Better than The Beatles

OGTEleven

I had posted this previously in the "Share your music thread". "Eleanor Rigby", using Sugarcane Harris' violin in a very different way than the string octet in the Beatles' original. I especially like the bass by Victor Conte.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

And no offense to you my man but they have made great strides with hearing aids these days. Those two women have some of the most amazing voices on planet earth.

Still... they didn't turn me on. Just didn't care for it...

• Like (+1) 1

This thread really illustrates what elite songwriters Lennon/McCartney were.

In my opinion, the output of good, catchy, memorable, timeless, high quality music they put out in just six years will never, ever be matched. The word "prolific" barely does them justice.

P.S. For a minute I thought to myself "I'd like to see a 'better than Bob Dylan'" post, too....but then I realized that that would just be ALL of the Bob Dylan covers. All of the Bob Dylan covers are better than when Bob does them. 😆

Edited by Logic

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

This thread really illustrates what elite songwriters Lennon/McCartney were.

In my opinion, the output of good, catchy, memorable, timeless, high quality music they put out in just six years will never, ever be matched. The word "prolific" barely does them justice.

P.S. For a minute I thought to myself "I'd like to see a 'better than Bob Dylan'" post, too....but then I realized that that would just be ALL of the Bob Dylan covers. All of the Bob Dylan covers are better than when Bob does them. 😆

We can go there too...

11 hours ago, Logic said:

For a minute I thought to myself "I'd like to see a 'better than Bob Dylan'" post, too....but then I realized that that would just be ALL of the Bob Dylan covers. All of the Bob Dylan covers are better than when Bob does them. 😆

I once had a co-worker who said, "I'll never understand how Bob Dylan became a famous singer."

Another co-worker replied, "He's not a famous singer. He's a famous songwriter."

On a similar note (excuse the pun), I read an interview with Kris Kristofferson. He said he prefers other people's versions of his songs over his own.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/2/2021 at 9:13 AM, WhoTom said:

I once had a co-worker who said, "I'll never understand how Bob Dylan became a famous singer."

Another co-worker replied, "He's not a famous singer. He's a famous songwriter."

On a similar note (excuse the pun), I read an interview with Kris Kristofferson. He said he prefers other people's versions of his songs over his own.

Dylan may not have a great singing voice, but he can be a great singer, at least back in the day. At his very best , I would say his phrasing and timing surpasses Lennon and McCartney. Of course, those 2 were both great singers with great voices (particularly Macca).

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Rico said:

Dylan may not have a great singing voice, but he can be a great singer, at least back in the day. At his very best , I would say his phrasing and timing surpasses Lennon and McCartney. Of course, those 2 were both great singers with great voices (particularly Macca).

Good take, everyone knows Dylan isn’t Aretha Franklin vocally, but he got the job done. Diversity in voices and style is what drew me to “classic rock”, although it’s not my era. Dylan’s raw vocal delivery is refreshing compared with today’s autotune perfect pitch nonsense. I rarely have an issue with anyone’s voice, as long as they are close to signing in key. I appreciate guitar playing, and solid songwriting most of all. I’ve never cared much about vocal ability. I can be impressed by an amazing singer, but the song itself is far more important. People get carried away with wanting to hear the high notes. Also, give me Dylan’s Knockin on Heaven’s Door everyday over GNR’s version, although I love GNR. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Good take, everyone knows Dylan isn’t Aretha Franklin vocally, but he got the job done. Diversity in voices and style is what drew me to “classic rock”, although it’s not my era. Dylan’s raw vocal delivery is refreshing compared with today’s autotune perfect pitch nonsense. I rarely have an issue with anyone’s voice, as long as they are close to signing in key. I appreciate guitar playing, and solid songwriting most of all. I’ve never cared much about vocal ability. I can be impressed by an amazing singer, but the song itself is far more important. People get carried away with wanting to hear the high notes. Also, give me Dylan’s Knockin on Heaven’s Door everyday over GNR’s version, although I love GNR. 

Well said. Another great example would be the Dead. Jerry Garcia is one of the greatest singers ever IMO. His voice is all over the place, plenty of creaks, but his singing is so emotive, I can listen to him all day and all night. Now, Bob Weir is a mediocre singer, but at least he's still light years better than Phil. :lol::sick:

Edited by Rico
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Very well said.  It's really about the complete package.  Real life example - I saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd for the first time as part of the Experience Hendrix tour.  He absolutely killed it.  I walked away thinking that this kid was the next SRV.  Fast forward a handful of years, I saw KWS headlining.  Phenomenal guitar playing, but his songs sucked.  I mean BAD.  The only time the crowd went nuts was when he played Hendrix or SRV covers.  Dylan (and for that matter, Hendrix) did not have great singing voices, but the total package (delivery, lyrics, musical ability, etc.) made them great.

And I love me some G-n-R, but I can't stomach their version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door.  It is terrible. (Although, I love their version of Live and Let Die)

• Like (+1) 1

Not necessarily “better” but fantastic takes by both of these legends.

I love 60’s pop-culture, especially all the musical crossover. It was a testament to accepting and appreciating different cultures, and a huge example of how music is absolutely a universal language and can be something that brings people together, particularly in the tumultuous “civil rights” era.

• Like (+1) 2

Not really a traditional cover of it, as he only sings for like 30 seconds, but this one has stuck with me for the past 5 years or so since I first saw it.

Also, not sure it's better as I love the original, but I love this version too:

Edited by DCOrange

• 1 month later...

A late entry. The thread with Dylan covers brought me to the Flaming Lips. I do not think their cover of "Lay Lady Lay" is very remarkable. However, in my search I found this gem...

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.