Bills opening stadium discussions with NYS and Erie County

Big Turk

32 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

The only people who want to keep the tailgating tradition as is are the fans.

The Bills and the NFL want no part of it. It makes them no money and does nothing for "The NFL image"

I understand it from the NFL point of view. When someone inevitably breaks their neck or back, the NFL and the Bills are going to come in hard.

With all due respect, I don't think you're thinking outside of the box here enough. (And, if the Bills Ownership wanted to crack down, they could do it today.)  But with that said with a little creativity they could make the experience safer and better by making it more organized, and charge extra for it at the same time.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lol at the covered seat part. The Bills have the worst wind of any team. Covered seats isn't helping much. 

Wherever it is built, cover the whole stadium. 

A few of you know from my other posts over the years, I'm an architect. Yes, you can certainly design for the winds! And having substantially more covered seats would make the stadium experience a whole lot better for the fans. I'm not voting one way or the other, but the challenges are not that great. Someone will eventually make the decision. Inside or outside, suburbs or downtown.

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

With all due respect, I don't think you're thinking outside of the box here enough. (And, if the Bills Ownership wanted to crack down, they could do it today.)  But with that said with a little creativity they could make the experience safer and better by making it more organized, and charge extra for it at the same time.

A few of you know from my other posts over the years, I'm an architect. Yes, you can certainly design for the winds! And having substantially more covered seats would make the stadium experience a whole lot better for the fans. I'm not voting one way or the other, but the challenges are not that great. Someone will eventually make the decision. Inside or outside, suburbs or downtown.

How would you design for the winds? Why not just a closed roof? I've literally been in the stadium with sideways rain. 

Even on gorgeous days though that wind can be 15mph. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How would you design for the winds? Why not just a closed roof? I've literally been in the stadium with sideways rain. 

Even on gorgeous days though that wind can be 15mph. 

I'm not talking about retrofitting Rich Stadium. That would be much harder given the shape of the upper deck. But, if you had a more consistent upper level, you can shield the stadium from wind and rain. There are many examples all over Europe. It rains all of the time in London and yet in almost every stadium the fans go the match and sit under cover. The field is open to the elements.  And, yes you could cover the field, and make the entire place indoors, but that has a very different feel to it. Again, I'm not voting here! I'm just saying as an Architect, this is just a design problem that you work around. The Bills Ownership will task the Architects with the features that they want, and the Architects will make it happen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm not talking about retrofitting Rich Stadium. That would be much harder given the shape of the upper deck. But, if you had a more consistent upper level, you can shield the stadium from wind and rain. There are many examples all over Europe. It rains all of the time in London and yet in almost every stadium the fans go the match and sit under cover. The field is open to the elements.  And, yes you could cover the field, and make the entire place indoors, but that has a very different feel to it. Again, I'm not voting here! I'm just saying as an Architect, this is just a design problem that you work around. The Bills Ownership will task the Architects with the features that they want, and the Architects will make it happen.

I don't understand the football needs the elements portion.

The Bills finally have a passing attack that is up there with the best in the league. Id rather not have that neutralized by wind, rain, snow etc.

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

I don't understand the football needs the elements portion.

The Bills finally have a passing attack that is up there with the best in the league. Id rather not have that neutralized by wind, rain, snow etc.

There's something to be said for that as well.  But as Architects, we don't make those decisions for our Clients. We're trained to listen to their goals/desires and then build upon them.  Having been to dozens of stadiums both here and abroad, the difference between the outdoor and indoor experience is significant (although Minneapolis comes the closest to replicating outdoors). I'm anxious to attend a game at the new SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles. That is about as close to being outdoors (in fact it isn't really indoors) in a covered, sunlit, controlled environment as you're going to get. 

34 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Regardless of who finances the stadium, WE the Fans, will pay dearly.

true that. But, better to finance it through significant ticket price increases or even PSLs, then put the taxpayer on the hook when local and state finances are already a mess.

20 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

true that. But, better to finance it through significant ticket price increases or even PSLs, then put the taxpayer on the hook when local and state finances are already a mess.

You can't get around the fact pro sports are expensive and a luxury.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

If the new NYS bill passes we wont have to worry.

NYC is going to become a shell of itself with the people and businesses leaving.

NYS is in serious trouble.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

If the new NYS bill passes we wont have to worry.

NYC is going to become a shell of itself with the people and businesses leaving.

NYS is in serious trouble.

Great point.  I do understand the principle of not wanting tax dollars used for the Bills / sports. However, we live in the real world and are not going to reinvent stadium deals as we know them. Of course, we as fans do not get to vote on this stadium thing. I do wonder how many folks objecting on such grounds have contributed to so many far more awful decisions in this state through their actual votes. Much worse decisions than the Bills getting some funding when it’s their turn. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Great point.  I do understand the principle of not wanting tax dollars used for the Bills / sports. However, we live in the real world and are not going to reinvent stadium deals as we know them. Of course, we as fans do not get to vote on this stadium thing. I do wonder how many folks objecting on such grounds have contributed to so many far more awful decisions in this state through their actual votes. Much worse decisions than the Bills getting some funding when it’s their turn. 

Like the "Buffalo Billion"?  Most legislatures will point to that disaster and say no to more money for something as trivial as another stadium.

Which state funding decisions did fans vote on?

1 minute ago, BUFFALOBART said:

For season ticket holders??? ' Trickle Down Economics', will say otherwise...

Season ticket holders will pay more of course--they are the primary beneficiaries of a fancy new stadium outside of the team.

But that's a tiny sliver of the total number of fans.  The rest of the fans will only pay more if they go to a game.  Those watching at home/bar/etc---No change, if Pegula pays for the stadium without public money.  I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say  fans will "pay dearly".

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Season ticket holders will pay more of course--they are the primary beneficiaries of a fancy new stadium outside of the team.

But that's a tiny sliver of the total number of fans.  The rest of the fans will only pay more if they go to a game.  Those watching at home/bar/etc---No change, if Pegula pays for the stadium without public money.  I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say  fans will "pay dearly".

I like how you are in here pushing the idea of "an open-air stadium, paid for 100% by the Pegulas".

Sounds totally realistic. Good luck with that.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I like how you are in here pushing the idea of "an open-air stadium, paid for 100% by the Pegulas".

Sounds totally realistic. Good luck with that.

I'm "pushing for" no public funds for a billionaire's new home.  All taxpayers should be pushing for the same thing. 

I don't therefore have a preference domed or not. 

They can stay in the perfectly functional stadium they are in now.  Pegs can spring for a doll-up of the place if he wants.

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

One reason to replace what we have is what we have is getting old. I know I was surprised to learn that Highmark (meh) Stadium is older than War Memorial was when it was replaced. And those of us old enough to remember that dump believed it was built by the Romans.

But the real reason for a new stadium is money. It's why the NFL has been pushing for one for what seems like forever. As far as the league is concerned, Bills tickets are too cheap. And you can't simply double prices in your current stadium. You have to build a new palace.

And it's more than just ticket prices. Other than charging you for parking, teams don't make money off tailgating. Instead of acres of people eating food they brought with them, replace it with bars and restaurants in and around your new palace, some of which the team owner might have a stake in.

So get ready for change.

I'm certainly not advocating fir keeping the Ralph, or whatever its called these days.  I'm saying it makes more economic sense to stay in OP and use some if the money that would have been spent on infrastructure towards the stadium instead.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, haroldwaide said:

I'm certainly not advocating fir keeping the Ralph, or whatever its called these days.  I'm saying it makes more economic sense to stay in OP and use some if the money that would have been spent on infrastructure towards the stadium instead.

Unless studies show there is more revenue to be made in the long run locating in downtown.

1 hour ago, FarrellsFinest said:

I hope its a Dome! Players hate playing in bad weather. It even hurts when its time to bring in free agents. Stats are effected as well.

I’m sure New England, Pittsburgh and Green Bay would all beg to differ there. They’ve all been super successful for decades despite playing outdoors in the winter. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m sure New England, Pittsburgh and Green Bay would all beg to differ there. They’ve all been super successful for decades despite playing outdoors in the winter. 

I read the stadium report Populous did a few years ago. The major reason for indoor is the amount of events you can do and host like doubles as opposed to out door. If you are going to spend that much money I'd rather have 55-60 things happening a year as opposed to the 20-25 you get outdoor.

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

There's something to be said for that as well.  But as Architects, we don't make those decisions for our Clients. We're trained to listen to their goals/desires and then build upon them.  Having been to dozens of stadiums both here and abroad, the difference between the outdoor and indoor experience is significant (although Minneapolis comes the closest to replicating outdoors). I'm anxious to attend a game at the new SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles. That is about as close to being outdoors (in fact it isn't really indoors) in a covered, sunlit, controlled environment as you're going to get. 

I did Miami pre Canapy and post Canapy and it was like a different stadium. Even though it was like 80% capacity, with the Canapy the sound reverberated tenfold more then the night game I went to without it.

Def an interesting difference to have experienced.