Trade Allen to Jax. Keep repeating the QB rookie contracts.

21 hours ago, beerme1 said:

***** Off

You must be new here ?

( I guess I’ll find out the answer after your back from timeout)

Edited by Putin

23 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The player and handcuffed to the offense kind of go together.  That's who Jackson is and what he can and can't do.  He likely will be seeking and getting a contract worth more than $30 mil a year, is he worth it?  At that price he will handcuff the team and be surprised if he's good enough to overcome and win with him.

I think they can win a super bowl with him tbh.  They seem to always have a really strong defense, his rushing ability combined with a solid offensive line will keep them in most games.  Their passing attack with Roman is a bit weak, but a new coordinator might help them figure out how to more effectively come back etc.  

The fact that they're likely playoff bound every year helps too.  Once you're in - maybe you need a little luck to avoid having to play Allen/Mahomes 2 weeks in a row (or avoid them entirely).  I always look at the Tomlin steelers for this example as they won a super bowl without playing manning or brady (injured).  

On 4/1/2021 at 12:16 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Yes! It makes sense AND cents! We could be great for 40 years!

Here me out!  

(check the date)

Who's rousing rabbles, now?

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, papazoid said:

for the next 4 years.....would you rather have

josh allen at +$40/mil/yr

or

trevor lawrence at $10 mil/yr

(either is pretty good)

After the 4 years lawrence might be looking at 50+.

So if Lawrence so 4/40 plus 10/500.  That comes out to 14 years 540.  Shave off the last 2 to even up the years and it's 440.  You might be able reduce year one (5th year option) of the new contract but it'll be high if he's a pro-bowler/all-pro.

Allen 2yr 30 (6.9 this year, and 23 for the 5th year option), then we'll say 40 per for 10.  So 12 years 430.  

So honestly, the total cost of ownership is pretty comparable over the next 12 years.  Not to mention it goes against the grain of trying to win a super bowl *this* season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

or

(either is pretty good)

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

After the 4 years lawrence might be looking at 50+.

So if Lawrence so 4/40 plus 10/500.  That comes out to 14 years 540.  Shave off the last 2 to even up the years and it's 440.  You might be able reduce year one (5th year option) of the new contract but it'll be high if he's a pro-bowler/all-pro.

Allen 2yr 30 (6.9 this year, and 23 for the 5th year option), then we'll say 40 per for 10.  So 12 years 430.  

So honestly, the total cost of ownership is pretty comparable over the next 12 years.  Not to mention it goes against the grain of trying to win a super bowl *this* season.

Let’s not forget that the deal would actually be Allen at 40+ per year + a happy Diggs + a happy locker room + a happy fan base - the rookie growing pains - having to play against Josh this season

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

or

(either is pretty good)

I would rather have Allen and it's not close.  The reasons:

*  Allen is the real deal.  He will be an elite QB for ALL of those 4 years.  Lawrence should be great but there are no guarantees. 

*  There will be a development curve for Lawrence.  At least one and probably two seasons.  So the 4 year window quickly becomes a 2 year window.

*  It's not my money.  And given the likley jump in the CAP over the next 4 years there will still be plenty of room to maneuver even with Allen making 40 million/year.

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

We FINALLY get a real qb after 20-some years since Kelly and we would want to trade him away?  Ok...

I was  just having a moment of appreciation for this. I check out the Pats & Jets boards, and a few others. The discussions are all complete deja vu of what our fanbase went through every April for 2+ decades - comparing QB's in the draft, trying to figure out if this one would be better than that one, or who had the highest ceiling or biggest bust potential.  Is it worth trading up for this guy?  What if that other guy drops to us?  Maybe we can get a stop-gap FA until next year's class?

It's especially gratifying watching Patriots fans go through this kind of hand-wringing. Literally, they have not had to do that since the '80's. It was a way of life for us.

But after all that, we found THE guy - and I don't think anyone has any doubt about that.  We're set for at least a few Presidential administrations.  I don't want to go back to analyzing draft prospects until I'm an old man.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Success said:

I was  just having a moment of appreciation for this. I check out the Pats & Jets boards, and a few others. The discussions are all complete deja vu of what our fanbase went through every April for 2+ decades - comparing QB's in the draft, trying to figure out if this one would be better than that one, or who had the highest ceiling or biggest bust potential.  Is it worth trading up for this guy?  What if that other guy drops to us?  Maybe we can get a stop-gap FA until next year's class?

It's especially gratifying watching Patriots fans go through this kind of hand-wringing. Literally, they have not had to do that since the '80's. It was a way of life for us.

But after all that, we found THE guy - and I don't think anyone has any doubt about that.  We're set for at least a few Presidential administrations.  I don't want to go back to analyzing draft prospects until I'm an old man.

Boom. Well said. 

I hated going through draft after draft watching other teams take a shot at their guy and we sat there and took a corner or another defensive player almost year after year. Then we parlayed that into “fixing” the most important position in sports with some type of journeyman late rounder.  It was nauseating. 

• Agree 1

I do think teams need to be careful about paying young QBs based solely on their teams performance while on rookie contracts. Look no further than Wentz and Goff. Both guys were wildly successful while their team had ~30mm in extra cap space to spend on the rest of the roster. Once they got their mega contracts Wentz was a disaster and Goff noticeably declined. 

Both teams traded those guys away after 1 year of their mega deals. 

I'd say the big difference is that Wentz and Goff are average-ish QBs that were propped up by elite rosters, whereas Allen was playing at an elite level with an average-ish roster. We'll see how it goes, but I'd say there's about a 0% chance we trade and/or don't extend Allen.