Bills opening stadium discussions with NYS and Erie County

Big Turk

3 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I read the stadium report Populous did a few years ago. The major reason for indoor is the amount of events you can do and host like doubles as opposed to out door. If you are going to spend that much money I'd rather have 55-60 things happening a year as opposed to the 20-25 you get outdoor.

I did Miami pre Canapy and post Canapy and it was like a different stadium. Even though it was like 80% capacity, with the Canapy the sound reverberated tenfold more then the night game I went to without it.

Def an interesting difference to have experienced.

The indoor/outdoor thing is an economic analysis that has to be done. That’s typically where the private public partnerships come into play. You have to host one heck of a lot of events to pay for a $500 Million roof. So if you assume the investment lasts for twenty five years or more that’s $20 million per year or $1 million per event. And while it’s not this simple that equates to $20 extra per ticket tacked on for each crowd of 50,000. Does it pencil? 

And thanks for the review on Miami. I haven’t been there since they added the roof. It was a horrible venue before that renovation. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

A really creative design team would construct a new, modest, smaller capacity, open air, but covered seat stadium in Orchard Park that would have parking facility amenities to reinforce the tailgating experience. Then, simply charge more for parking and people would pay it. Large parking lot food, restroom, video, etc venues would make the pre and post game experience truly unique to WNY and very fitting to the Buffalo experience.

I've thought, before they started Disney parking, that it would be cool if one parking lot could have reserved spots, with each spot have a small lockable storage unit, maybe 5x10.  So you could reserve your spot for the season, and store your chairs, grill, tables, instead of hauling them back and forth each game.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It's hard to know what to predict. A dome seems likely until one considers how few appropriate events are likely to be held in Buffalo. But it would not be smart or likely to put an open-air stadium downtown where the winds would be devilish. Forget the retractable roof--it would never be retracted except on the most perfect summer nights...

24 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The indoor/outdoor thing is an economic analysis that has to be done. That’s typically where the private public partnerships come into play. You have to host one heck of a lot of events to pay for a $500 Million roof. So if you assume the investment lasts for twenty five years or more that’s $20 million per year or $1 million per event. And while it’s not this simple that equates to $20 extra per ticket tacked on for each crowd of 50,000. Does it pencil? 

And thanks for the review on Miami. I haven’t been there since they added the roof. It was a horrible venue before that renovation. 

Not sure I saw an answer to my previous question, so I'll ask the architect. Where do you get an extra $500M (30-50% of budget) for making a building with a roof? T

That is more than what the Falcons paid for their state-of-the-art retractable. We arent talking retractable here.

38 minutes ago, corta765 said:

If you are going to spend that much money I'd rather have 55-60 things happening a year as opposed to the 20-25 you get outdoor.

I hear this parroted quite a bit. How many extra Winter events do you think a dome will bring that can't already be held in the 19,000 seat Key Bank Arena? What are these 30-40 Winter happenings? A major concert, a boat show, a monster truck rally, hmm maybe that's even too much. They certainly aren't going to heat an entire stadium in the middle of a Buffalo February for a wedding.

A think a lot of the public believes in the "build it and they will come" adage, but I think the reality is that it's going to be unused 90% of the year dome or not.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

One thing to remember is the NFL shares some revenues like TV deals. Basically that shared revenue covers player costs. There is a lot of money being shared. 

So what I'm trying to say is the Buffalo Bills likely wouldn't survive without shared revenue. So that's part of the reason why there is pressure on the Bills to get this done. They have to keep up with the league. Bills need to increase their revenue. 

I get that the league shares revenue and the more money the Bills pull in, so do the other owners. I just don’t quite grasp how a new stadium is going to bring more money in. More expensive boxes? More restaurants/bars within? Short of bringing more bodies through the turnstiles, how is a shiny stadium going to extract more money out of the same number of people. If they want to raise prices, I get it. But, with Josh Allen chucking the ball, they can do this right now without all the fuss. 

1 hour ago, QCity said:

I hear this parroted quite a bit. How many extra Winter events do you think a dome will bring that can't already be held in the 19,000 seat Key Bank Arena? What are these 30-40 Winter happenings? A major concert, a boat show, a monster truck rally, hmm maybe that's even too much. They certainly aren't going to heat an entire stadium in the middle of a Buffalo February for a wedding.

A think a lot of the public believes in the "build it and they will come" adage, but I think the reality is that it's going to be unused 90% of the year dome or not.

sadly, you are correct.  Also, who knows what the rules for large events in NY State (with regards to social distancing and other health restrictions) will even look like 5-10 years from now.

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

I read the stadium report Populous did a few years ago. The major reason for indoor is the amount of events you can do and host like doubles as opposed to out door. If you are going to spend that much money I'd rather have 55-60 things happening a year as opposed to the 20-25 you get outdoor.

I did Miami pre Canapy and post Canapy and it was like a different stadium. Even though it was like 80% capacity, with the Canapy the sound reverberated tenfold more then the night game I went to without it.

Def an interesting difference to have experienced.

What domed arena is doing "55-60 things a year"?

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I've thought, before they started Disney parking, that it would be cool if one parking lot could have reserved spots, with each spot have a small lockable storage unit, maybe 5x10.  So you could reserve your spot for the season, and store your chairs, grill, tables, instead of hauling them back and forth each game.  

Ya see? That’s exactly the sort of creative thinking I’m talking about. Plenty of restrooms out in the parking lot and hook ups for electricity. Extra wide spaces for tables, etc. This would be an easy revenue stream for the Bills. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not sure I saw an answer to my previous question, so I'll ask the architect. Where do you get an extra $500M (30-50% of budget) for making a building with a roof? T

That is more than what the Falcons paid for their state-of-the-art retractable. We arent talking retractable here.

The cost depends on a lot of things but you first have to realize the roof impacts more than the roof itself. It changes the design of the entire upper deck as well as the building’s foundations. My figure was purely hypothetical but it will surely be in the many millions, so pick a figure that sounds right to you and then apply the same math that I did. I’m guessing You’ll still end up with a significant cost per ticket surcharge. Then, you’ll have to decide if you think people would pay it. That’s exactly what the stadium developer will do. It’s not magic or emotion. It’s math.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Unless studies show there is more revenue to be made in the long run locating in downtown.

Very good point, but how much "more revenue" would be needed to break even?  How long would it take to reach that point and would the powers that be be willing to wait that long?

2 minutes ago, haroldwaide said:

Very good point, but how much "more revenue" would be needed to break even?  How long would it take to reach that point and would the powers that be be willing to wait that long?

I hope Terry & Kim have the right people crunching those numbers. It's a big decision.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

A substantial increase in ticket prices will come with a new stadium. That goes without saying. If the current facility is refurb'd, then maybe, not so much. If I want to go to a (cough!) 'trendy restaurant' (as has been mentioned here, as a perk of a new facility) I can do that somewhere else. The current Stadium has excellent sight lines, and Arrowhead, and Lambeau field, are doing quite well, in their advanced age. We can do the same here, without breaking the bank of the people who actually support the team.

Just curious if you priced tickets at Lambeau or Arrowhead?

(PACKERS) Pricing in 2021 is as follows: end zone seats are $58 for preseason, $118 for regular season; south end zone 700 level seats are $61 for preseason, $121 for regular season; south end zone 600 level seats are $64 for preseason, $129 for regular season; end zone to the 20‐yard line seats are $69 for preseason, $134 for regular season; between the 20-yard lines seats are $74 for preseason, $149 for regular season.

26 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

Just make it with a retractable roof and get the best of both worlds.  And please make bigger bathrooms, the wait can be rediculous.

Retractable roofs are a waste of money. An extra $300-500MM for what amounts to a sunroof. Better to build something like US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. Glass roof with walls that open.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

A substantial increase in ticket prices will come with a new stadium. That goes without saying. If the current facility is refurb'd, then maybe, not so much. If I want to go to a (cough!) 'trendy restaurant' (as has been mentioned here, as a perk of a new facility) I can do that somewhere else. The current Stadium has excellent sight lines, and Arrowhead, and Lambeau field, are doing quite well, in their advanced age. We can do the same here, without breaking the bank of the people who actually support the team.

I love the stadium where it is and how it is. BUT.....as I posted earlier, if my car needs repairs that cost roughly half the cost of a new car, I’m getting a new car. 

We’ve been missing @Kirby Jackson for a while, but he has often explained the reasons a new stadium and the revenue streams should be expected. He knows what he’s talking about, and it made sense to me. 

I don’t go to an NFL game for fancy restaurants, but a former client/buddy invited us to join him at his season tix in Jacksonville. Not NYC, Dallas, Chicago or LA, but Jacksonville. The seats were outdoors, but attached to an indoor dining area where beer, wine and food were “free”. (Mixed drinks were extra.) This was not hot dogs and Bud Lite, we’re talking sautéed sea bass and quality wines. In Jacksonville! He used it to impress clients and staff, and US, and it worked! Face value of tix were $380 and that was 10-15 years ago.

I’ve never been to KC for a game, but hope to correct that!  Lambeau is nothing special other than the surrounding neighborhoods being so cool. The stadium is as Plain Jane as the FSU stadium. 

I try to attend one home game and one road game each year. The ticket price is a drop in the bucket compared to airfare, hotels, car rentals, restaurants, etc. I FULLY understand that the burden is on the season ticket holders who will feel the most pain. I get that and I feel their pain. I’ll do my part by paying more when I buy their unused seats when I come to town. 

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just curious if you priced tickets at Lambeau or Arrowhead?

Retractable roofs are a waste of money. An extra $300-500MM for what amounts to a sunroof. Better to build something like US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. Glass roof with walls that open.

The Minneapolis stadium looks AWESOME! I’d love to go to a game there. Great city! The old stadium was a dump but they got a SB that left me wanting.....

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/31/2021 at 11:05 PM, Mr. WEO said:

NYS didn't drag its feet blowing money on "The Buffalo Billion".  Total scam.

And check out the Lucas Stadium bookings.  After the Final 4, there are 4 non NFL events through next January 10th.  The convention center has  6 events with projected attendance over 4000 through October--and that's with the belief that 7000 will attend "Women of Joy" and 13,500 will be there for "Sweets and Snacks"....  

COVID restrictions.  I work in law enforcement and we have plenty of part time work there.