McShay Mock Draft 4.0

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

I think my post was unclear. I believe they would have him spell Ed Oliver with the odd turn at 1-tech if there were an injury so we don't have to slide Oliver over. Remember we should have both Phillips and Star back this year. I wouldn't draft Onwuzurike to play 1-tech. I do believe they would move him though when the situation calls for because Beane loves players who are multiple. 

For sure. But if they ever want Ed to be worth his pick he needs to play 60%+ of the snaps. Can you get value out of Onwu as a 2nd rounder playing less than 40% of the snaps.... and McShay says he can slide in alongside Ed... he can't. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

For sure. But if they ever want Ed to be worth his pick he needs to play 60%+ of the snaps. Can you get value out of Onwu as a 2nd rounder playing less than 40% of the snaps.... and McShay says he can slide in alongside Ed... he can't. 

Yeah I agree McShay's reasoning is wrong and i don't love the pick. But outside of TE/CB I don't see a rookie 2nd rounder coming in and playing more than 40% of snaps anywhere on the roster. DE and RB are needs, but I don't see the talent in this draft at those positions to unseat the players we have starting currently. Oliver needs to be given the opportunity to step up and earn his 5th year option, I still think he can do that with a rookie playing behind him. We need better quality competition on the Dline, so I wouldn't complain about drafting a backup in the 2nd and 3rd. Phillips may be one of the only DEs we could draft that might have a shot at starting for us.  

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31165378/nfl-mock-draft-2021-todd-mcshay-predictions-all-64-picks-rounds-1-2-plus-where-seven-qbs-land

JOK to Giants at #15

Etieene to the Jets at #23

Najee Harris to the Steelers at #24

30. Buffalo Bills

Jaelan Phillips, DE, Miami

The top two running backs are off the board, and it's a little early for Javonte Williams (North Carolina). So why not inject some life into a middle-of-the-road pass rush instead -- especially with Jerry Hughes turning 33 before the season. Phillips had 8.0 sacks and 15.5 tackles for loss in 2020.

61. Buffalo Bills

Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington

The Bills finally halt Onwuzurike's slide down the board. He is my No. 35 prospect, but there aren't many teams searching for a defensive tackle right now. And while Buffalo might have preferred a running back, tight end or offensive tackle, Onwuzurike is sudden and creates havoc. He could slide in next to Ed Oliver.

Would love this draft. Then add a TE and a C/OT in the next two rounds. 

I have questions on Philipps and I am not sure I would take him as our 1st round pick (or at all). Concussions and already retired once to pursue other life aspirations? I've said in other posts, we already have Morse in that program... Is he done if he gets another concussion? Would we really want to spend a first on Phillip's given his past? Seems like quite a risk to me...🤔

Edited by LyndonvilleBill
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TailgateChef said:

I like the value pick at 61....but are we looking for another light DT?  Grab a giant space-eater in the later rounds to tie up double teams and free up Ed and the D Ends (T. Shelvin, B. Brown, T. Slaton could all fit the bill).

agree.  I don’t mind the 61 pick, but would draft something else and Shelvin in Rd. 3. 

Just now, RyanC883 said:

agree.  I don’t mind the 61 pick, but would draft something else and Shelvin in Rd. 3. 

Haven’t watched much of Shelvin. Is he a pure space eater? I don’t think the Bills should take a guy that is only for run defense before round 5. 

8 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Haven’t watched much of Shelvin. Is he a pure space eater? I don’t think the Bills should take a guy that is only for run defense before round 5. 

I’m fine with pure run D guy like him prior to 5.  he projectes as having pass rush ability.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, gobills404 said:

if we get jaelan phillips then I'll be happy no matter who we pick after that

If the Bills are convinced that Phillips can stay on the field...then I like that pick. He still has ceiling!

27 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Take a look:  matched against several future early-round draft-pick Olinemen (Leatherwood, D. Brown, Dickerson, J. Wills, etc).  Thoughts?

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31165378/nfl-mock-draft-2021-todd-mcshay-predictions-all-64-picks-rounds-1-2-plus-where-seven-qbs-land

JOK to Giants at #15

30. Buffalo Bills

The top two running backs are off the board, and it's a little early for Javonte Williams (North Carolina). So why not inject some life into a middle-of-the-road pass rush instead -- especially with Jerry Hughes turning 33 before the season. Phillips had 8.0 sacks and 15.5 tackles for loss in 2020.

61. Buffalo Bills

The Bills finally halt Onwuzurike's slide down the board. He is my No. 35 prospect, but there aren't many teams searching for a defensive tackle right now. And while Buffalo might have preferred a running back, tight end or offensive tackle, Onwuzurike is sudden and creates havoc. He could slide in next to Ed Oliver.

I would not draft 2 for the same area in rounds 1 and 2.

I heard Todd McShay was traded to Fox News in a player for player swap with Tucker Carlson.... 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

sad jim carrey GIF

I do like Phillips FWIW, but neither help me this year.  Epenesa will have a bigger impact than an Edge 30.

I'm not sure if Beane sits back or moves up, but my money is on CB

I think J Phillips is the best DE in this draft and if he’s there at 30 I’m pretty sure he’ll be a Buffalo Bill , I just think he’ll be gone by  pick 20 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TailgateChef said:

I like the value pick at 61....but are we looking for another light DT?  Grab a giant space-eater in the later rounds to tie up double teams and free up Ed and the D Ends (T. Shelvin, B. Brown, T. Slaton could all fit the bill).

If we are building an offense to put up points I’m cool with our defensive line being a bit speedier to get to the qb in a shootout 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Weird rule, especially considering our Front 7 was the weak link last year, and the positions are so different, but ok.

Plus prospects that late are maybe a coin flip? Doubling up helps the odds

3 hours ago, AmishRifle said:

What a bunch of professionals on this board!  I’m duly impressed.  I thought for sure somebody would slide in with a “I’d like a piece of that” type comment.  But, nope, not this board.  

A piece?? Give me the whole pie!! I ❤️ LaNova pizza & wings!!

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

JOK to Giants at #15

30. Buffalo Bills

61. Buffalo Bills

Not a fan of these 2 picks at all...

I personally would not touch Phillips. The concussion deal scares me too much, especially using a 1st Rd. pick. Admittedly he's deserving as a football player, but the head injury deal is just too much of a risk for me. 

And Onwuzurike does not address what I think the Bills need inside. He's a sub 300 lb DT who definitely moves well, but I saw some tackling issues on tape that concerned me. I was just as impressed, if not more, by Daviyon Nixon...

I'd MUCH rather the Bills reach for Shelvin at the end of the 2nd because I know exactly what they will get...Not saying I'd take Shelvin at #61 because I do think it's a little early. But I'll take Shelvin over Onwuzurike for the Bills needs all day...And I think Shelvin's ceiling may be higher if he can lose 25 lbs or so and embrace NFL-level training...B-)