Single season records.

TBBills

Well with the addition of the 17th game starts a new chapter in single season records. 

Everything done next season will be a single season record... 

How many guys will get over 2k rushing, 3-4?

5k passing yards... Pshh no problem.

50+TD season from multiple QBs... You better believe it.

Everything will now be judged on the 17th game. Who knows how long until they push 18 so get those records while you can.

Edited by TBBills

10 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Well with the addition of the 17th game starts a new chapter in single season records. 

Everything will now be judged on the 17th game. Who knows how long until they push 18 so get those records while you can.

My understanding is that no player can actually play in more than 16 regular season games, so records should be protected.

hard to believe that the 16 game season has been around since 1978 - a good run for 40+ years and we are all need to re-calibrate our stats and records accordingly

its certainly a one-off, the owners pushed for 18 and the NFLPA pushed back and ratified the CBA by only 60 player votes with game 17 being the biggest issue

Rotating the game thru conference ping-pong is the best they can do ?  I thought neutral site games would be a great idea; Toronto, London, Berlin, Vancouver, Montreal, Hawaii, college stadiums like Penn State, Ann Arbor, Clemson, etc would be cool and grow the game in areas that dont ordinarily experience NFL games with the tailgaiting and all.

I hope the additional wildcard game added last season is now annual keeper as well...more GOOD football is a great thing.

OJ was the only RB to break 2000 yds rushing in a 14 game season.  Now most people do not even realize that it was done in a 14 game season.

Seven other rb's have done it since then, but it was during a 16 game season. 

Milestone records like that, plus lifetime rushing, passing, etc. are all going to be affected.

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, TBBills said:

I don't think it will be as many as you may think. It will be a few likely, but don't see 1 extra game making much of a difference. Unless a player is like close and needs 20-50 yards maybe for the 17th game

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My understanding is that no player can actually play in more than 16 regular season games, so records should be protected.

I remember that being discussed during the new CBA negotiations but I thought that wasn't agreed to.

If anyone has the facts one way or the other it sure would be appreciated.

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't know if that were true than why the talk about player salaries if they still only played in 16 games. Also lots of problems with that scenario instead of just paying players more money.

After looking that was a proposal back a few years ago when they were looking at 18 games. None of that is in this, players will be playing the full schedule.

Edited by TBBills

There are AFL and NFL records before the merger...there are records based on a 14 game season and 16 game season. Now 17...does it really matter? One more regular season game and fewer preseason. I don't see a big problem

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I don't think it will be as many as you may think. It will be a few likely, but don't see 1 extra game making much of a difference. Unless a player is like close and needs 20-50 yards maybe for the 17th game

16 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I remember that being discussed during the new CBA negotiations but I thought that wasn't agreed to.

If anyone has the facts one way or the other it sure would be appreciated.

I could have sworn I heard this on ESPN Radio this morning.  I could easily be mistaken, though.

1 minute ago, nucci said:

There are AFL and NFL records before the merger...there are records based on a 14 game season and 16 game season. Now 17...does it really matter? One more regular season game and fewer preseason. I don't see a big problem

In 2013 Peyton Manning passed for 55 TDs in 16 games, if Mahomes passes for 54 in 16 and gets 2 in his 17th game, who do you feel should have single season TD passing record?

You really think one more game is going to make three or four running backs hit 2,000 yards? Lmaoo 

Henry was the only one that hit 2K. Nobody else was within 450 yd hahah nobody's going to make up that kind of production up in 1 game

There's only like two back in the league that have the talent to go for 2000 yards

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

In 2013 Peyton Manning passed for 55 TDs in 16 games, if Mahomes passes for 54 in 16 and gets 2 in his 17th game, who do you feel should have single season TD passing record?

I don't care. Did the Bills win? 

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Hi Gugny:  Where did you see this?  I have looked online and I can not find where it states that each player will be restricted to playing 16 games in a regular season? 

It makes sense if the NFL is trying to look like player safety is taken into consideration

4 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Hi Gugny:  Where did you see this?  I have looked online and I can not find where it states that each player will be restricted to playing 16 games in a regular season? 

It makes sense if the NFL is trying to look like player safety is taken into consideration

I've been looking, too, and I can't find anything.  It's something I thought I heard on the radio this morning.  I think I may have misunderstood and I apologize to everyone for any confusion.  Sorry, fellas!

Not sure what the strategy would be.  I suppose if you have already clinch you could rest your best players in week 17 and treat it like an exhibition game.  If you need that win or your opponent is also vying for position, could be an interesting dilemma for the coaches.  December could be an interesting month.  Another reason for signing Trubisky.