Dean Spanos’ sister trying to force sale of Chargers in court

7 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Can I ask why?  I know he wouldnt build a new stadium in SD because he wanted too much tax payer money..... but is there other stuff? I never heard anything negative that i can remember

It's sort of a vicious cycle.

Owners are usually very collaborative in trying to continue to improving the product so they can continue to make more money. Spanos consistently refuses to collaborate OR spend money, opting instead to basically just bathe in the work that others have done and not do his part, so owners hate him.

He took for granted a really great and passionate fanbase in San Diego and moved the team to LA because of the market, despite knowing that there was not and would not be a great amount of fan support there. In LA, you're competing with USC football, the Raiders, the Rams, the beach, the Lakers, the Dodgers, the Angels, Disneyland, UCLA football (to a lesser degree), etc. So now he's in a market with no fan support, no stadium and really no additional owners support. It's a mess.

Edited by glazeduck
  • Agree 2

How does a trust, one which owns a third of an NFL team (guaranteed income), no less, go 350M in the hole?

These people are all idiots, like their dad.

9 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

It's sort of a viscous cycle.

Owners are usually very collaborative in trying to continue to improving the product so they can continue to make more money. Spanos consistently refuses to collaborate OR spend money, opting instead to basically just bathe in the work that others have done and not do his part, so owners hate him.

He took for granted a really great and passionate fanbase in San Diego and moved the team to LA because of the market, despite knowing that there was not and would not be a great amount of fan support there. In LA, you're competing with USC football, the Raiders, the Rams, the beach, the Lakers, the Dodgers, the Angels, Disneyland, UCLA football (to a lesser degree), etc. So now he's in a market with no fan support, no stadium and really no additional owners support. It's a mess.

the what....?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

the what....?

TONS of love for the Chargers in SD, less so for Spanos -- that wore out a lot of those fans...

I'd say he's pretty close to the owner in Major League, if we're looking for a super quick analogy...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 17islongenough said:

How does an NFL owner get in that much debt? 

No clue about how they got there, but when you have 100's of millions and you want to take a "risk" for financial gain, it's usually a large up front number (so the ROI is "worth" your effort) so I can see how mistakes can be amplified. 

With that said, I can't feel bad forcthem lol. But I do understand how it could go south on a few bad decisions. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They buried the lede that Spanos the elders named their kids Dea and Dean 

Dea and Dean?  What were the parents thinking?!  😅

When I read Dea I honestly thought it was a typo.  Nope, turns out it is the sister's actual name

1 hour ago, 17islongenough said:

AFL founder Lamar Hunt said that the origin of the Chargers name came from the charge card business, which was an innovation in the 50s/early 1960s. Barron Hilton (son of Conrad Hilton), the first owner, had just started the Carte Blanche charge card business. Hilton denied it, but the legend is a powerful one. Anyway, it appears that the Spanos family may have taken the team name a little too much to heart! (Another interesting aside: Trump reportedly loathed Barron Hilton with a passion (both were in the real estate and hotel business), yet his son is named Barron. Go figure.)

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Does it specify what the debt is from? The move? It’s an la team that now has a qb they are about to start printing money especially with the new tv deal.  They need to just buy her out 

It was for limo service to drive P Rivers from his house in San Diego to LA every day since Rivers didn't want to move to LA.  He paid for 10 years service upfront, thinking Rivers was going to play until age 50.

26 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

Dea and Dean?  What were the parents thinking?!  😅

When I read Dea I honestly thought it was a typo.  Nope, turns out it is the sister's actual name

I worked with two brothers who were Wayne and Duane.  Wayne was the older, we always figured they asked 'pops' what is the second boy's name at the kid's birth: "duh...Wayne?  No, wait, we already have a Wayne."

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

31 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

The Chargers don't even seem like a real NFL team.

Are there actual fans? 

I know every team can't have a great and storied fanbase, but this team played in a half empty 30,000 seat soccer stadium recently. 

They do exist, I have some good friends who are Chargers fans.

They still hate that Spanos moved them out of San Diego.

2 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

Many highly wealthy people are also highly leveraged. Making money with OPM (other people’s money). It can be a great ride if all the cylinders are hitting but then it can come down like a house of cards. 

33 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

They do exist, I have some good friends who are Chargers fans.

They still hate that Spanos moved them out of San Diego.

That makes sense...

The move out of SD was a mess. End up being a tenant in the Rams stadium that the Rams don't even want around... 

• Like (+1) 1