Any thoughts on WR Dyami Brown, UNC?

Rounds 1 and 2 I am going defense roughly BPA hopefully a pass rusher at 30 fits that mold. In round 2 I take an NT or CB to polish up the defense a bit more. In round 3 I go O-line find Ty's replacement and long term a replacement for Mongo or D.Williams. Then I go BPA round 5-7 just for depth and development. Nice to have a roster not missing all that much. 

There is a good chance that the best player available at 30 will be a WR.  If the gap is large between a WR and a player at a different position I'm fine with taking the receiver at 30.  Beasley and Sanders contracts expire at the end of next season.  

I'm hoping the bpa is a defensive player though.

• Agree 2

The Bills need D so that they don't feel compelled to play on their heels vs top offenses.  That starts on the line and thats what they need in the worst way. 

I like WR or TE picked somewhere but it'd have to be a real steal at 30.  I know Chase is being projected way higher, but teams may get cold feet after him coming off an injury - thats the kind of steal you take a chance on, but highly unlikely. 

Edited by Ayjent

On 4/1/2021 at 2:25 PM, auburnbillsbacker said:

There is a good chance that the best player available at 30 will be a WR.  If the gap is large between a WR and a player at a different position I'm fine with taking the receiver at 30.  Beasley and Sanders contracts expire at the end of next season.  

I'm hoping the bpa is a defensive player though.

I could see us nabbing Bateman if he were available 

5 hours ago, Ayjent said:
5 hours ago, Ayjent said:

The Bills need D so that they don't feel compelled to play on their heels vs top offenses.  That starts on the line and thats what they need in the worst way. 

I like WR or TE picked somewhere but it'd have to be a real steal at 30.  I know Chase is being projected way higher, but teams may get cold feet after him coming off an injury - thats the kind of steal you take a chance on, but highly unlikely. 

I honestly think a WR with good speed is a bigger need than anything on defense. Our D is fine? It's impossible to play dominant defense these days anyway, there's no point trying to re-create the 2000 Ravens or something.

A much more urgent concern to me is that we could not score points in Kansas City and we lack speed at WR to keep the safeties back. You're supposed to be able to score points in today's NFL, you're not supposed to have a dominant defense-- nobody does.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 4/3/2021 at 4:05 AM, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I honestly think a WR with good speed is a bigger need than anything on defense. Our D is fine? It's impossible to play dominant defense these days anyway, there's no point trying to re-create the 2000 Ravens or something.

A much more urgent concern to me is that we could not score points in Kansas City and we lack speed at WR to keep the safeties back. You're supposed to be able to score points in today's NFL, you're not supposed to have a dominant defense-- nobody does.

Not trying to recreate the Ravens but you’ve got to get pressure to beat Mahomes - otherwise this team is going to be a bridesmaid every year.  The Raiders and Chargers got to him and took the wind out of their offense too.  Honestly they could use another LB and CB and could draft an edge rusher or space eater on the line. 

Speed wasn’t the problem at WR either.  It was lack of a physical receiver to beat “tight” coverage when refs swallow whistles and lack of a real threat at TE as a pass catcher.   Also, if the WRs were better blockers the run game would open up more too.  That’s why I wanted Michael Pittman Jr last year.  Gabe Davis was a great pick too, but Pittman is way more physical and a great blocker. 

There are plenty of places to improve despite a great year last season.  They will have options at 30 to fill one of the needs and usually a player that makes total sense is there for a steal late first round. What position and who is the question.  I think they have plenty of speed at WR already.  They need to get tougher and more physical  on both sides of the ball honestly. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Not trying to recreate the Ravens but you’ve got to get pressure to beat Mahomes - otherwise this team is going to be a bridesmaid every year.  The Raiders and Chargers got to him and took the wind out of their offense too.  Honestly they could use another LB and CB and could draft an edge rusher or space eater on the line. 

Speed wasn’t the problem at WR either.  It was lack of a physical receiver to beat “tight” coverage when refs swallow whistles and lack of a real threat at TE as a pass catcher.   Also, if the WRs were better blockers the run game would open up more too.  That’s why I wanted Michael Pittman Jr last year.  Gabe Davis was a great pick too, but Pittman is way more physical and a great blocker. 

There are plenty of places to improve despite a great year last season.  They will have options at 30 to fill one of the needs and usually a player that makes total sense is there for a steal late first round. What position and who is the question.  I think they have plenty of speed at WR already.  They need to get tougher and more physical  on both sides of the ball honestly. 

Agree on the pressure point. Disagree on receiver. Offense needs more speed IMO.

• Like (+1) 3

On 4/1/2021 at 3:03 AM, GunnerBill said:

I really like Dyami too. I have him as a high second rounder and my WR5 - he is a top 35 player. I actually see a bit of Stefon Diggs in him. He is fast but not a burner, love his release and the routes he runs he really excels at. I think he can also play right across the formation which Daboll loves - remember last year he had Gabe learn all 3 starting receiver positions and used him in the slot and split out.

It is fair to say he was only asked to run a handful of routes in college and he will need to learn and master additional route combinations in the pros but when it comes to wide receivers they have to do two things - get open and catch the ball. I think he does both at a high level. 

I took Dyami in the 2nd Round of the last mock draft I did yesterday and posted in the 'Mock Draft Simulator' thread last night. These are the comments I had for him:

"I just like this kid. Great vertical threat who can get deep and play in the slot or outside."

On 4/2/2021 at 9:47 PM, Ayjent said:

If Beane stays at 30, there’s a really good chance a WR is BPA.  There just aren’t many big time pass rushing options available.  Given that it’s easily the biggest need for a team whose window is wide open, I think the play is to move up for someone like Paye or one of the Miami edges.  Then again, I’ll never fault someone for grabbing another weapon in today’s NFL so if he thinks there’s a game breaker at WR then go get him.

• Like (+1) 1