penny is our heart dog.

Penny was unlike any other dog we’ve ever had the pleasure of rescuing.

She was prey driven (we always thought that was a joke as our previous dogs were food driven).

She was the smartest. After the pool guy or lawn guys left the back yard, she would go and jiggle the gates with her paw because they were known to forget to click them shut and Penny loved to escape. She hated all furry animals on the TV. She knew all the commercials with dogs in them, she would bark and whine at the TV when they aired.

So many other thoughts but I'll stop now. Thanks for letting me share.

_RsS-CP5zxQhkaesB462wq0CDYNe30kOmAh-sbLr

Penny in the front, Zoey our Boxer mix in the back.

jhJ29g8sNaXGB9bt49-JEJVQYS92SYRWREmleskC

She’s waiting for you at rainbow bridge just remember that

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.