Single season records.

TBBills

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

Well with the addition of the 17th game starts a new chapter in single season records. 

Everything done next season will be a single season record... 

How many guys will get over 2k rushing, 3-4?

5k passing yards... Pshh no problem.

50+TD season from multiple QBs... You better believe it.

Everything will now be judged on the 17th game. Who knows how long until they push 18 so get those records while you can.

WTF are you talking about? Of course there will be some increases.  

Rushing: 2k season- Let’s say to even have a chance to hit the 2k mark you need to be at 1800 yards after your 16th game. Even that is generous. The only year multiple players were between 1999 yards and 1800 is 1998. Jamal Anderson and Terrel Davis

Passing TD’s: Same thing. Let’s say to hit 50TD’s you need to be at 45 coming into your 17th game. Once ever has there been a year with multiple guys between 45-50-TD’s. 2011, Brees and Rodgers. 

You are out of your gourd. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I could have sworn I heard this on ESPN Radio this morning.  I could easily be mistaken, though.

That would be so dumb, though. You have to strategically sit starters throughout the year? Really hope that isn't the case.

• Agree 1

Just now, Boxcar said:

That would be so dumb, though. You have to strategically sit starters throughout the year? Really hope that isn't the case.

That's exactly what they were talking about this morning.  Deciding whether to a) rest certain individual players for certain games, or b) rest all of your starters for a game against a crappy team.

They even specifically said something like "teams would have to be smart, it's not like you're gonna rest your starters going into Kansas City or Buffalo."

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I've been looking, too, and I can't find anything.  It's something I thought I heard on the radio this morning.  I think I may have misunderstood and I apologize to everyone for any confusion.  Sorry, fellas!

No problem.   It would have added an interesting strategy to the season.   When do you sit your quarterback or star edge rusher?

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

My understanding is that no player can actually play in more than 16 regular season games, so records should be protected.

I hadn't heard that at all. I have heard each player under contract will get a prorated 1/16th extra game check. Why would that happen if they weren't allowed to play the extra game?

4 hours ago, TBBills said:

Well with the addition of the 17th game starts a new chapter in single season records. 

Everything will now be judged on the 17th game. Who knows how long until they push 18 so get those records while you can.

I’m guessing you weren’t watching football back when they switched from 14 to 16 games, but have you been putting up this fight when someone sets a current record? This one extra game is not going to help set a ton more single season records...yes obviously it helps, but not even close to the rate you are thinking 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Did everyone forget how to do math?  You can still judge players on performance per game.  Simpson had 143.1  yards/game.  Dickerson was only 131.6.  The first guy to break 2K in 17 games would have to rush for 2433 yards to break Simpson's per game accomplishment.  That is not going to happen.   Injuries and blowouts have as much to do with season long performance as the actual number of games played.  

1 hour ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I hadn't heard that at all. I have heard each player under contract will get a prorated 1/16th extra game check. Why would that happen if they weren't allowed to play the extra game?

It was floated as an idea to get the NFLPA to buy into a 17th game.  Obviously it is impossible to implement.

They should have gotten rid of all the pre-season games.  2020 showed they were pointless and only expose players to injury risk.  

6 hours ago, TBBills said:

Yes.  YES!!  Every record WILL BE BROKEN this season!

2K rushing?  All Dalvin Cook needed was one more game and 90 carries to get the 450 he needed to break 2000.  And after him,  Jonathan Taylor could have taken the extra game to run it 120 times to get that last 800+ yards to put him over the top!  Add Henry....well that's 3 right there!

And, likewise, Russ Wilson and Brady would have each easily  racked up a 10 TD game in "Week 18". to get them to 50.  Josh would need a 13 TD game, but he's easily a top 4 QB, so.....of course it could happen!!

• Haha (+1) 1

Eventually it will be 18 games and you will have players on a play count. Fans and fantasy people will be complaining when coaches start pulling players regularly in games when your team has a comfortable lead.