Trying to convince my favorite bar to serve beef on weck. But in Massachusetts

Behindenemylines

I’m sure there are dozens of posts on this but I’m too damn lazy to search through them all.  

trying to get my favorite bar here in Western Massachusetts to start serving Beef on Weck.  Need some good recipes a restaurant can use to get this off the ground. 

Any actual specifics would help.   They are willing to give it a go if I can help.  If I pull this off thinking I can get them the Sunday ticket and make them a Bills bar in short order.  

thanks for the help!

18 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

I’m sure there are dozens of posts on this but I’m too damn lazy to search through them all.  

trying to get my favorite bar here in Western Massachusetts to start serving Beef on Weck.  Need some good recipes a restaurant can use to get this off the ground. 

Any actual specifics would help.   They are willing to give it a go if I can help.  If I pull this off thinking I can get them the Sunday ticket and make them a Bills bar in short order.  

thanks for the help!

Very simple to make.  Tell them to use Eye Round or Top Round.  And the horseradish has to be good horseradish.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/162533/beef-on-weck/

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

thanks for the help!

Just get them to serve Sahlen's hot dogs and list them on the menu as 'Lips and Massholes'...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Very simple to make.  Tell them to use Eye Round or Top Round.  And the horseradish has to be good horseradish.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/162533/beef-on-weck/

Agree... there is no rocket science to this one... although it tastes great even when kind of ***** up. Fried bologna sandwiches now, if not done correctly, can be a real red light affair. Very labor intensive.

If you want it done right... Skip the au jus... It's working man's food... Original invention of the recipe calls for gravy:

923165079_BailosBeefOnWeck.thumb.jpg.768d0bbaf0a36ab106e703405edd110f.jpg

How the coastal elites co-opted it with au jus is beyond me:

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/history/torn-down-tuesday-bailos-famed-for-beef-on-weck-and-an-urban-legend/article_c401f97b-2d78-5ac5-91ee-b3d85bb4546c.html

"...The draft beers were big. The shrimp cocktail was big. And famously, the beef on weck was huge.

The well-done beef, usually topped with GRAVY and horseradish at Bailo's, poured off of the full-sized kimmelweck roll.

Again, at a time when dozens — if not hundreds — of corner saloons were carving up beef on weck around the region, Bailo's was famous all over the city for people who'd make the trip for what was universally recognized as one of the city's best roast beef sandwiches."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

6 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Looks like they set the place on fire for using gravy, lesson learned?

They rebuilt.   That was the first one.  You mess with beef, you play with fire 🔥... 😉😜

2 minutes ago, Irv said:

This will curl your nose hairs!

roller.jpg

I never got why it needed to be refrigerated.  Doesn't it contain vinegar?

16 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

If you want it done right... Skip the au jus... It's working man's food... Original invention of the recipe calls for gravy:

923165079_BailosBeefOnWeck.thumb.jpg.768d0bbaf0a36ab106e703405edd110f.jpg

How the coastal elites co-opted it with au jus is beyond me:

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/history/torn-down-tuesday-bailos-famed-for-beef-on-weck-and-an-urban-legend/article_c401f97b-2d78-5ac5-91ee-b3d85bb4546c.html

"...The draft beers were big. The shrimp cocktail was big. And famously, the beef on weck was huge.

The well-done beef, usually topped with GRAVY and horseradish at Bailo's, poured off of the full-sized kimmelweck roll.

Again, at a time when dozens — if not hundreds — of corner saloons were carving up beef on weck around the region, Bailo's was famous all over the city for people who'd make the trip for what was universally recognized as one of the city's best roast beef sandwiches."

Yeah, nothing says, "beef on weck," like well done beef and gravy.  Does it come with ketchup, too?

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, nothing says, "beef on weck," like well done beef and gravy.  Does it come with ketchup, too?

What do you know... You're not from Buffalo.  We might like ketchup! 😜

It's bar food.  Why people make more out of it than it's worth is silly.  The beef is done rarer first and then finishes off well in the gravy.  

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What do you know... You're not from Buffalo.  We might like ketchup! 😜

It's bar food.  Why people make more out of it than it's worth is silly.  The beef is done rarer first and then finishes off well in the gravy.  

Well you are from Buffalo, so what do you know about the Chicago River and lock system?

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They rebuilt.   That was the first one.  You mess with beef, you play with fire 🔥... 😉😜

I never got why it needed to be refrigerated.  Doesn't it contain vinegar?

it very clearly states that it’s to maintain safety 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.